Internet for a day

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roygeorge
Freshman

Internet for a day

Hello i just had internet installed yesterday as i work from home and teach and it’s been quite slow and not at all what i thought i was paying for. Could someone help me understand-is this a regular HughesNet issue? Is something missing? Malfunction? It was installed by Dish. I called them and they apparently have no record of my account. Looking forward for replies, suggestions and thoughts.
31 REPLIES 31
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Elaborate.

EDIT: Why do you think it's a copout?

Michael57 wrote:

copout 😄 

Think he's just messing with you.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Aye.  I'm assuming, the homework remark, which is otherwise likely the most cringeworthy reply possible, was also in jest.

I mean it's the internet, you can say the rudest thing ever, slap an emoji on it, and call it good.  😄 

maratsade

Nope, not in jest and I don't see it as cringeworthy.  People need to spend the time to do their own research; I'm not going to be their research assistant.  If you think this is a cringeworthy or rude response, I respect that as your opinion, even though I don't share it. 

Michael57 wrote:

Aye.  I'm assuming, the homework remark, which is otherwise likely the most cringeworthy reply possible, was also in jest.

GabeU

@focus93 

Your reply is blank.  

maratsade

Let me clarify my reply to you. 

You asked if I had data to back up my statement. I do. I researched for years to accumulate data. I think others who would like to verify the statement can do the same. The information is in here and out there, and they would benefit from doing the legwork and finding the information for themselves. 

Michael57 wrote:

That could be true, the announcement made about congestion and prioritization makes me doubt it, but it could be.  I suspect you have some actual data to back up that claim?

Here are three different ways to check on congestion:

1. Using the HT2000W System Control center

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/diagnostics/hourly-history

Use the above link, and notice the 'RTT' line.  That is the Round Trip Time over the satellite, and it will turn to X if 2 or 3 or more 5 minutes periods averaged to over 2000ms.  A red X here without anything else being bad is a really good sign you are seeing real congestion.  Here is a picture of the 5 minute detail version:

detail.png

If you have Red X's by Downlink/Uplink, this may indicate bad weather or a hardware problem -- check the State Code Monitor for details.

If you have Red X's by the 'Fair Access Policy', then buy two tokens and send a message on the Tech Support board in the morning.

2.  Become a guru of the ping utility

There are those that say they can suss out all kind of details by varying ping packet sizes etc.  Kind of like listening to a dwarf talk about strategies for slaying dragons.

3. Check the prices and plans available in the area

The higher the prices and the fewer the GB in the available plans, the more congested the beam.

Many people blame satellite beam congestion, but they really have nothing other than that they have slow speeds which can be caused by hardware problems or by the neighbors having too many WiFi routers and devices turned on in range.  The 2.4GHz WiFi range only supports *at most* three independent channels 1,6, and 11, and tends to be very crowded.  Having your channel overlap with your neighbor kills the performance, and to make matters worse, some folks believe that by plugging every WiFi router they ever owned into the wall is some how good.  Each device sending a signal also adds to the cacophony.

Think of truckers on the CB -- with only 3 channels.  Now imagine 10 truckers all wanting to sing at once....

Some folks mistake congestion on their WiFi channel with beam congestion.

For zoom, try dialing in to the audio with a phone if you can.  That way you don't have to transmit that audio data over the internet.  I suspect you'll have to have video on or share your screen as a teacher, but the less you do of that the better.  Also, turn off HD in your zoom video settings.

As noted, streaming is very challenging right now because with so many working from home, there's a lot of congestion on the network.  Unlike terrestial providers that can add more servers, Hughes can only increase capacity by launching more sattelites, which is much more difficult and expensive. 

Since you got this bundled with Dish, I'm assuming you are at least getting some TV through Dish? That should be separate from your internet so using Dish for video shouldn't affect your internet.  I don't know if the Dish box is on your wifi/internet or not.  If it is, you may want change the config to keep it off your internet and use the Dish box for as much of your video needs as you can, instead of the Apple TV and Fire stick.

GabeU

@john12 wrote:

If you have a try it to see if you like it period,Run befour that time runs out.

HughesNet doesn't offer trial periods.  The 24 month commitment starts the moment the service goes live.

GabeU

@Roygeorge 

If you're having a speed issue, please run some speed tests using the protocol on this page, then post your testmy.net "My Results" page URL so that the test results can be viewed.  Please be sure to read the testing instructions thoroughly before running the tests to ensure that they're run in the manner instructed.