Hughesnet Community

Internet being used while being unplugged

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amara6993

Internet being used while being unplugged

I went to college writing code programming developing. You don’t need college to know you don’t have internet through tv and it’s been unplugged for days. I will go back to dish. I only used at most 4 gb a month doing the same thing I do now but in the three months with HughesNet I have warnings I am running out of data. I’ve unplugged it many of times days in a row and when I check usage I compare it to what I had right before unplugging. My spouse is a police officer but this is criminal. The only going back to dish and contacting the proper authorities
4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

If there's no power, there's no usage.  It is likely you are seeing the image of the usage before you unplugged it. 

The "authorities" will ask for evidence of your claims -- and evidence will also be needed here to prove them.  Take pictures and screenshots, with clocks visible.  

Without evidence, you won't get much assistance. 

I too was a programmer/integrater, since retired for 16 years.  If by "unplugged" you mean from the power,  I agree with maratsade that there is no way it can be using data,  If just the LAN cable is unplugged you'll have to disable the WIFI also.  There's all kind of devices that will connect to your WIFI and gobble up your data.

My very first post here was about how I was convinced Hughes was cheating on data usage.  After almost a year of tests, the details of which I won't bore you with,  I came to the conclusion that if they were cheating it was only about .5 gig a month.  

BTW there's a couple of posts pinned to the top here on data usage.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Amara6993 

Though it's a bit difficult to tell from your opening statement, are you saying that you use HughesNet for streaming content to your TV?  If so, please keep in mind that streaming can use anywhere from 300MB to 3GB or more per hour, depending on the definition of the stream and the streaming service being used.  

"I only used at most 4 gb a month doing the same thing I do now but in the three months with HughesNet I have warnings I am running out of data." - Is the "same thing" the streaming mentioned above, or something else?

Liz

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!