cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Data Usage Calculator (AKA: Stupid JavaScript Tricks)

Advanced Tutor

Internet Data Usage Calculator (AKA: Stupid JavaScript Tricks)

If you have ever wondered how much data different Internet activities use, I've posted a handy Internet Data Usage Calculator on my web site. You can move the sliders around and the Calculator will estimate your expected Internet data usage per month. May not be perfect but better than nothing.

Work in Progress - I'm still tinkering with the GUI, and running into a display issue with some versions of Google Chronie. Seems to work OK with Internet Exploder and FoxFryer. You'll need JavaScript enabled. Try it and see what you think:
ElDoradoSatellite.com/plancalculator
Comments and suggestions welcome...
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Internet Data Usage Calculator (AKA: Stupid JavaScript Tricks)

Good morning Alan!

Thanks for sharing this tool, this is a nice start! Are there supposed to be more slider options other than the 4 that's displayed?:

This is in Chrome. I'll try later on our test PC to see how it looks in other browsers. Might want to also add an option to distinguish between HD and SD video.

Thanks,
LIz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Honorary Alumnus

Alan,

It came pretty close for me.

How about a "Number of Computers in Household" ?

Liz, I get 10 sliders in firefox.... Alan although I like your tool it seams a bit inaccurate at least for me.. i guess it really on depends on the enhancements made to browsers such as adblock an what services your using for these activities, but for me its WAY over what is generally used. For instance first slider Browsing the web... Generally in my household there are two of us just Browsing for a max of 3hrs a piece a day. NEVER have we used more than 400Mb a day for this, however your slider suggests just 2hrs as .6Gb= 600Mb.   The websites we visit on these general browsing days also include facebook and ebay... Facebook in itself for over an hr a day off an on. your slider for socialmedia indacates social media an hr a week is equal to .257Gb= 257Mb ( Which might be accurate had ads not been blocked as well as videos set not to autoplay).    Same goes for streaming services video as well as music, It MAJORLY depends on where you choose to stream.   I could go on comparing your tool to our usage habits but I think you get the hint he he..

Of course I am a seasoned hughes maybe we need someone whos machines not so fine tuned for a limited data plan to test an see the accuracy Smiley Happy
Advanced Tutor

That's the problem I mentioned with Chrome. There must be some piece of bad code causing the display to terminate after the first four sliders.
Advanced Tutor

Thought about that but didn't know how I would adjust for different usage on different machines. Another tricky thing is to account for average computer/smart phone/tablet updates per month. 
Advanced Tutor

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm assuming "worst case." Makes it not much of a marketing tool Smiley Happy
Honorary Alumnus

Really hard to peg those.

Just did a long delayed update to wife's iPad, nearly 1.1GB. Then I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 ... that needed updates too ... The major OS updates you can "control" pretty well but there is a vast array of "Apps" that manage to sneak in.

I'm on the Ultra plan so it wasn't an issue but if someone hat one of the 5GB or 10GB per month plans they would be wiped out.

Work for me within 200mb of my average as long as the cats don’t watch movies all night long.

This is interesting but I do not listen to streaming music or watch streaming video. My main usage is used for downloading books mainly audio books. I hope some new user or potential customer finds this tool very helpful. 

One question I do have does different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE, etc) use a different amount of bandwidth? I am a dedicated Firefox fan. I hate IE and for some strange reason Chrome seems to use a large amount of bandwidth without any plugin's. 

Now for a question not related to the OP's post. I have seen some one post about an ultra plan. I am in the mid-south is it possible for me to get that plan?  Or is that a business plan? Sorry but I am asking Alan since it seems like he is a professional HughesNet installer.