cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spacefunk
Freshman

Internet goes down for hours and hours after modem loses power

Modem HT2000W

Internet will go down for around 12 hours any time the modem loses power.

This has happened the last few times the modem gets unplugged.

After plugging back it, opening up the admin panel at 192.168.x.x shows everything as it normally is.

Trying to access any site (or anything online) results in a timeout error, on every connected device, both wired and wifi.

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@spacefunk 

Strange.  A couple of questions...

Is the modem plugged into regular, landline power, or do you have your own off grid power?  Also, is it plugged into a power strip or surge protector, or is it plugged directly into an outlet?  

When it's working, does everything seem to be okay?  Do you notice any types of connection issues?

It's plugged into a pretty nice surge protector.

I have noticed sometimes the system status light will go colors other than green when the internet is up and working fine.

I'm not sure how to answer the question about the power. I am way out in the country so that probably answers the question.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

GabeU

@spacefunk 

It's possible that the surge protector is causing some type of power throughput issue.  It's not all that common, but it does happen.  I'm almost afraid to tell you to plug the modem directly into outlet out of fear that unplugging it from the surge protector may cause the issue to happen.  Still, it would probably be best to do so, but if you want to wait until you're normally no longer on the system for the evening you can do it then.  

With the power question, you'd know if you were off grid, as you would be creating your own power, like from solar or from a generator, or even drawing power from a bank of batteries that is charged by that solar or generator.  The reason for this question is that sometimes off grid power can be a little more unstable than power delivered to your home from a power company, depending on the setup and the equipment used.  

With regard to the lights on the front of the modem, that could indicate something wrong, as well.  Normally, the only color change that happens is with the power light, and that's when it goes red, indicating that the modem is overheating, though that shouldn't really happen under normal conditions.   

The HughesNet reps will most likely want to run remote diagnostics on their equipment.  I would, as stated above, plug the modem directly into a power outlet to bypass any issue that the surge protector could be causing.  I don't know that it is, but at least for the remote diagnostics it's best to have the modem directly plugged into an outlet.  And, again, you can wait until you'd normally no longer be on for the evening to unplug it from the surge protector and plug it directly into the outlet.  Because a rep will most likely not reply and run the remote diagnostics until tomorrow, it's okay to wait until later to do that.  

The HughesNet reps are normally on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though there is occasionally a rep on during the evening and on the weekends.  They'll be the ones to ultimately help with this, as they'll need to run the aforementioned remote diagnostics on the HughesNet equipment to see what, if anything, looks amiss.  You won't need to do anything for this, other than leaving the modem plugged into an outlet, as it has to be powered for them to be able to do so.

Lastly, you're very welcome for the quick reply.  I wish I could offer a definitive reason for the issue, but the HughesNet reps should be able to help get it straightened out.  🙂  

Edit:  Sorry, I forgot to add that one of the reps will reply to this thread to help you, and they will likely have already run the remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment by the time they do.  I wasn't very specific about that part.

I have seen this happen a couple of times.  I think it was when the power flickered, and another time when somebody unplugged then immediatly plugged it back in.

I check a site, and if I can't get to it, I go to:

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/summary

and press the 'Reboot' at the top of the page, that seemed to fix it.  It is like something did not start right.  If it was unplugged more than 30-60 seconds, then maybe it is something else?

@MrBuster wrote:

I have seen this happen a couple of times.  I think it was when the power flickered, and another time when somebody unplugged then immediatly plugged it back in.

I check a site, and if I can't get to it, I go to:

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/summary

and press the 'Reboot' at the top of the page, that seemed to fix it.  It is like something did not start right.  If it was unplugged more than 30-60 seconds, then maybe it is something else?

Yep I have tried the Reboot button, I have tried a full reset, I have tried a quick reset, I have tried changing DNS servers, I have tried everything I can think of, and nothing works until the internet decides to start working again around 12 hours later it stops working

GabeU

@spacefunk wrote:
Yep I have tried the Reboot button, I have tried a full reset, I have tried a quick reset, I have tried changing DNS servers, I have tried everything I can think of, and nothing works until the internet decides to start working again around 12 hours later it stops working

Please make sure not to press the reset button on the back of the modem without first being instructed to do so by a rep.  Doing so, especially if it's not done in the proper way, can cause more harm than good.  If you already have, though, it's unlikely that it did anything bad, as you're still able to get online (at least right now, anyway).

Good morning spacefunk, 

Thank you for providing this information, this helps. After running and reviewing your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Friday, Feb 22, 2019 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #118758078 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz wrote:

Good morning spacefunk, 

Thank you for providing this information, this helps. After running and reviewing your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Friday, Feb 22, 2019 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #118758078 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thank you Liz. That time will work for me just fine.

I actually had this issue again this morning. We had a power outage last night and it came back late this morning. Instead of 12 hours though this time it took about 90 minutes for the internet to start working again. I have tried plugging directly into the wall, and also noticed that the coax was a couple turns too loose, but fixing neither solved the issue

Good morning spacefunk,

I see the dispatch was completed as scheduled. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to reach out.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@GabeU wrote:

@spacefunk 

It's possible that the surge protector is causing some type of power throughput issue.  It's not all that common, but it does happen.  I'm almost afraid to tell you to plug the modem directly into outlet out of fear that unplugging it from the surge protector may cause the issue to happen.  Still, it would probably be best to do so, but if you want to wait until you're normally no longer on the system for the evening you can do it then.  I'll try that at some point, thanks

I'll try that at some point, not sure when it will be convenient though.

I should note that I did not have this problem for the first 9 months 

@GabeU wrote:

@spacefunk 

With regard to the lights on the front of the modem, that could indicate something wrong, as well.  Normally, the only color change that happens is with the power light, and that's when it goes red, indicating that the modem is overheating, though that shouldn't really happen under normal conditions.   

Sorry I wasn't clear about this. I haven't seen any different types of lights on the front of the modem. I meant the system status light in the admin control panel at 192.168.x.x

GabeU

@spacefunk wrote: 

Sorry I wasn't clear about this. I haven't seen any different types of lights on the front of the modem. I meant the system status light in the admin control panel at 192.168.x.x

Ah, I see what you mean.  Depending on what's seen, it can indicate a connection loss, or some type of degraded state.  I believe the three colors are green, which indicates everything is in working order, and yellow, which indicates some type of degradation, and red, which indicates a serious issue, like a total loss of connection, or at least enough of a loss that it makes the system completely unusable.  

When they run the remote diagnostics they'll also be able to tell how strong the signal is to your dish, as well as any connection issues between the modem and the dish, so if those things are causing any of the color changes you may be seeing, they'll be able to tell.    

One thing I should mention:  It would be a good idea to reach around behind the modem and make sure that the coax cable connector is finger tight to the back of the modem.  It doesn't need to be tighter than this, but it shouldn't be loose.  As well, you should check to make sure that the power cable is pushed all the way into the connection at the back of the modem.  Be careful, as this plug is delicate, but just give it a little push against the modem to make sure it's all the way it.  Because of the way the plug appears it can look like it's not pushed all the way in, but if you push a little and it doesn't go in any further, it is.  These two things can sometimes work their way loose, especially if the modem is moved around a lot, so it's a good idea to check them, as they can be a cause of some of the things you're seeing. 

As for unplugging the modem from the surge protector and plugging it into an outlet, when you can is okay, but it would be best to do it before around 8:00AM or so tomorrow, which is when the reps start doing their thing.  They may not get to your post first thing, but they'll get to it.