Internet down Gen 5 beam 55 Norcal

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA_87
Sophomore

Internet down Gen 5 beam 55 Norcal

I saw the notice that there is a service interruption, but I would like an ETA as to when the internet will be restored. Tried calling the 800 number several times but couldnt get through, I assume the techs are overwhelmed with calls.
22 REPLIES 22
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There is no current ETA, it could come up any second, or be later on tonight.  Outages that affect the entire system (one of the satellites as a whole) are problematic, not typical, and difficult to fix.  Hence the reason there is no ETA in the announcement.

Yes they are typical

Im in Alabama and mine is down YET AGAIN

I have been down more than up over the past few months, I call and they say Im under contract yet they dont fufill they end of the contract

I connected another provider so I have internet

I agree, this is typical ever since the Gen 5 upgrade. When they tell you they are "working on fixing the problem", its just an excuse so they can stall and take more time, meanwhile we are all still paying for a service that barely works, and in this case, doesnt work at all. Very poor customer service.

Satellite internet is a more COMPLEX system.  Fixing problems and issues will sometimes take time.  

Esp with this current outage. Which is with the satellite  (22,000 miles in space).  It’s not like they can send a technician out to fix it.   Fixes must be done remotely from earth!   

Tis true - the sattelite is far away and when it was built, after many other birds were put in the sky, they had the time and experience to get it right. This problem, especially with Beam 55 in my area of Norcal, has been going on since the 1st week of September 2017.  Plenty of time to make adjustments and get it right if they had built the technology correctly.

But then - my understanding is Gen 5 (concept?) is fairly new and I just have to assume (a big one) that HN marketing just did not understand the public's pent up desire for accessing the internet with speeds faster than the old Wild Blue days and give the engineers the marching orders to build for the customer needs. My belief is the problems we are having are due to over-subscription of a company offering that was not engineered to the needs of the customers.  (off of soap box). 

Since the Jan 1-2 (2018) outage was "fixed", in the early morning of Jan 2nd I was able to play my online-game for 3 hours uninterupted the first time in 4 months - loved it.  Now, late evening on Jan 2nd, slow speeds are back again with sub megabit test results.  Darn, I had such hope in May 2017 that I had found a provider that would keep its marketing promises - darn again - I just might have to put up a tall pole on my property to get point-to-point broadband service.  

@bugstomper wrote:

But then - my understanding is Gen 5 (concept?) is fairly new and I just have to assume (a big one) that HN marketing just did not understand the public's pent up desire for accessing the internet with speeds faster than the old Wild Blue days and give the engineers the marching orders to build for the customer needs. My belief is the problems we are having are due to over-subscription of a company offering that was not engineered to the needs of the customers.  (off of soap box). 

I beleive you are correct as that is what I was told by a rep from HN.

Hibb312

And very disappointed and I will be looking into another us and it provider one who will be reachable within a six hour window Especially on the number they claim is a 24 hour a day seven days a week customer support tech-support number

Hughesnet just annouced service should be restored in a few hours!

Agreed. Done with Hughes Net after this. Terrible service and customer support.

That may be true, the system is complex and it takes time to fix, but in the meantime, why isnt Hughesnet doing more for their customers?? It seems the only way to stay informed or troubleshoot is to come here, as the phone tech support is worthless, and if you email they never reply back. And of course the only thing we get is " we are working on it".

Hughesnet have been experts at giving customers the "mushroom treatment"....feeding us crap and leaving us in the dark
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You have to realize this outage is with the entire satellite. That’s a lot of people out, which I’m pretty sure a lot are trying to call the number to report, find out what’s going on, or for a fix.  So it will be hard to get through. 

With that said, they know there’s an outage engineers are working on getting it resolved. No need to call, the phone reps can not do anything.

TYGRHobbes
Junior

Funny thing is my internet is running better than ever now. I wonder if the techs fubared up the satellite by installing the fix for beam 55, heh that would be ironic.

Nevermind, people are getting back on, things are back to being slow as molasses Smiley Sad

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

About 20 minutes ago I had some internet service. The last service was about 7-8 hours ago and even at that - the response time was less than 1 mbps either up or down.  Then a few minutes later no service again for a few minutes, and now working again, at least on the community.  I do have an open ticket that I put in last Saturday and the representative I talked to Monday evening (after an hour wait) suggested it will take 3 days to have a technician assigned to my ticket 108502319.  

Ok, so after the outage, the speeds are horrible around the clock now. Less than 2Mbps from midnight to 6am, less than 200Kbps during prime time, and early afternoon 500Kbps. What the heck!? At least in the wee hours of the night I had the pleasure of high speeds, not anymore! This is getting to the point of ridiculousness. It's supposed to get better not worse.

Service is again very terrible!  Tests continue to result in speeds less than 1MBPS.   After logging in I typically perform at least 3 tests so the techs can take a look. 

A week ago the problems I have been having were escalated using ticket #108502319 and a few days later was told (I called again) a tech would be assigned by Thursday of this week (1/4/18).  However haven't received a call yet or a message.  Does anyone know if callbacks from a tech use a caller ID of "Toll Free Call"?  I rarely answer these calls as they are mostly spam, but did have one yesterday and today, but no message was left so have no idea what company called. 

@jezra wrote:
There is sadly nothing the technician can do for you. The beam is oversold and HughesNet is still signing up new customers on the beam.

Which they should be sued for.

That's fraud pure and simple.

Wayne

Not sure if the satellite is at full capacity as it's really new but I've heard both sides of the story. I don't know what to believe now. All I know is that there is a serious problem. Running at Kbps is just unacceptable and quite ridiculous even for satellite internet.