Hughesnet Community

Irritating internet speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter Newman

Irritating internet speeds

I am here concerning my parents internet service. While i have been home on Spring vacation i have gathered they have enrolled into a contract with Hughes Net and that they are paying for the 10 Mbps download package. I have been testing the speeds to see if it is truly what Hughes Net advertises. From my tests i have had ping between 660s to the 700s depending on the best server i can ping off of. I have had download speeds ranging from 1.54 to 8.26 Mbps i have tested these with both a wireless, mobile and Ethernet connection. I knew that satellite internet was bad, but compared to what they should be getting this is unacceptable. I cannot believe that a service such as this is so unreliable and all over the board. yes i know that in order to get the speeds shown you must have perfect conditions, but 2 Mbps is unacceptable for a internet connection. My parents are on the older side when it comes to age and they are not very technically knowledgeable, but i can not believe Hughes Net is selling a service that they can not fully deliver on
12 REPLIES 12
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Is the computer connected directly to the modem via a LAN cable? That is the first place to start with speed issues.

The 660-700 ms ping (latency) is normal for satellite internet and actually on the lowest side possible.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Speeds are advertised as up to, and are not guaranteed.

Please log into your Hughesnet account at http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com and perform a series of speed tests there as well as web-response tests multiple times a day, for a few days to help troubleshoot speed concerns.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Like most ISPs, HughesNet's advertised speeds are their "Up To" maximum burst speeds. They aren't advertised or guaranteed to be any minimum fixed amount, and will vary from moment to moment - mainly due to the number of other concurrent users both inside and outside your residence. It's a dynamic system.

The only way to get a guaranteed fixed Internet speed over satellite is to pay for a dedicated, commercial satellite channel where you are the only user. These cost several thousand dollars per month.

As BirdDog wrote, 660 to 700 ms ping is pretty good for satellite. They're 22,300 miles out in space. A complete circuit from your house out to the satellite, down to the network operations center, and then back up and down to your house is about a 90,000-mile round trip. 

Is there some application you're using that isn't working? That's a more relevant test of whether an Internet connection is adequate for your needs.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Beat me to it again 🙂

That's what I get for typing a windy answer.
Liz

Good morning Peter,

Thanks for posting, we'd like to help address your speed concerns. To get started, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/cant-use-the-hughesnet-speedtest-guide-for-testmy...

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

donsjgm
Junior

Dear Mr. Peter Newman,
     As a grandfather of 14 soon to be 15, the oldest having already dropped out of college, I laud your looking out for your parents. I too provide computer, smartphone and internet support as well as other things for my mother.
Since you obviously have some working knowledge of these subjects surely you are familiar with latency. As the Champions have already told you, the ping response time is well within the good range.
     To address the comments regarding the speeds of your parents' connection, 8.26Mbps on the "Up to 10Mbps plan" is a nominal figure and should be considered acceptable. If the system is set up very well, from the dish alignment through the network to a well performing computer it will most likely exceed those speeds during times the Hughes network is "off peak".
Now, as to why at other times they are only getting speeds of 2Mbps, When you drive somewhere and there is a lot of traffic you might complain but you understand why you can't go the speed limit.
When there is only 1 road to your destination, and I assume that there are no other options than satellite internet at your parents home, you don't blame the highway, do you?

BTW it is the highway's fault but the cost to rebuild it is usually not a practicality.

Sincerely,
Don Stephenson
Al Fischer

True. But if  it is a two lane country road to a town of 100 homes that is allowed to grow to a metropolis like LA then the 2 lane road may need an upgrade. Or the growth of the town should have been limited! Think about it
Josh Moore

I live on a 2 lane county t road and my internet works great. No complaints with mine love it
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Not possible to upgrade a satellite once it's launched and parked 22,000 miles out in space. No way to reach it. The only thing they can do is launch another satellite to increase capacity. That's being done in Q4 2016. 

Both HN and BrandEx are facing the same problem of over-demand for remote Internet service. The market is definitely under-served.
donsjgm
Junior

I live on a gravel road 3+ miles from a 2 lane road. Love mine too.  🙂
shaniboot
New Poster

Not everyone is so gifted as you.
Liz

Hi Peter,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!