Intermittant loss of service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamradio
Senior

Intermittant loss of service

My connection had been slow and is worse with the current high load, but...

Now I am getting intermittant total loss of connectivity.   A data point: About 8PM EST Hnet went dark.   A bit before 9 PM (and multiple power-down resets), I got service.  Only lasted a few minutes, then down again.   A few minutes after 9PM regained connection.

The status code indicated a transmit error along with other errors.

Attached is am image with notations.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Woody

@Liz 

20 REPLIES 20
hamradio
Senior

BTW,  This has happened a couple of times in the past week..

Woody

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Where's your gateway, Woody?

Is this the correct info?

IPGW ID

J2SDO068HNSIGW1201

More info:   ...BTW, the modem finally finished "Updating"

Satellite
Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID14
Beam ID68
Outroute ID4
maratsade

Yes, that's correct. You're on the San Diego gateway.  That was having some issues earlier -- right now it's working fine for me though, so this may mean it was fixed. 

EDIT: you're on the same beam as me too (68).  I think all of us on 68 were experiencing the intermittent issues. 

Thanks...  Now to hope the fix holds.   It seems to have problems off and on during the past week.

You probably know this, but...  I first tried calling phone tech support.  The computer said they were not answering the phone.

It also said to go online to Hnet.   That does not work so well when the problem is no service!  😉  😉

maratsade

Yes, I think we're in an episode of The Twilight Zone.  It's bizarre, but I hope that they will come up with creative solutions to the customer service problem.  The congestion from everyone being at home might be something we have to deal with for a long time, unfortunately. 

So far the connection is holding for me. I hope it's working for you too. 

GabeU

It's me and my still occuring perpetual modem update.  I jinxed it for everyone.  😛  

Still working.   So far, so good!   Stay well!

Woody

maratsade

We're coming for you, @GabeU 😉

New Update - Strange one

Lost Hnet again from about 8PM EST until about 8:30PM.  What was weird is that the modem checked all good.  The "Connectivity Test" said all was well also.   However web site requests, and even pings failed.  Wondered if it was a DNS issue, but flushing DNS did not help.

I then did a modem power-down reset.  When It finished booting, I had connectivity.   Don't know if renewed conectivity was a matter of passing time or if the restart fixed it.  ?????

Woody

@GabeU 

GabeU

@hamradio 

I wonder if the power cycle putting it on a new beam channel helped.  Though not yet with what's going on now, I've had times where my connection has gone goofy, even with the stats still looking good, and a power cycle has helped.  

Or maybe around 8PM your modem took at look at the system and said, "Okay, that's it!  I'm taking a break."  😛  J/K!  

Considering that so many things I own "act up", it must be the latter 😉

Thanks for the reply...

Happy to report that for the past few days, have experienced only one 5 minute outage.  Modem thought all was well.  A modem power-down restored connectivity.

Woody

Well, I spoke too soon.   Now loosing connection one or more times per day.   So far a power-down modem reset restores the connection, but this is a pain-in-the-butt method for maintaining Hnet connections.   ...The modem typically thinks all is well, but no connection - Ping can't find a site.

If it is the gateway...  Any reports on how much longer the (apparent) SDO gateway will be having problems?

Thanks,  Woody

Connection was pretty decent most of Monday 4-13, on the fast side.  When I tried to get online after having been away for dinner (~8 PM EST), Hnet was gone yet again, while the modem was quite happy, thinking all was OK.  A power-down reset got me back online.

Any developments about this problem?

Woody

@GabeU 

GabeU

@hamradio 

I'm not really sure of any updates.  And, to be honest, I'm surprised that a rep hasn't yet replied.

Hopefully one will soon.

That a power cycle restores the service each time, or at least the last three times, is interesting.  Don't get me wrong, I know that a power cycle can often do this, but that it keeps happening is what's odd.  

@Liz @Damian

@hamradio,

It appears beam 68 on Echostar 19 is still experiencing degradation with no immediate relief available. I understand this is inconvenient but the best we can do is wait for this to be fixed for all. Engineering is still working hard on this issue, as we are receiving many reports of this. I will continue to check daily for an update and will post here once available.  

-Damian 

Damian,

Thanks for the info.  I hope they can get if fixed before too long.  I have lost track, but it seems to have been a couple of weeks or more since the issue appeared.

Woody

@Damian 

Whatever the problem, no fix.  My modem still requires one or more resets per day.   Going on a month now...

Not only that but performance is truly poor, even considering an increase in system load.  After observing particularly poor performance (12 PM EST, 4-21-20)  ran a testmy 25 MB download check.   

The test indicated 145 Mbps when ir finally finished - BUT DUE TO THE POOR THROUGHPUT, THE 25MB DOWNLOAD TEST TOOK 27 MINUTES TO COMPLETE.   Don't know what the data rate was when it was actually sending data, but the long periods of inactivity resulted in this unbelievably poor performance.  This is totally unacceptable.  Hnet needs to actually fix their system, not just say for weeks that "engineering is working on it".

Please get it fixed!

Woody

@Damian