Internet keeps dropping

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerhugh
Junior

Internet keeps dropping

Last winter Hughes net sent us a new modem.  They then sent a tech to realign the fish.  He checked my set up and said I had done it right.  The directions said to not hook up my router(a d link router).  I am having problems again with my wifi dropping the imternet again .  Also I seem to be using more data. And doing less .  Do I need to hook up my  router to get it to work better.   Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@farmerhugh 

I'm sure the reps will want to run remote diagnostics to check if anything's amiss.  

Regarding your the router, there's nothing wrong with using 3rd party routers. A lot of people do, and for a variety of reasons, including better/more control options or increased WiFi coverage, though that all depends on the router being used, of course. You'd just want to make sure to disable the WiFi in the HughesNet modem so that you don't have two WiFi sources interfering with each other. This post from a couple of years ago explains what you need to uncheck in order to turn off the WiFi in the HughesNet modem.

thanks Gabe.  ill continue to work on it,

I am still having trouble with the internet dropping.could one of the reps on here run some diagnostics to see if they can figure out anything.I appreciate any help you can give.   I have done all I know how to do (which isn’t a lot)any thing I can go please let me know.   Thanks

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Hopefully @Damian or another rep will reply soon and check to see what could still be causing the dropouts.

@farmerhugh,

Thank you for providing an update. I am sorry to hear that the service is still doing this for you. I am going to run deeper diagnostics to see if there is anything that was missed. In the meantime, do you notice any patterns to the dropouts like time of day or duration of the dropouts? 

-Damian 

• I have not noticed any patterns nor if it is any particular time of day. Page just stops moving then I hit page refresh and it refreshes and I can continue on til it stops again. And repeat.  It’s really been wierd.  Hope you can pin it down. Thsnks.

@farmerhugh,

Thank you for your patience while I have been working on this. I was unbale to find any issues with the equipment or network remotely. The next step would be having the case escalated to our advance technical team. You would do this by calling our support line and running through standard troubleshooting steps. While they may seem redundant, its important so that the notes provided to our advanced technical support team are thorough. I am confident they will be able to provide a solution, fix or information as to what is happening that we just can't see. Please update me here on how that goes. If you need any information on the escalated case, I will do my best to relay whatever is provided.  -Damian  

Thanks Damian for your help,  This morning i received several messages that my systwm needs attention around 6 am,  and to call customer service.  Ihave a problem hearing when I call customer service.  so I try not to use that avenue.  Thanks again.  Hopefully it will correct itself.

Damian

@farmerhugh,

Thank you for reaching out to us again. There does seem to be an issue with the system that should be able to be corrected remotely. Using another router wouldn't help this particular situation but could provide long term benefits like Gabe listed. It looks like there was a system update recently for the modem and sometimes things can get a bit wonky after. I sent some commands to the modem and cleared out a few things. You may have noticed that the system went down for a second. Once it is back up please power cycle the modem manually by unplugging it directly from the power strip or outlet for 30 seconds. Give it an hour or two after that and let us know if you have noticed an improvement. 

It is still dropping off.  Would you or someone else be able to check things out from your end again.  I'm totally lost and  your help is appreciated.  Thanks

farmerhugh
Junior

Thanks Damien  i will check it as soon as my data reloads,  il llet you know if there are any other problems,