Hughesnet Community

Internet is very slow

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rianro35

Internet is very slow

Internet is very slow. I cant stream netflix and I tried downloading a 2mb app on my phone and it took 12 minutes. When I check the speed on test my net it says 20 mb. That cant be right.
11 REPLIES 11
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

rianro35 wrote:
Internet is very slow. I cant stream netflix and I tried downloading a 2mb app on my phone and it took 12 minutes. When I check the speed on test my net it says 20 mb. That cant be right.

How much time is left on my contract

GabeU

@02Bonebad13 wrote:

How much time is left on my contract

Please start a new topic in the "myAccount and Billing" section for your question, which you can do here.

mine sucks too

857 mbs download

1.37 kbs upload

what kinda **bleep** is that--for $80 a month--not acceptable

maratsade

There's no need to be crass to your fellow subscribers. We haven't done anything to you. 

This is a tech support site, not a customer complaints site or a social media site. 

You also have the option to cancel the service. If you're still under contract, fines will apply. 

gw86054 wrote:

mine sucks too

857 mbs download

1.37 kbs upload

i wasnt being crass--i was concurring with gabu

i just want to get what i paid for, was advertised, etc.--it says 25 mbps--that is on hughes website--every plan, every day

HughesNet® Gen5 is faster than ever with 25 Mbps** on every plan. Do all the things you want online- even faster! Give your kids an edge with super-fast connection that lets them learn online. Enjoy more video, music, and sharing photos. Download, surf, and email with the quickest speeds ever offered by America's #1 choice for satellite Internet.

just look at the message boards--customers are frustrated with low speeds.  correct?  

this is what is advertised

maratsade

Your choice of words came across as crass (EDIT: no accusation intended; it's just how your post came across), and there's no need for that, really.  We get you're frustrated, and we sympathise. We've all been there with one company or another. 

Yes, I do see the message boards, and the people who post are those who are unhappy. The happy people don't post, so the only conclusion I can come to is that some unhappy people are posting. They do have 1.5 million customers, after all, and their business is growing.   

The exact same type of comment appears on the message boards of Xfinity, a company that offers super fast internet with very high caps and very little latency (because they're a terrestrial ISP).  Bad comments are the norm on this type of forum because the people who post are the people who have issues. The people who don't have issue rarely if ever post. 

There are statements both on the subscriber agreement and on the website, saying speeds are not guaranteed.  

This is from the website (https://www.hughesnet.com/about/hughesnet-gen5😞

**The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal.

GabeU

@gw86054 wrote:

mine sucks too

857 mbs download

1.37 kbs upload

Those speeds don't make any sense.  Your stated download speed is nearly 35X advertised and more than 10X what the system is even capable of, and your stated upload speed is so low that everything you tried on the net, including a speed test, would time out due to never receiving enough of the request from your device in time to respond.  

If you'd like to receive help for your issue(s), please start a new topic in Tech Support, which you can do here.  

maratsade has already provided a link to the speed testing instructions in this reply.  After running some tests as instructed you can post the testmy.net "My Results" URL in your new topic so that your speed test results can be viewed.

GabeU

@rianro35 

It actually can be.  Different sites react in their own way to not only the high latency that is inherent to satellite internet, but also the congestion that can exist on the system, even if the overall speed is showing to be decent.  Items can be downloaded as expected from some sites, while others seem to crawl.  

Though my overall speeds are often decent, both Microsoft and Google Play seem to be the most problematic for me when it comes to download speed.

Remy

rianro35,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Remy

GabeU

@Remy 

I think you forgot to close it.  😛