cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Problem with the lack of system grounding.

Assistant Professor

Re: Installation Problem with the lack of system grounding.

Thomas, on your pic above I was able to zoom in after clicking on it and see it is 3GHz rated.
Advanced Tutor

I just hope it helps.
Highlighted

Thanks sgoshe I just went out and checked too. Curiosity got to me. It is 3GHz for sure and RC-6 (I think) Maybe RG-6. Either way they had the same ratings just minus the ground wire on the side of it.  

mine is 3.0 GHz , 18AWG
Assistant Professor

Thomas, one thing though, just noticed it is CATV rated, not satellite rated. That is not good.

mine is catv rated also    sgoshe   !!!!    CATV cable FT4
Honorary Alumnus

Reggie,
Time marches on as they say,
Systems and "specs" can change.
And they do ...

The cable that the "installer" reused that used to be good for DirecTV very well is not of the level needed for a high frequency TWO way sat com system.
Sgoshe is correct that current standards call for a coax thatis " swept" to 3GHZ, that its center conductor be solid copperm not copper clad steel.

We have however come to the point that not only do the customers no CARE about their systems and how it worksm but many (sorry Alan) of the installers have no background, no electrical knowledge, no electronic knowledge

There are as you may infer, much more .....
However ... many Hughes users want .... demand ... cable performance. If you tell them that latency is a result of the laws governing the speed of light .... they want to get an Attorney and start a "Class Action".
Honorary Alumnus

Reggie,
Time marches on as they say,
Systems and "specs" can change.
And they do ...

The cable that the "installer" reused that used to be good for DirecTV very well is not of the level needed for a high frequency TWO way sat com system.
Sgoshe is correct that current standards call for a coax thatis " swept" to 3GHZ, that its center conductor be solid copperm not copper clad steel.

We have however come to the point that not only do the customers no CARE about their systems and how it worksm but many (sorry Alan) of the installers have no background, no electrical knowledge, no electronic knowledge

There are as you may infer, much more .....
However ... many Hughes users want .... demand ... cable performance. If you tell them that latency is a result of the laws governing the speed of light .... they want to get an Attorney and start a "Class Action".

Thanks sgoshe that is good to know. both the original and the new say CATV rated. 
Assistant Professor

I'm not sure what is the minimum recommended is. Charles Scott or Alan Thompson would know better. I have to look tomorrow but pretty sure mine says satellite on it.