Hughesnet Community

Interesting Discussion: How to set a Windows 10 Ethernet Connection as Metered to control Updates, Drivers, Store, etc.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan Thompson

Interesting Discussion: How to set a Windows 10 Ethernet Connection as Metered to control Updates, Drivers, Store, etc.

9 REPLIES 9
Chris11
Alum

Good Morning Alan,

This is great info. Don't know why they haven't already implemented this. Just doesn't make sense to have one(WiFI) but not the other by default. 

- Chris
foxbrook
Sophomore

Here is a more detailed set of instructions for anyone who wants to try this:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/meter-your-ethernet-connection-in-windows-10/
deepdiver1
Sophomore

I get an error when I run Mediacost.cmd. "'subincl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,..."
subincl.exe is installed in the proscribed tools directory. I am running it as admin. I'll recheck the second link from foxbrook to see if I missed something.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

This is only possible in the latest preview builds AFAIK.  It's a feature coming in the anniversery update this summer to everyone else.
foxbrook
Sophomore

I just ran through the instructions from the cnet article and I did get it to work. Follow the instructions exactly. I goofed up on the permissions setting the first time around.

I'd also strongly recommend you back up the registry before making the changes.
deepdiver1
Sophomore

I also got it done with regedit it after script failed.
foxbrook
Sophomore

I recently came across a third party app called Winaero Tweaker that has a switch to set an ethernet connection as metered. I've found it to be a lot more convenient than using regedit. 

http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

This app does not seem to install any bloatware or adware that I can tell. It seems clean.

Still bugs me that MS is making us turn to third party apps to get Win10 to behave.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Remember to re-visit that setting after each and every Windows Update as those tend to reset core Windows setting to default values in a much different manner than previous MS update behavior.

foxbrook
Sophomore

Yes, very true.