Intermittent internet loss Status Code 12.7.1 A transient problem has occurred

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChicagoJohn
Freshman

Intermittent internet loss Status Code 12.7.1 A transient problem has occurred

A week ago our internet started dropping sporadically, sometimes 4 or 5 times in an hour.  When this happens, we get the Status Code of "12.7.1 A transient problem has occurred" from the modem.  I've called tech support many times and most recently they sent a new modem which was installed yesterday and we had no problems throughout the day, but this morning it's happening again with 6 drops in three hours this morning and three calls so far to tech support.  By the time it gets to the advanced tech support people, it has come back and they say they can't diagnose the problem after it has resolved itself.  We've had the service for almost a year with generally good results until this started happening a week ago.  Any help or advice would be appreciated !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi John,

I really appreciate you continuing to monitor your performance over the weekend even though you're getting Gen 5 Monday. Your feedback would be useful to our engineers and would further validate that the fix was effective. 

Also, thank you for your compliment, it means a lot to me.Cat Happy Don't hesitate to post back in the community about your Gen 5 experience, and let us know if you have any other concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@MSmith wrote:

I've seen in this string a post by CORROSIVE.  He brings up our fault code 12.7.1 as usually meaning the weather had a role to play.  With respect,(because I'm the dumb one in this mix) I agree that the weather can cause problems.  But, I've had my system for seven years and I've NEVER seen this before.  If it is the weather, then, all of a sudden, every day, several times a day, for the past thirty days the weather has gotten ugly for very brief periods of time!  I'm not buying it. 

Weather at the users location isn't the only weather that matters, your signal comes down in an entirely different location in the country, and weather there can also cause 12.7.1 and 12.1.9 to occur.  That aside, as I also stated, many things can cause those errors, it would require all posters in this thread essentially being on the exact same beam, which is unlikely as there appears for be 4 or so beams for Illinois. 

A more likely scenario as to why that installer is suddenly replacing so many transmitters?  There may be issues with them after so many years, and with the bulk of consumers signing up as soon as Jupiter One went online, a sudden spike in lets say, a potentially bad batch of transmitters that may have been made, being replaced may not be out of the question.  But that is a potential scenario, not saying it has occured, but there are times in production when a bad batch of anything can make it out the doors, for anyone.

I have also had installers talk to me about things before, "yeup, seeing a lot of X Y and Z lately" but at the same time I have learned to ignore them because they are trained to install and service the equipment and that's it.  They don't have diagnostic information, failure rates, or anything else to base claims off of.  This goes for more than Hughesnet, it extends into all fields from HVAC contractors to Satellite installers.  They may have had a bad rash with something because of 10 bad units and suddenly, "it's the manufactures fault, they are horrible", when they happened to get 10 units that was in the same package and the package potentially mishandled and damaged the units internally.

Just because you had never seen 12.7.1 in seven years during incliment weather, doesn't mean the error never occured before either.

All of that aside, let Liz and the engineers take a look and figure things out, but it may take time to find and fix the issue, and even more time if it is in fact a widespread issue.

Just reporting another incident at 7:55 am CDT this morning 3/15/17.  Same profile - down 5 minutes then up again, "12.7.1 A transmit problem has occurred". Clear sky full sun. Weather map completely clear for the entire United States except for some of the Pacific Northwest.

Good morning John,

Thank you for confirming there's no obstruction. After reviewing your logs, we've determined that your case be escalated to one of our corporate engineers for their input. I'll post back once we have any news to share.

I appreciate your cooperation and patience as we work to address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

Here's hoping that an answer is found and a fix is installed.  Along with a clear explaination of why and how.  After all we users do pay the bills.

Thanks for any help,

Michael

@MSmith wrote:

Liz,

Here's hoping that an answer is found and a fix is installed.  Along with a clear explaination of why and how.  After all we users do pay the bills.

Thanks for any help,

Michael

Ditto, Michael.  

I would suggest that it could be helpful if you, MSmith, and anyone else experiences this problem were to report the date, time, duration, modem status code (12.7.1), and your general location for each occurrence observed.  If I were Liz, I think these data could possibly be of use.

Also, following the two occurrences yesterday, we've not observed any more. If there were one or two a day, I wouldn't consider it a significant, though it would be helpful to understand what and why.  However, when it happens 5 times an hour over a span of several hours, accompanied by wide fluctions in download speed tests run back-to-back, that is another matter entirely because it renders the service essentially unuseable. Luckily that has not been happening for the past several days, but our concern is that in the absence of a root cause or correction action, there is no reason we might not expect it to happen frequently again any time.

Hi John,

Good to hear it hasn't been happening frequently lately, but I agree, we do want to see what could be the cause of the disconnects before and address that.

