cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection problems

Intermittent connection problems

I constantly have intermittment connection issues and I CANNOT LIVE STREAM EVER!!!!  Forget Watching a movie!  I hate HughesNet!!!  A tech came and said that it is the best they can do with how the signal "spirals down"!!!???  
18 REPLIES 18
Alum

Re: Intermittent connection problems

Hi michelle,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. I pulled up your account and I see that your diagnostics point to a problem with your equipment. How is your network set up? Do you use a router? If so, please plug your modem directly into one computer and see if this persists. I also noticed that you have a open RMA, which means an agent sent out a new modem. Were you able to get it installed? Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Chris

Thank you Chris.  Yes, I have installed the new modem and the problem definitely still exists when I plug my computer directly into the cable and don't use my router.  A tech came out and replaced the part of the satellite that points to the dish for the second time in 2 years.  He told me that he got the signal as good as it would get....and the "spiraling" down of the signal is the problem.  I truly think he did all he could as he was here for 2 hours.  I have had problems like this for over 3 years and your tech support is absolutely no help!  AND THEY CAN BARELY SPEAK ENGLISH!
Alum

Hi Michelle,

Is your modem plugged into a surge protector? This can sometimes happen with “Dirty power”. It is an abnormality in the power quality that is being delivered to a system. These abnormalities can include low powerfactor, voltage variations, frequency variations, and surges. 

Also, what operating system are you using? Please also check that your wifi card on your computers are not set to go to sleep. If you have windows here are some directions on how to make sure this is not happening:

http://www.stenograph.com/HelpDeskDocs/CaseViewNet/How_to_disable_Power_Management_settings_on_your_...

We hope to hear back from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris

Chris,  I've done everything that you suggested and it is still happening and it is very very frequent....like every 10 to 20 minutes!   I've checked my cisco router software and it often says I have no internet connection.  And yes, it is still happening when plugged directly into the modem.....

have you made sure that the router does not use the same IP as the Modem.
The HN Modem uses 192.168.0.1, set your modem to anything else, such as 192.168.1.1. If they are sharing the same ip it will cause these issues also
Honorary Alumnus

What IP address to you have the routers LAN IP set to ?

What operating system do you have ?

Go to Device Manager and double check the power settings of all Ethernet adopters:

Wired: (my wired is never used as this is a laptop)

Wireless:

Honorary Alumnus

Set your ROUTER to 192.168.1.1

Your Modem is at 192.168.0.1 and can not be changed.

(also insure that DHCP is enable in the router)

With a "timeout" occurring with the same regularity it points to either a adopter power setting or a networking "lease" not being renegotiated properly.

Also, do your really lose the internet connection or is this just a notification by the systray icon ?

I have windows 8.1.....The ROUTER and Modem are set to exactly the above.  And yes....I cannot connect to the internet on ANY DEVICE....ipad, phone, laptop etc.....I loose the internet connection entirely!!!!
Honorary Alumnus

Then this would seem to point towards an issue between the Modem and the Router.

Have you looked at the error history logs within the Modems SCC ?