Internet for a day

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roygeorge
Freshman

Internet for a day

Hello i just had internet installed yesterday as i work from home and teach and it’s been quite slow and not at all what i thought i was paying for. Could someone help me understand-is this a regular HughesNet issue? Is something missing? Malfunction? It was installed by Dish. I called them and they apparently have no record of my account. Looking forward for replies, suggestions and thoughts.
31 REPLIES 31
john12
Junior

Seems to only be usable after 2 or 3:00am. If you have a try it to see if you like it period,Run befour that time runs out.

The sucky part is it’s the only internet offered in my area and i work from home. It was a bundle with Dish.

@Roygeorge wrote:
The sucky part is it’s the only internet offered in my area and i work from home. It was a bundle with Dish.

@Roygeorge the speed test instructions will help validate that there isn't some sort of problem with your configuration or eqiupment.  If the speed tests give good results, then the likely problem is congestion.  If you are able to provide some insight into the types of things you are doing on the internet, we may be able to give some advice that can make things a little better.

For instance, are you mostly browsing web pages?  You said you are working, are you on a VPN, using Zoom?  Are you streaming video (netflix, amazon prime, etc)?  

I am a teacher so i am on zoom often
I have an Apple TV in the bedroom and fire tv in the living room.
I have 3 smart lights.
I have two computers
Alexa
Apple Watch
iPad
iPhone

I have subscriptions to all major subscription services and a few more. So i would like to have a service that fits my lifestyle which is what i was asked upon the start of the service. I had a speed test done today but stil on the 20g plan.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Roygeorge 

Depending on your streaming habits, you may very well run out of your plan data very quickly.  Streaming uses upwards of 3GB of more per hour in HD, and upwards of 1GB per hour in SD, depending on the service. 

Though streaming can 'normally' be done with HughesNet, the service definitely isn't made for cord cutting, as there isn't enough high speed data available for that need, even with the largest plan.  And I say 'normally' because of the congestion the system is experiencing right now, which can cause a lot of buffering to happen, especially in the evenings.  The pandemic related increase in usage has caused the congestion to increase considerably since March.

The speed test results will definitely help to point to the cause of the problem. 

The congestion is more of a HughesNet problem than it is a customer problem. We pay you for the service with the expectation that we will get what we are paying you for. It's not our problem HughesNet can't meet the demands. It's almost as if they should've built their system to be able to handle the amount of traffic that all those subscriptions are paying for. We shouldn't have to wait to watch HD movies because the bandwith is atrocious. We shouldn't have to mess with Video Saver programs. We shouldn't have to pay for a Voice plan. I should be able to use Ring without sounding like I'm on an analog cell phone going through a tunnel. We pay you every month for service and we expect the speeds you advertise and the data plans you advertise. If you're hardware can't support that, maybe you should invest in better hardware or better or more satellites.

I also want a dolphin that sings my name.

You're paying for a service that may or may not be suitable for a specific purpose, say streaming. That's not stopping anyone from loading down the system by trying, which in fact is what is happening.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Well, I'd say that satellite is suitable for streaming, certainly HughesNet says that it is not only suitable for streaming but it's sutable for HD streaming: https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions

I know that capacity planning is always a challenge and things definitely changed drastically in Feb/March.  I don't know what the bandwidth capacity is like system wide, but based on my experience, continuing to advertise 25mbps is in fact, dishonest, even if covered by disclaimers.  Of course, my experience may not be typical so take that with a grain of salt.

I'll admit those two video saver faqs are borderline. Especially where it says you can watch HD even though they'll limit it to 480p (which is technically SD).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

I'll admit those two video saver faqs are borderline. Especially where it says you can watch HD even though they'll limit it to 480p (which is technically SD).

Yeah, that's true. 

I guess that I just wonder at what point the current situation (assuming it is widespread) is the reality and the documentation reflects that.  

maratsade

It's not dishonest if a lot of customers get, in fact, 25Mbps or more.  And there is a disclaimer that people should read before subscribing. If they don't, it's on them. 

@maratsade wrote:

It's not dishonest if a lot of customers get, in fact, 25Mbps or more.  And there is a disclaimer that people should read before subscribing. If they don't, it's on them. 

Meh, disclaimers and honesty aren't all that related.  Certainly people should read and understand disclaimers, but that doesn't ethically absolve advertising something that isn't reasonably attainable. 

You are correct though, and I want to be clear, it's not dishonest if 25mbps is a reaonably attainable speed for most people.  I have no clue whether it is or not.  My experience could certainly be atypical. I can only go from my experience which is much slower than that (by a factor of 10 to 20 times slower), except for speed tests. 

maratsade

Disclaimers are a thing, and they are in every contract for services. Most people don't read them, though, and then they whine, which is a bit absurd.  

While the system can tolerate things like streaming, it's not cable, or DSL, or any terrestrial ISP, and using it like it were is what's causing all of these issues.  It's a limited system with limited capacity, that can tolerate certain behaviours as long as they are done in moderation, which is not something those who come here to whine are doing.  They seem to want to turn satellite internet into cable, demonstrating lack of knowledge about what satellite internet is, how it works, and its limitations.  

Used within its limitations, the system works as intended. 

maratsade

You know, this conversation should go to the General section -- maybe the mods could lock this thread and we could adjourn there? 

@maratsade wrote:

You know, this conversation should go to the General section -- maybe the mods could lock this thread and we could adjourn there? 

agreed, we are down a rabbit hole, no sense continuing it.

@maratsade wrote:

Used within its limitations, the system works as intended. 

But perhaps not as advertised, which is what causes the frustration. It is in fact advertised to be able to do those things, except for maybe online gaming, which I haven't seen anyone complain about.

maratsade

But it does work as advertised, except for a minority who are in congested beams.

@Michael57 wrote:

But perhaps not as advertised, which is what causes the frustration. It is in fact advertised to be able to do those things, except for maybe online gaming, which I haven't seen anyone complain about.

@maratsade wrote:

But it does work as advertised, except for a minority who are in congested beams.

That could be true, the announcement made about congestion and prioritization makes me doubt it, but it could be.  I suspect you have some actual data to back up that claim?

maratsade

I'm not going to do people's homework for them. 🙂

@Michael57 wrote:

I suspect you have some actual data to back up that claim?

copout 😄