cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Discussion: How to set a Windows 10 Ethernet Connection as Metered to control Updates, Drivers, Store, etc.

Interesting Discussion: How to set a Windows 10 Ethernet Connection as Metered to control Updates, Drivers, Store, etc.

9 REPLIES 9
Alum

Re: Interesting Discussion: How to set a Windows 10 Ethernet Connection as Metered to control Updates, Drivers, Store, etc.

Good Morning Alan,

This is great info. Don't know why they haven't already implemented this. Just doesn't make sense to have one(WiFI) but not the other by default. 

- Chris
Sophomore

Re: Interesting Discussion: How to set a Windows 10 Ethernet Connection as Metered to control Updates, Drivers, Store, etc.

Here is a more detailed set of instructions for anyone who wants to try this:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/meter-your-ethernet-connection-in-windows-10/
Freshman

I get an error when I run Mediacost.cmd. "'subincl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,..."
subincl.exe is installed in the proscribed tools directory. I am running it as admin. I'll recheck the second link from foxbrook to see if I missed something.
Associate Professor

This is only possible in the latest preview builds AFAIK.  It's a feature coming in the anniversery update this summer to everyone else.
Sophomore

I just ran through the instructions from the cnet article and I did get it to work. Follow the instructions exactly. I goofed up on the permissions setting the first time around.

I'd also strongly recommend you back up the registry before making the changes.
Freshman

I also got it done with regedit it after script failed.
Sophomore

I recently came across a third party app called Winaero Tweaker that has a switch to set an ethernet connection as metered. I've found it to be a lot more convenient than using regedit. 

http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

This app does not seem to install any bloatware or adware that I can tell. It seems clean.

Still bugs me that MS is making us turn to third party apps to get Win10 to behave.
Honorary Alumnus

Remember to re-visit that setting after each and every Windows Update as those tend to reset core Windows setting to default values in a much different manner than previous MS update behavior.

Sophomore

Yes, very true.