cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent download speeds

Re: Intermittent download speeds

Thanks for the reply. Will find and use after this post.

What I'm scratching my head about is how fast the DA's disappeared in one day! I downloaded the status meter and kept an eye on it. It showed little or no movement for 20 days(95%) and then......swoosh!! I'm not complaining, just confused. Would the speed tests use it up?
I read that NETFLIX counts against my allowance, as does YOUTUBE, watching "any" video but as have been consistently using my computer for the past 22 days; what am I missing?

My wife did SKYPE for a couple of hours with her grandkids yesterday!?

tw

ps I just tested the speed............slow.............but I still can use NETFLIX? What can't I do when when DA is exhausted?

Hi tw,

As a new HughesNet subscriber your data allowance resets daily for the first 20 days. This is done as a courtesy to allow all your devices to update that may have not been connected to the internet for a while. I understand this makes gauging your normal data usage difficult, so if you like, I can extend your initial 30-day trial period by another month, just let me know. 

Running speed tests will use your data, which is why I sent you tokens so that you may run the required speed tests for our engineers.

If the data allowance is exceeded, your speed will be reduced to approximately 150kbps, probably not enough to watch Netflix. You should be able to browse some websites and check e-mail. You can learn more about our Fair Access policy here: http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen4.cfm

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Honorary Alumnus

tw,
New users have their data allowance refilled daily for the first 20 days.
This allows a user to get everything on their network fully updated with depleting their allowance.

Thanks Liz,

Just read the FAP and it was very helpful...............Tho, I wish I would had known about the resets(I thought I was doing great). I do need a clearer understanding about uploading/downloading photos.
I understand when I use the Internet it counts against my  DA but when I upload photos from my camera to LR or download same to  cd/dvd/flash drive??

tw
Honorary Alumnus

Network activity that is within you LAN, does not count.
Upload and download activity that runs through the modem counts.

If you upload data to a "cloud" type of backup service such as Carbonite .. that counts...
If you upload pictures to Facebook, that counts .....
If you have some pictures in your camera and connect it to your computer .. that does not count.

Only the stuff that goes through your modem.

Hi gwalk,

So, If listen to music from pandora, tunein  and such, that counts,as well as skypeing. Correct?

Is there a way to determine how much DA I'm going use before hand when choosing to view/listen.

tw
Honorary Alumnus

Yes
Honorary Alumnus

Well, if its a file download, then the file size will be listed.
If streaming, use the lowest resolution .... HD movies will eat you alive.

One last question..................Using Adobe Lightroom and/or Photoshop CC should NOT count against DA unless I am downloading updates...............correct?