Internet Constantly Cutting Out

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jebarnette
Sophomore

Internet Constantly Cutting Out

As of recently the internet has been completely cutting out. No storms, nothing wrong with signal strenght nor anything else I've dealt with. For two years it's operated very well and now suddenly it keeps cutting in and out. At first i thought it was FAP mode causing problems but that's not the case, because even during the bonus period the internet is spotty and constantly cutting out. I've always used the data up and still been able to operate and at least do basic browsing on FAP mode - so some help would be appricated. 

20 REPLIES 20
chrisdeitz
New Poster

Me too. Internet connection drops as soon as I connect it. HughesNet is unusable. If they can't provide the service, they shouldn't sell the service.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Jebarnette.,

When you say recently, how recently do you mean?  The reason I ask is that inclement weather at your gateway can cause the same types of problem as inclement weather at your own location.  If it's only been happening for a few hours it could be this, but if it's been happening for longer than that it's doubtful that it's weather related.  

A rep will probably want to run some remote diagnostics on your equipment to figure out what's going.  

Recently as in the last week nearly. Going up on 5 days now. Even while i was trying to reply to your comment the internet had cut out again and i had to wait another hour. 

@Liz

@Amanda

Good morning Jebarnette,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Is there anything you can see that could be obstructing the dish?

After running diagnostics I see you have a Netgear router on your network. For testing purposes, can you please bypass the router and connect your computer directly to the HughesNet modem? Let me know if the intermittent connectivity persists while directly connected to the modem.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I cannot do that, sorry. The distance is too far between my main PC and the hughesnet modem. So i use the router as a extender to some degree. Also even if that fixed it, i cannot opperate at home without the router because of numerous people using the internet from extended distances. 

Also to clarify im nearly 100% positive its a modem problem because i've checked numerous times with the router and it's simply receiving no signal from the modem during these times of no internet. 

I'm aware of that. But would you like me to be able to reply at all? I cannot and won't physically move my giant setup 15 feet to test this, when i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's not a router problem. The reason that this is a "New Member" account is simply because I've fixed everything that's gone wrong from here and haven't had the need to ask for help until now. Not that I feel the need to boast or prove myself, but I know what im talking about...i do have a Computer Engineering degree. 

I have a Electrical Engineering degree and have been involved with computers, networking, software and radio enginering since the 80's.

I once thought my router was correctly configured and was real adamant about it... turns out I was wrong and the router firmware had a problem with 803.11g on wifi.

I also once thought there was a problem with the satellite/gateway and was real adamant about it... turns out the problem was a bunch of tree branches that were too close to the dish but didn't appear so to the naked eye.

The point being, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm sure you as a fellow engineer know that unless you can eliminate every possibility objectively, not everything is necessarily as it seems. I also don't mean to presumptive, but surely there must be other ways to test without the router in place that don't require moving a giant setup.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Connected my laptop directly to the modem and encountered the same problems. 

I understand the FAP. But the uplink and RTT i don't.I understand the FAP. But the uplink and RTT i don't.

@Liz

@Amanda

Good morning Jebarnette,

Thank you for this additional info. It would be better to troubleshoot when not subject to the Fair Access Policy. I've sent you some free tokens. Can you please use a token and let me know if the intermittent connectivity persists while directly connected to the modem and while not under the Fair Access Policy?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning to you as well.

Under my token menu is it the bottom one "Pre-paid"

Screenshot_4.png

Thanks, was just making sure. 

Screenshot_6.png

Still getting the uplink errors, which i assume are the primary reason that the services are cutting out. 

Screenshot_1.png

Uplink problems still occuring. 

Hi Jebarnette,

Thanks for checking. I've sent you a new complimentary HT2000w modem to swap with your current modem; it should arrive within 5 business days. Once you receive the modem, connect and power it on up to an hour so it will be activated automatically. Just in case something happens, I'd suggest activating it during business hours so that you can reach out to the community if you need help. 

You do not need to return the old modem. Please dispose the old modem properly according to your local waste management guidelines.

To check the status of your modem shipment, go to rmastatus.hughesnet.com, you can use your SAN and zip code to check.

Please let me know if you're still experiencing intermittent connectivity with this new modem.

Thank you again Liz for the help. 

For whatever reason if this doesn't fix the issue, i'll be sure to let you know. 

Thanks again. 

My gen 5 is slow & cuts out all the time . Right now my download speed is 1.2 .comming from dallas & 1.3 comming from chi.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@CHEVYSC11

Please create a new topic to receive help with your individual issue.  You can do so by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in the Tech Support section.  Make sure to choose a Label while creating the topic, which you can find to the right of the message body.  The topic won't post without a Label.   

wahunt

I had problems of slow and unreliable service and talked to Tech Support several times without resolution. I discovered a review of HughesNet, and it indicated that you can't use a virtual personal network such as I routinely used. When I turned my VPN off, my service dramatically improved. Give it a try if you have one. I'll see if my service continues at the fast speeds i have now.