Hi folks,

Just letting you know we're still tracking down the possible root cause of the disconnects. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

@Liz wrote:

Hi folks,

Just letting you know we're still tracking down the possible root cause of the disconnects. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Thanks so much, Liz.  I really appreciate your effort.  We have been down to 1 or 2 a day which, for me, does not present a significant problem, versus the 4-5 per hour and associated sporadic extreme minute-to-minute variation in ltra slow download speeds.  

We almost made it through today without any observed, but there was one at about 7:13 pm CDT that resolved itself in about 5 minutes without action on our part.  I have not re-booted the modem since you so instructed.  I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your investigation.

Hello I live in mid mo and began experiencing similar issues yesterday. Today alone the internet has stopped over 10 times. Always showing 12.7.1. The weather both here and my gateway location (Nebraska) is crystal clear. I have a tech scheduled for tomorrow but am not very hopeful after reading of others efforts. Hopefully a resolution can be found as this does not seem like an isolated incident.

I hope you will continue to record incidents as they occur in this thread.  My problem about two weeks ago started out at a high frequency like yours accompanied by extreme variation in download speeds over a brief period; e.g., from 200 kbps to 10Gbps within the space of 5 or 10 minutes, jumping back and forth.  They scheduled a tech visit but then the system returned to normal.  Then it started up again and they sent me a new modem.  Thought that solved it but after a day it started again, albeit at reduced frequency.

For the past several days we have been observing one or two incidents per day.  One today at 3:50 pm CDT. "12.7.1 A transmit problem has occurred". Resolved itself after about five minutes.  Liz said they will be monitoring in an effort to identify the root cause and that I should not reboot my modem.

Hi John,

Thank you for this latest update, I've let the engineer know and he will do some additional monitoring on your site now that we've gathered more specifics from your modem. I do appreciate your cooperation and patience as we work on this.

Outtage at 8:45 am this morning, 3/21/17, in the middle of a financial transaction - 12.7.1 A transmission problem has occurred. I guess I'll have to start using my cell phone as a hot spot for financial transactions until this gets resolved because Hughesnet has become too unreliable.  We lose our phone service when it goes out too so we have to rely on cell phones for anything of importance now.  

So I am not able to post a picture of my log but on the 24 hr log 7 of the hours have red X's. The number is actually greater then that number since it was good my out every 10-15 mins yesterday. Currently today it has only gone out 2 times. The tech should be here within the hour but he didn't seem very optimistic.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just curious...

For the ones having 12.7.1 come up, are you uploading anything at all when this happens?  Posting a picture to facebook or sharing things with friends on messenger, or anything that would result in data being uploaded in a decent quantity?

Just to add a little something, if this error can be triggered by a level of upload activity do you KNOW what devices are connected at the time of the error occurance and are your running software such as Glasswire that will show the time, amount, direction and program or process that is using data?

Glasswire week snip.PNG

Hi cmw8r8,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! If you're still observing issues with your system performance after your site visit, please start a new thread. I'm hoping the tech replaced your radio because when I ran diagnostics on your site earlier, they indicated that your radio may have gone bad.

The tech ran a few test did a reinstall and did not swap out any equipment. Said everything looked good. About and hour later I called him back as the issue was still continuing. He suggested I upgrade to gen5 but after speaking to a customer service rep It would cost me about a $800-900 more over the next to year to keep the same data package. The rep is sending a new modem to see if that resolves the problem. I can start a new thread with updates going forward. Was just hoping that my issue was related to others and wanted to follow what the end result is.

Hi everyone, especially John, Michael, and cmw8r8, 

Our engineers confirmed a timing issue affecting your beams, 21 and 29. A fix for this has been recommended to the network engineers, but the implementation date has yet to be determined. Once I get word on when this will roll out, I will let you know.

Thank you again for providing details, this helped us greatly. I'll keep you posted. 

@Liz wrote:

Hi everyone, especially John, Michael, and cmw8r8, 

Our engineers confirmed a timing issue affecting your beams, 21 and 29. A fix for this has been recommended to the network engineers, but the implementation date has yet to be determined. Once I get word on when this will roll out, I will let you know.

Thank you again for providing details, this helped us greatly. I'll keep you posted. 

Thank you so much.  It is GREAT to finally have a root cause.  We look forward to resolution.  

It may help to continue documenting events so today, 8:50 am CDT 3/22/17 12.7.1 A transmit problem has occurred.  Down for five minutes.

1:35 pm CDT 3/22/17 "12.7.1 A transmit problem has occurred" while watching a YT video.  Resolved in about 5 minutes.  I will continue reporting when I observe an occurrence, but I'm only using the internet part of the time, of course.  

Great, thanks John!