Intermittent State Code 12.1.9

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbaldwin
Freshman

Intermittent State Code 12.1.9

I'm now on my 8th call to tech support for this problem. Despite the long initial wait to get to a tech, for the first couple of calls I was pretty impressed with the response from tech support. After the calls this morning, not so much. 

The last couple of days the connection to the internet has been slow with random timeouts to any website. Looking at the sat modem control panel, the state code shows up as 12.1.9 when the problems occur then clears to 0.0.0 when things are fine. The weather today is cloudy, but the last two days it has been clear with light winds so the issue isn't weather related. Rebooting the modem will clear up the problem for about 30 minutes, then it starts occurring again. 

This was supposed to be escalated to an advanced tech, but that hasn't happened. Each time I call, the tech that answers wants to go through the same troubleshooting steps. I finally got to speak to a supervisor and was basically blown off. So definitely not impressed with tech support at this point. The last tech that I spoke to, Robert Cruz, said that the notes on the ticket indicate that the advanced techs want to talk to me about the problem. The supervisor I spoke to says they don't transfer calls to the advanced techs. At this point I want someone to come out here and troubleshoot the system. From what I've read in other posts it seems the modem will need to be replaced. 

5 REPLIES 5
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

12.1.9 is usually indicative of power quality issues...  Is your modem plugged into a power strip?  If it is, can you plug it directly into a wall outlet?  Can you try a different outlet all together?

I normally plug it into a surge suppresor. I moved it to a different outlet to see what would happen. Started getting the 12.1.9 state code within 15 minutes. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I will assume when you tried a different outlet that you tried with, and with out the surge suppression.  @Amanda or @Liz will need to perform remote diagnostics to see if anything may come up, such as an alignment issue.

Curious, do you happen to have any trees or foliage near the dish that could potentially obstruct the view?

When I moved to a different outlet I only tried it without the surge suppressor. I wanted to limit the number of possible causes. There's nothing that would interfere with the signal. This first started two days ago. Prior to that it was working fine.

I finally got someone on the phone to schedule a tech to come out and check out the system. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. I'll post an update with the results of that visit. 

The tech came out and ran some diagnostics, discussed what had been happening, verified the dish alignment, and couldn't find anything wrong at that particular time. The state code history in the modem control panel showed that it was getting the 12.1.9 code about 40% of the time since the last restart. Based on that he replaced the radio (transceiver??) on the dish itself and ran the registration process for the modem again. It's been a bit over three hours since he left and things are running fine. He recommended upgrading to the Gen5 modem, so I'll be looking into that soon.