cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet for a day

Highlighted
Freshman

Internet for a day

Hello i just had internet installed yesterday as i work from home and teach and it’s been quite slow and not at all what i thought i was paying for. Could someone help me understand-is this a regular HughesNet issue? Is something missing? Malfunction? It was installed by Dish. I called them and they apparently have no record of my account. Looking forward for replies, suggestions and thoughts.
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Junior

Re: Internet for a day

Seems to only be usable after 2 or 3:00am. If you have a try it to see if you like it period,Run befour that time runs out.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Roygeorge 

If you're having a speed issue, please run some speed tests using the protocol on this page, then post your testmy.net "My Results" page URL so that the test results can be viewed.  Please be sure to read the testing instructions thoroughly before running the tests to ensure that they're run in the manner instructed.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Freshman

The sucky part is it’s the only internet offered in my area and i work from home. It was a bundle with Dish.
Highlighted

@john12 wrote:

If you have a try it to see if you like it period,Run befour that time runs out.

HughesNet doesn't offer trial periods.  The 24 month commitment starts the moment the service goes live.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Junior

@Roygeorge wrote:
The sucky part is it’s the only internet offered in my area and i work from home. It was a bundle with Dish.

@Roygeorge the speed test instructions will help validate that there isn't some sort of problem with your configuration or eqiupment.  If the speed tests give good results, then the likely problem is congestion.  If you are able to provide some insight into the types of things you are doing on the internet, we may be able to give some advice that can make things a little better.

For instance, are you mostly browsing web pages?  You said you are working, are you on a VPN, using Zoom?  Are you streaming video (netflix, amazon prime, etc)?  

Highlighted
Freshman

I am a teacher so i am on zoom often
I have an Apple TV in the bedroom and fire tv in the living room.
I have 3 smart lights.
I have two computers
Alexa
Apple Watch
iPad
iPhone

I have subscriptions to all major subscription services and a few more. So i would like to have a service that fits my lifestyle which is what i was asked upon the start of the service. I had a speed test done today but stil on the 20g plan.
Highlighted

@Roygeorge 

Depending on your streaming habits, you may very well run out of your plan data very quickly.  Streaming uses upwards of 3GB of more per hour in HD, and upwards of 1GB per hour in SD, depending on the service. 

Though streaming can 'normally' be done with HughesNet, the service definitely isn't made for cord cutting, as there isn't enough high speed data available for that need, even with the largest plan.  And I say 'normally' because of the congestion the system is experiencing right now, which can cause a lot of buffering to happen, especially in the evenings.  The pandemic related increase in usage has caused the congestion to increase considerably since March.

The speed test results will definitely help to point to the cause of the problem. 

Highlighted
Junior

For zoom, try dialing in to the audio with a phone if you can.  That way you don't have to transmit that audio data over the internet.  I suspect you'll have to have video on or share your screen as a teacher, but the less you do of that the better.  Also, turn off HD in your zoom video settings.

As noted, streaming is very challenging right now because with so many working from home, there's a lot of congestion on the network.  Unlike terrestial providers that can add more servers, Hughes can only increase capacity by launching more sattelites, which is much more difficult and expensive. 

Since you got this bundled with Dish, I'm assuming you are at least getting some TV through Dish? That should be separate from your internet so using Dish for video shouldn't affect your internet.  I don't know if the Dish box is on your wifi/internet or not.  If it is, you may want change the config to keep it off your internet and use the Dish box for as much of your video needs as you can, instead of the Apple TV and Fire stick.

Highlighted
Spectator

The congestion is more of a HughesNet problem than it is a customer problem. We pay you for the service with the expectation that we will get what we are paying you for. It's not our problem HughesNet can't meet the demands. It's almost as if they should've built their system to be able to handle the amount of traffic that all those subscriptions are paying for. We shouldn't have to wait to watch HD movies because the bandwith is atrocious. We shouldn't have to mess with Video Saver programs. We shouldn't have to pay for a Voice plan. I should be able to use Ring without sounding like I'm on an analog cell phone going through a tunnel. We pay you every month for service and we expect the speeds you advertise and the data plans you advertise. If you're hardware can't support that, maybe you should invest in better hardware or better or more satellites.