Insane latency over the last week

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
levamentum
Freshman

Insane latency over the last week

Hi there, im using gen 5 sat and ive been able to succesfully play World of Warcraft over the past 6 months with around 500-600 latency, no big deal. But over the course of the last week ive been getting 1500-7000 latency and disconnections. What has changed this since last month when it was working swell?

58 REPLIES 58
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Okay, to allay the confusion, is there something that is positively indicating that your HT1100 modem is shutting off or restarting, and if so, what is it?  

all the blue lights are lighting up and blinking, then all stop and only the bottom one is on solid and starts to reboot i will get disconnected and then it reboots and i can start browsing again

GabeU

Okay, if everything looks fine, then all of a sudden only the bottom light is on, it certainly does sound like the modem is spontaneously rebooting, but I have no clue as to why.  The only thing I can think of to try is to make sure that the plug into the back of the modem is pushed all the way in, and to try plugging the modem directly into an outlet if you presently have it plugged into a strip or surge protector.  Sometimes strips or surge protectors can cause issues with the modems.  Be careful when checking the power plug at the back of the modem as it's delicate.  Just make sure it's pushed in all the way.  

I'll tag the reps so they can see what's going on.   @Liz @Amanda 

4 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2999ms

icmp_seq=1 Destination Net Unreachable

whats does this mean??

GabeU

@levamentum wrote:

4 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2999ms

icmp_seq=1 Destination Net Unreachable

whats does this mean??

It means that your equpment's connection to the system is having a significant issue.  It could be something with your gateway, or your equipment.  I really don't know.   It's clear that there is an issue, though.  They should be able to run diagnostics on the system to see what's going on.  Regarding such, I should have mentioned that, if you don't already, you should leave your modem powered so they are able to run the diagnostics.  They won't be back in the office until Monday, though. 

P.S.  I did get your message, and was about to respond with similar info, in that the reps will have to see what's going on.    

just trying to give as much as possiblejust trying to give as much as possible

GabeU

@levamentum

Any addtional info you give that you think may help will definitely be appreciated by the reps.  A lot of times a problem is solved by the info a customer gives.  🙂

statecodes.jpg

No idea what a 12.1.12 is, but 12-series is usually transmittion related.

13.1.1 indicates the LAN cable was disconnected, but can also mean it didn't see a computer. If it wasn't unplugged manually, it could indicate a bad LAN cable as a minimum.

21.1.4 and .5 have to do with re-associating with the gateway after an outage, like after a rain storm, and the radio re-acquires the satellite.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

When i mouse over it, it says a transmit error has occured. When it was happening the system light on the modem was off for the duration of the error.

I should have taken the sequence of events into account. Looks like the transmit error happened and the modem lost lock for 14 minutes, then it re-aquired. The system light would go down, because the modem was essentially off the HN network.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

any idea on whats causing the events?

Not a clue. The fact that the last 4 digits in the diagnostic code was 0005 means the modem thinks it's ok. You'd usually only see that if the modem spontaneously rebooted, but if it did that the other events would have been erased, so...

Possibilities are there was either a severe rainstorm or cloud cover blocking the dish from the satellite, a tree or some other foliage blew into the path and was blocking the dish, or the beam/gateway had a spurious outage during that 14'. If not any of those things, I'd almost say there's something intermittent with either the modem, the radio in the dish, or the cable that connects the two.

Edit: Add the possibility of a gust of wind possibly blowing an improperly mounted dish temporarily out, then back into alignment. I've heard of weirder things.

I could see how that could be someone's problem but I don't think it's mine. The sat is in clear view of the sky, this has been happening for over a week now of up and down speeds and disconnects and I've tried everything!

Good morning levamentum,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. To begin addressing your concerns, I've run remote diagnostics on your site. At first glance all diagnostics look fine. In digging deeper into your state code history, I am seeing state codes relating to transmission, so please let us investigate this further. I'll post back once we have any questions or news for you.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Awesome I really appreciate the help, been with you guys for 2 years and never a problem like this i dont know if my setup is becoming faulty because of how long i had it or something on your end.

You're welcome. As Gabe suggested a few posts ago, regarding the modem restarts, please ensure that the power cable is secured to the back of the modem, in the power brick, and in the power outlet, as a loose connection can result in the modem restarting.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Everything is plugged in ive checked all the connections. last night was probably the worst of it like 10 mins of downtime. Steady getting transmit errors and uplink error.

for the most part the modem restarts have stopped but when the internet goes down all the lights on the modem are still all on but they stop blinking and become solid.

OK thank you for the confirmation, we'll continue to investigate.

Awesome, let me know if you guys find anything out or if you need me to run any tests i am more than willing to help! I jus want to be able to cruise on the internet and play my games again 😛