Internet is slower then a snail in molasses

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skylar
New Poster

Internet is slower then a snail in molasses

We have had Hughes net for over a month now and every since we have had them we have been vary disappointed, when we set them up they first said we would have 50gb of data a month, and 25mbps. After loging into our account we see we only have 10gb a month, which we fell cheated about for false advertising. We called them and after getting hung up on 2 times we called back again and a lady explained that we have 10gb of data a month but here's the catch they give you "Bonus" data which is 50gb between the hours of 2a.m and 8p.m. me and my fiancé have to work normal jobs so using that data isn't realistic when she has to be at work at 5:30a.m and I have to be at work at 8a.m so staying up all night just to do things we like, like stream videos or surf the web isn't realistic. Then we called yesterday to ask why our internet has been so slow every since they installed there equipment and I talked to a lady for 45 min, she had me do about 4 speed test and every time the download speed was from .31 Mbps to .43 Mbps and the upload speed was 1.13 Mbps to 2.07 Mbps which is far from 25mbps, after she heard how slow the internet was she told me that she would have to have someone call me to see what they could do but so far no call. I dont understand why I'm paying for a service that hughesnet can't provide me, but when I asked about canceling they said it would be $400. which when you just moved across the country you dont have money for unnecessary expenses. we have used 3% of our 20gb data that they gave us for all of our troubles so far, which in 3 months our data drops back to 10gb. so there should not be ANY slow downs for speed since we have only used 3% so far. Is there anyone at Hughes net that cares about the small blue collar people rather then themselves and how many plans they sell?
11 REPLIES 11
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.  The Hughesnet Community highly prefers testmy.net results as they can easily be shared.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

tm125
Freshman

More like tar, When I first installed the service I was more than impresssed . The unit kicked  . Sorry to say after two months of service, speeds are way down.  There must be some problem there not talking about.  I think the planet is shifting and throwwing the dish off . why else would everyone have the same problem. Maybe a report to higher level of commincations will clear this up.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You are reporting "to a higher level of communications," as the team here is directly from corporate HQ.  Or do you mean higher, like the NSA? 

If you'd like to troubleshoot your setup/network, post a new topic under Tech Support.  You will need to log speed tests on Testmy.net as well, to get the process started on t his site.  See C0RROSIVE's instructions. 

By some act of God the speeds are back to normal ,  for now .  25-37

just tested  again 37 Mbps  Kicking  That's why I left verzion . Updated most software updates and ran and checked for malware  there was none.

maratsade

How are the speeds in the evening? 

Speed is great these days , I'm haveing trouble with nexflex any special settings I should use? keeps rebuffering

GabeU

@tm125

It's normally recommended that you set Netflix either to Standard or Low definition while streaming to save data.

How can I control how much data Netflix uses?  

If you are deliberately trying to stream in HD, Hughesnet's Video Data Saver may cause buffering issues, and turning it off may solve this. 

What Is The Video Data Saver?  

Question , does my PC need to be on when watching netflex on a TV , not on line just turned on, not thats it's a big deal to turn on .

I'm really pleased with the service . I never had it so good.

GabeU

@tm125 wrote:

Question , does my PC need to be on when watching netflex on a TV , not on line just turned on, not thats it's a big deal to turn on .

I'm really pleased with the service . I never had it so good.

If your TV is a Smart TV with its own Netflix app and is connected to the Hughesnet modem through WiFi or LAN cable, then no, your computer doen't need to be on to watch Netflix on your TV.  It would only need to be on if you were using your computer for the Netflix and the TV as a monitor (like if you had an HDMI cable running from your computer to your TV and you were just using it as a big monitor).  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@tm125

Provided your computer isn't what's playing the Netflix content, and it's your TV or another device, then your computer doesn't need to be on for Netflix to operate.