cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent download speeds

Intermittent download speeds

New to Hughes.net(9/20/2015), had a couple of hiccups the first few days. Then all was good. Then the hurricane showed up and so did the problems. I soon learned that I was hasty in blaming the hurricane. In running speed test, all is good until afternoon(EST) and especially evening. I've read some of the posts concerning the same problem(Steve and Dick) and I need some help. 

Ironically, I left Frontier Communications because of extremely bad internet service and customer service. My speeds were less than 100Kbps  in the evening hours......they knew about the problem but couldn't/wouldn't tell me when it would be repaired. The only alternative was Hughes.net................

Now get this when I talked to a sales rep and explained my frustration I was told....................

That I would be receiving 10Mbps and.....................unlike Frontier they would "guarantee" the 10Mbps and she repeated that statement when I brought up using the computer in the evenings. She said "I would not be sharing a feed like I did @ Frontier".

I've been around awhile and I knew that statement might not be totally accurate but I was really pissed at Frontier.

I have really been happy with the speed, especially when it was not always at 10Mbps because Hughes.net's bad day is still 10x's better than Frontier.

What I need is a gentle nudge in the right direction to ease my pain.............I really would like to avoid reading about past complaints...............and get the current solution.

Respectfully,

tw

71 REPLIES 71

Re: Intermittent download speeds

"To get a true speed test disconnect all devices from your modem and connect just one computer directly to the modem. Then run speed tests at various times during the day (at least 5) from testmy.net of from the location you have been using."

As I had surmised when scanning past complaints...................Now it's a matter of locating a Cat 10 cable long enough to reach.. Modem's in the basement, computers two(2) floors up.

What I haven't come to grips with is the flucuating strength of the signal. Wouldn't the problem be consistent if it was the equipment?

tw

ps: ran another speed(using hughes.net)..............10.148Mbps @11:47p EST and now 11.361Mbps @ 12:11a EST....................???

Good morning tw,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. We can certainly help address your speed concerns, thank you for posting your speed tests! You're already a step ahead. I'll pull up your account and run remote diagnostics on your site to make sure the HughesNet equipment is working normally. However, as Bill suggested, if we want to escalate your case, we must have speed tests from a computer/laptop that's directly plugged into the HughesNet modems so we may best evaluate your speeds. Please let me know once you've been able to do this.

Looking forward to hearing back from you so we can address your concerns.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

Not sure why you would need anything higher than Cat6 since the modem cant run higher than 50Mbps even though it has a gigabit lan port, the signal will fluctuate when there is bad weather at your gateways location, or your location, in my case I live in NE Oklahoma but my gateway is in North Platte NE and when it storms in North Platte NE my signal drops as well as when it rains here in Oklahoma

TY Charles......Your timing is unbelieveable..............I was lead to believe cat10 was a must but, as i just found out, they're hard to find. I just now logged on to ask if a 10 was really necessary....Smiley Wink 
New Poster

I have Cat6 cables as long as 100' and they work great, I bought mine through Newegg.com they have every length premade that a person would ever need and they are not that expensive, I think the last one I bought was a 50' with snag-less ends for $15

How does one determine their gateway location?

ps, thanks for the lead on Newegg.com
New Poster

there is another place that others use but dont remember the name, hopefully sgoshe or gwalk or Charles Scott will chime in
New Poster

look in the system control center (192.168.0.1) and click on the system status and it shows there
New Poster

what are the first 3 letters