Internet is slower than usual

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Plb70003
Freshman

Internet is slower than usual

I've been with Hughes net for over 5 years now and since last week my internet has been slow. (under 500 kbs) I called and they want me to see if it works when they send me a data token (which of course it will work if they send me a data token) even if I've used all my data for the month I should still get over 1 mbs during the bonus period.

7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Plb70003 wrote:

even if I've used all my data for the month I should still get over 1 mbs during the bonus period.

Not necessarily, unless you have Bonus Zone data left.  If not, and you're also out of your plan data, it will be throttled during the Bonus Zone period as well, and if the system is heavily loaded it could be under 1Mbps even that late.  

As time goes on more and more people are scheduling larger downloads to occur later at night, possibly stressing the system even at that late time.

I'm not saying its not possible, I'm saying it has never been this slow in over 5 years. I usually get over 1mbs during the bonus time period, so some time last week it changed drastically. 

My son tried to call and they said everything was working fine on their end, and gave a free token to see if things would pick up.(It did not) If the problem doesn't sort itself out within the next couple of days I will have to to call and get a technician to come and replace the indoor and outdoor unit. I had a problem years back where the internet wasn't working at all during the afternoon hours, but the modem was on and seemed fine. I called for a technician to come out, said everything was working fine, but he couldn't send his report in to HQ and was wondering why. Luckily, my son was here during this time because I had fallen and hit my head. My son told him that he couldn't send his report in because the internet is not working, the guy quickly realized my son isn't budging and replaced the modem. No issues after that for years, little hiccups here and there but understandable due to satellite internet being terrible and inconsistent. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I'd say wait until the reps (@Liz , @Remy , @Damian )come back this week and see what they have to say.  

Plb70003,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community! I was able to find your account through your Community profile, and found that your speeds are quite slow without data as you stated previously. You said that a token being added didn't help the issue, so do the speed issues seem to occur even when your data refreshes for the month?

Thanks,

Remy

@maratsade Ah I didn't know they were away. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. @Remy No it hasn't been long enough for the data to reset, this has happened before, but in most cases things usually go back to normal within a few hours or the next day. Its been 2 weeks now and nothings changed

Plb70003,

First let's see if a modem swap will do the job. Please expect the replacement soon; you can use its box to return the old modem. For your convenience, the return label is included in the outer pouch. 

Thanks,

Remy