Inconstant performance

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukecart_ted
New Poster

Inconstant performance

I am in Washington State on the East side of the Cascade range and am becoming more frustrated with this imoroved Gen 5 every day.  I have run the tests and have monitored the acctual performance day to day and after 30 days can say with certainty that the biggest problem is inconsistant performance.  It is fast and slow hour to hour and consistantly slow in the evening.  When we want to use it the most of coarse.  I ordered this because the best Centrylink could give me was 1.5 which is painfully slow especially if two devices are downloading at once.  Centrylink customer service is terrable and I was at a deadend with them.  However, that slow speed was cosistant.  With the satalite lag and the inconsistant speed from Hughs Net I have found that the main issue with streaming is that the websites we are trying to stream from, time out waiting for the net packet and then when it finally does come the video has to restart download which is messing up the buffering.  

I have had speed tests in the range of 234 kbps to 22340 so there is speed sometimes and therfore my question is how do I adjust my system so that I

a.) get consistant and steady speeds 24/7 (15000 kbps +)?

b.) not have to reboot more than once per month which is the norm with cable, fiber and hotspot? 

Right now my cell phone Hotspots are working much better than Hughes Net Gen 5 because while thaey are not really fast, they consistantly download 2 to 3 gbps.

I will cancel this Hughes Net servce in the next 5 days if it can not be at least as consistant as Verizon.  (Think about that for a minute!)

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lukecart_ted

What is your "Beam ID" in the Satellite box on the following page?  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information

Also, what is the "Satellite Name"?

EchoStar-19-NAD

Beam ID 5

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lukecart_ted

Okay.  To address the speed issues, some speed tests will need to be performed.  A couple of things of note, make sure to run the tests under an account that you have created at testmy.net, and using a single device connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable.  You should also disable the HT2000W's WiFi while performing the speed tests to make sure that nothing else is utilizing the service while the tests are run.  To steps to do so are 5.c. under "How do I manage my built in Wifi modem?" of the following PDF... http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf  Make sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking the boxes for EACH radio or the settings won't hold (2.4Ghz boxes, then Save Settings, then 2.4Ghz Guest boxes, then Save Settings, then the same for the 5Ghz and 5Ghz Guest radios).  They won't hold if you do all four radios and then click Save Settings. 

Also, make sure to use the manual 25MB test size, and make sure to get a batch of tests at a few different times of the day, if you can.  The most important thing is to establish whether there is a slowdown during certain times,  if it's sporadic, or even if it's slow all the time.  

The rest of the instructions (including some already mentioned) are in the following macro...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while performing the speed tests
-use the 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

We live in Montana and have like problems. Very inconstant performance. We are having difficulties with watching videos on our Iphones, Ipads, and Mac computer. Interestingly enough I have an android and don't have the same issues with my phone. I feel we are being ripped off with our data-when I changed from Century Link I THOUGHT I was working with DishNet. If there is one cloud in the sky it seems to slow the system down. I don't understand why we are able to watch Amazon movies (for the most part) without it freezing up, however, Netflix is a different story. Why???? I feel trapped with product that does not perform and yet I can't get out. With the two year contract it is my understanding the second year, they could and probably will hike up the price... DDub
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@DDub

From what I remember, Hughesnet has never changed pricing of any service plans, however, introductory offers tend to expire after a time, usually 6, 12, or 24 months, depending on the offer.

As far as why performance differs between different services, and different devices...  The Netflix server you are streaming from could be located in a different area, and will certainly have a higher load on it from other Netflix users, thus it may underperform when compared to a server from Amazon that is serving content, as they tend to have fewer subscribers.  The server from Amazon may also be closer to your gateway, thus providing better results.

Another thing that may be problematic is VDS, it will auto-throttle your video streams so that they default to SD, however, some devices do not like this type of behavior.  I suggest manually adjusting your devices, or their software to play in SD or lower, or at a minimum, disable the VDS.

Hughesnet Support: What is the Video Data Saver

I appreciate your response.  As far as cost goes I am sure you are aware that they bring new customers on at a lower price....tell you you are on a 2 year contract but then later learn that the "promotion" is only good 1 year.  So really I have no choice but to pay whatever price they decide.  In reading these blogs it seems to me that HughesNet is telling us how to "adjust" our phones, computer, TV, etc instead of HughesNet fixing their product.  I have counted up to 25 until a web page opens - in fact it took that long to just get this message to respond to it...Does that seem reasonable to you?  I can tell you if I would have known, up front, this was not a DishNet product I would have never have dropped Century Link and they suck.  I will try your suggestions but I doubt it is going to solve these issues.  Of course this is not personal to you but HughesNet sucks worse than Century Link and again, they really suck.