Internet access keeps dropping out

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JFiz
Freshman

Internet access keeps dropping out

Been having issues for off and on for a couple weeks. It's been really bad the last couple days. I have to reboot the modem to get internet access back sometimes. Hourly history and current hour histoory has a red X on every hour or 5 minutes in uplink area. Signal strength has been 125-128 everytime I have checked. Last error code I beleive was 24.1.4. I had to reboot the router so the error cleared... Sometimes the service light is out on the modem. 

John

19 REPLIES 19
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

John, 

The following are a few things to try and/or make sure of....

If you have the modem plugged into a power strip or surge protector, please try plugging it directly in to an outlet to see if it makes any difference.  Also, please make sure that the power plug going into the back of the modem is not loose.  Please be careful with this plug, as it is delicate.  In addition, please make sure that the coax connector at the back of the modem is finger tight.  It doesn't need to be any tighter than this, but it shouldn't be loose.  

With this said, the reps will be the one to help you with this issue.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though it may take them a day or two to reply. 

Lastly, if you don't already, please be sure to leave your modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary. 

@Liz

@Amanda 

hneterrors.png

Here it is this morning....

20180205morn.png20180205hour.png

lost internet 4 times trying to edit this....

Oh,

I checked connections and plugged the modem into my battery backup last night. NO way is there a power issue now.

John

Actually, depending upon the voltage level your backup provides, it very well could be a problem. The modem and the dish transceiver (which is provided power by the modem) are very sensitive to voltage and power levels even if an inverter is involved.

As an aside, please also edit your images to remove the SAN/Acct# to avoid possible identity theft.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

We need to move beyond that my outlets are the problem....

Not saying they are/aren't. Just saying changing to a battery backup just complicates solving the problem by adding a new variable.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hi JFiz,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I've pulled up your account to run diagnostics and I'd like to see if a modem swap will help in this case. Please expect it to arrive in the next couple of days or so. Please let me know how the new modem works out for you.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank You Liz!

I will report back after the modem arrives and is tested.

John

In my first reply above, what I meant to say was that "5 minutes later after my first call with a Hughesnet representative ended and I got back online, it happened again with the "system" light on my moden going out again."

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Daniel Lee Ball

I recommend starting a new topic concerning the issue you're experiencing.  Though it may seem, or even may be, identical, your issue should be kept separate from the OP's.  You can start a new topic here... https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport 

Well I was quite optimistic at first. This is the new modem, power supply/cord and eithernet cable supplied. 

Here are the latested.

@Liz

newhourly.pngnewcurrenthour.pngnewdiag.pngIt appears that something else is amiss.

Thanks,

John

I just got a 000-4000-0400-0043 if that helps.

John

Good morning John,

Thank you for the update. Are you saying that you're disconnecting from the internet while browsing? How often does it happen? Does it happen all the time, regardless of time of day? Or does it tend to happen around a certain time? 

If it happens again, please check what the state code is by clicking on the system light in the System Control Center. The normal status code is 0.0.0, otherwise you'll see other numbers there and a status message.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz

Yes. While browsing I will get page not available. If I try a different page it says the same thing. It corrects itself after 20-30 sec usually.

It's doesn't seem to matter the time of day. I haven't noticed a pattern.

I will check status next time I notice.

Thank You

tommychase
Freshman

We are having the same problem for the last 4-5 days. Just spent 30 minutes on phone for help only to be told it was because of snow in Montana. When i asked about getting someone to come out to look at the problem, i was told it would do no good because everything was working perfectly and the weather was causing the problem. Funny to me that it snows all the time in Montana and we are just now having this problem after being hooked up for one and a half years. 

diag.pngdown.png

@JFiz

A 21.1.4 code is a lot different than the 12.7.1 you had been showing.

@tommychase

It's not been snowing enough in Montana to cause a problem. Whoever keeps using that excuse at tech support needs to stop doing that. That said, unless your gateway is also 'BILxx' then it may not even be relevant as your gateway would be somewhere else.

I was told that a couple of hours ago as well.  All weekend, the lights for the "system" and "transmit" lights on my modem kept on going out and happened again this morning.  I spoke to one representative whom said he did some corrections and that it should not happen again.  Then, about 5 minutes later, after that call ended and I got back online, the 2nd representative I talked to today told me the same thing--the weather in Billings, Montana where he says that my connection goes through that server station there.  He said the weather had been causing bad gateway access errors there.  I had been getting these bad gateway errors off and on over the last month, but not enough for the transmit and system lights on my modem to go out until this past weekend, which happened frequently this past weekend and continued this morning and early this afternoon.  This may be the cause for my connection problems here, but part of me has a hard time believing this due to having an account with them for over 11 years now and not ever remembering something like this occurring before.