cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Problem with the lack of system grounding.

Installation Problem with the lack of system grounding.

I have a concern about the recent re install of my dish. Case # 45951103.Upon investigating solutions of the current slow internet speeds I am experiencing as referenced in this post 

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/i-know-this-is-a-surprise-but-i-have-slow-speeds-...             

I have learned that the dish needs to be properly grounded to operate as designed and not create a static buildup on the dish which can contribute to my slow speed and a failure of the radio installed on the dish arm. While I am not sure if this the cause of the problem I am experiencing I do know that my dish isn't properly grounded. Here is a link to one of the places where I acquired this information. 

http://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/my_system_is_not_grounded

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=9283&forum_id=60

I am including a few pictures of the installation for your review. 

Here is a picture of the underside of the radio. Please note there is no ground attached to the radio and the connection to the radio hasn't been weatherproofed with the exception of a dab of dielectric grease to the connection.

Here is a picture of the ground point on the back of the dish.Please note the only connection there is is the strap and a wire just dangling in the air. There isn't a connection from the radio to the ground strap or a connection from there to the main service ground block or to an earth ground. 

Here is a picture of the service ground point please note the lack of a ground connection from the dish to the block, the tight bend of the coax, the undersized wire leading to the electrical service ground and the lack of weather proofing and dielectric grease. I watched the install so I know there is no grease there. Also note the lack of ground from the ground block to the modem inside the house.

Here is a picture of the connection to the electrical service ground and not directly to the grounding rod and the undersized wire. 

While I am not sure that this is the cause of my issue of slow speeds this is definitely an issue and not helping the  problem I am experiencing. It can also cause a future problem of a bad radio. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated in this matter. 
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Installation Problem with the lack of system grounding.

One thing for sure your system is not ground at all  !!! And the loops  are incorrect, but would have to get another more experienced member to address the slowness part !!!~

While I truly do not believe this is my speed issue it is something to address. All the diagnostic codes I receive are uplink errors. 

just wondering where everyone's at , not getting e-mail like i was  is it that quite in here?

and thats the reason i was wondering where all were at !!

Must be a good TV night...lol

Thomas , you did see in your post how your loops were suppose to look , now that in itself is a hughe mistake and now wondering if it is even looped ,    here we go again , left-hand or right  hand loop you are suppose to have , and that will make a big difference in your system    but only one doing the install should have checked , not saying it's right or wrong , but from the looks of your installation, i wouldn't doubt it !!!! we had a session about this once before about this
Honorary Alumnus

Your speed issues may or may not be related but ... a proper installation is the foundation upon which everything else is built .
Honorary Alumnus

Here is a comparison to Tom's #1 picture of the underside of the transmitter:

Note the attachment of the ground wire to the metal body of the transmitter. That wire will terminate at a connection bolt on the "degree angle bracket" on the back side of the reflector.

Note also that the coax connector has been further weather sealed against moisture penetration.

Good afternoon Thomas,

Certainly this is an issue we want to investigate. Based on your images, it looks like you're missing the wire above that Gwalk has indicated from the transmitter. From our field services, I don't believe this was a required part of the grounding, but I could be wrong (since I work in a completely different department). Our best route of action is to get a trained technician on site to evaluate the grounding and reconstruct it to specification. We will be setting up a work order to dispatch a technician to your home.

Obviously as you have stated, this may not be directly related to your current issue, but we want to make sure your installation is to code and correct.

Thank you,
Amanda