Internet Connectivity issues, slow loading, system status errors

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carrie.dib
New Poster

Internet Connectivity issues, slow loading, system status errors

We have been having issues for over a week, dealing with poor connectivity, slow internet, and major system issues.   I called twice today, first they told me they were sending a signal to my modem and to call back in an hour, the call back resulted in the issue being the flurries in my area, and not being able to diagnose anything further. 

While I was on the phone with the second rep, I had no less than 5 error codes on my "state codes" ranging from 30.1.1, 12.7.1, 21.1.4, 21.1.5, 23.1.4. 

My signal strength is typically around 105 (I don't know if that's good or bad). 

I was told to call back when the weather is clear and there is nothing else they can do.  

These issues have happened for over a week, two days were clear and cloud free.   Thoughts?  I don't think it's the snow flurries and wind.   Do I really just have to wait it out until I have a clear day until they look at the issue? 
15 REPLIES 15
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

carrie.dib,

Keep in mind that the Gateway can be affected by adverse weather conditions, as well.  The signal goes from your dish to the satellite, then down to the Gateway, the into the internet, then everything in reverse.  So, while it may be clear where you are, it's not necessarily the same at the other end of the signal.  With that said, a week straight seems to be a while to be affected by weather. 

The Official Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  You'll most likely get a reply from one tomorrow.  Also, now that you've started this thread, I would stick with dealing with the reps on here.  That's not to say that you can't call them if you want to, but only that the reps on here are more equipped to help you with your issues as they are at the corporate office in MD and have more direct access to engineers and such if they are needed to help with a problem.  That's just my opinion, though.   

The reps may need a case number from a phone call or the serial number from your modem to locate your account.  Those to pieces of info are fine to post, but don't divulge any personal info on here, like your account number (SAN - usually starts with DSS) or email address.   

Good luck. 

carrie.dib
New Poster

Thanks, Gabe!  I understand about the weather, but I live in a huge snowbelt, and this isn't our first tango with a blizzard this winter-- which has never led to an issue for this long.   I understand it can cause issues- on both ends- which is why I didn't push it on the call (seems that Tier 1 help has their hands tied).  And I agree on your opinion about making more calls, thanks!  

For the techs: the case numbers from the calls are: 
102166375 and 102168078
Amanda

Good morning Carrie,

Welcome to our community! We were able to locate your account with the information you provided and I just did a quick look right now. I see you've exceeded your monthly download allowance which will definitely cause slower speeds. This does not explain the other problems you are having with those state codes which do indicate to me there is a signal or cabling issue. I would like some time to run deeper diagnostics today and will keep an eye on your local weather to compensate for any low end results. I appreciate your patience while I look into this for you!

Thanks,
Amanda
carrie.dib
New Poster

That's weird Amanda, the status meter says I have over 9GB left.  We were oddly losing a ton of data around the 27th/28th, and I say oddly because we were having the same issues then (We couldn't reliably connect, but were burning through data).  

Thank you for looking into it.   

Carrie
Amanda

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for clarifying. I didn't check the second case number you gave and after looking at that one, it seems the first case number 102166375 pulls up another customer's account. The correct one should be 102166275 if you want that for your records.. I've got the right account now, good thing you let me know! 

Thanks again
Amanda
carrie.dib
New Poster

Amanda

Carrie,

Well, I didn't need to go far into the diagnostics to find the problem. Unless you've been having terrible weather since August, you definitely have an alignment problem. I wanted to make sure it was not a line of sight issue and in looking at the installation photos I see the dish is installed very near the edge of your roof. I am wary this might be the troublesome but cannot be sure without extended data to review. I would like to send a technician out to re-point your dish, however if it falls out of alignment again we should talk about moving the dish somewhere else.

Let me know the best days and time frames for me to get a technician out there. The visit will of course be at no cost to you.

Thank you,
Amanda
carrie.dib
New Poster

Hi Amanda, 

Thank you!!  Yes, the dish is at the VERY edge of my roof.   We live in a fairly windy area, as well, but have wide open skies.   I'm game for moving the dish if that is needed. 
I'm available today after 1pm, or really any day from 8am - 4:30pm EST

Thank you, again
Carrie
Amanda

Hello Carrie,

I've set up the technician visit but was not able to get a calendar to schedule it. The technician will call you to your phone number ending in 1110 to schedule a date and time that works for you. Please let me know how it goes or if you have any difficulties with scheduling. Stay warm!

Thank you,
Amanda
carrie.dib
New Poster

Thank you, Amanda!  
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Snowbelt here, too.  Lake effect snow is a lovely thing.  LOL. 

28" since Wednesday night. 

carrie.dib
New Poster

Hi Amanda, 

Wanted to let you know we had a tech out on Friday.  He did realign the dish (although, he wasn't too concerned about the alignment-- but we are now seeing signal strengths in the 115's).   He also replaced our modem, which looks like it may have been the issue.   Everything is up and running now with no issues.   Thank you!
Carrie
Amanda

Hello Carrie,
That is great news! So glad we could get you back up and running. I've placed a 2 week credit on your account for the inconvenience. 

Have a good one

Amanda 

I am experiencing the same problem. The same five codes. On the phone all day with tech support and still no escalation. Very disgruntled customer at this moment.