Hughesnet Community

Is Frontier DSL better than Hughesnet G4?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Larry8
New Poster

Is Frontier DSL better than Hughesnet G4?

I currently have Hughesnet G4, which is slowly draining my will to live. I just discovered that my remote backwoods location is now eligible for Frontier's "Broadband Ultra + Phone" package for $57.98 per month with "Internet as fast as 12 Mbps", which no doubt means the speed definitely varies, but... no monthly data cap either (yay). The DSL technology utilizes the copper wire in my existing phone landline. Is Frontier DSL better than Hughesnet G4? Anyone have an idea?
11 REPLIES 11
Liz

Good morning Larry,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I hope someone who has experience with their Ultra plan chimes in with their input to help you out.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Something to consider. That 12 Mbps is "up to" and depending on the condition of your copper lines and the distance you are from the DSL switch station your actual speed could end up being significantly lower.

Any neighbors already using it about the same distance from the switch? I would definitely find out how far you are from the switch (Hub) as that is a big factor.
evelynbedford73

Hello.  I HAD Frontier DSL where I live.  I finally switched to Hughesnet after debating it for the past 2 years.  I work from home watching security footage and older DVRs for store traffic.  With Frontier I wasn't even able to watch a full DVR.  It paused every 15 seconds and took another 15-30 seconds to load the data so I could watch the next part of the DVR.  I don't have that problem anymore since I have Hughesnet.  I get twice as much work done.  Given the fact that I work from home, I almost always on a daily basis would get dropped numerous times, and then I would have to start the computer again, etc. etc.  Sometimes I wasn't even able to connect to Frontier.  I cannot stand them.  I was terrified to get Hughesnet to be honest, that's why it took me close to 2 years to finally break down and get them.  Frontier doesn't care how many times I called and complained.  They are awful in my honest opinion.  Grant it I only use HN for work - I pay the bill - and I still have Frontier reluctantly because my son has Xbox One and games alot - and he has drag when playing.

I have been extremely happy with Hughesnet thus far; I haven't had any issues with my data, speed, customer service, etc.  The evenings are a bit slower and that is expected, so I am not that upset about that.  But overall, I would choose HN over Frontier DSL.  I found Frontier DSL  as unreliable service, constant disconnects and extremely slow.  I live in Sullivan County, PA - which if you look on the map, is pretty up there in the mountains.  I live in the woods and Frontier is our only source of internet - besides satellite.  Maybe where you live it may be better, but for me, here - definitely HN.
deepdiver1
Sophomore

I would choose DSL if available, but as Birdog says, check it out first, preferably with a neighbor who has some technical knowledge re speeds and reliability. The speed usually is only important if downloading/playing video or interactive gaming where latency is also important.
"In general, the maximum range for DSL without a repeater is 5.5 km (18,000 cable feet). As distance decreases toward the telephone company office, the data rate increases. Another factor is the gauge of the copper wire."
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Here they have hubs/switches that are connected by fiber optic to the central office so the big concern is the distance to that hub and the quality of the copper for that final leg.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I have the Frontier Ultimate "up to" 24 Mbps plan available to me. My experience with Frontier in regards to my landline phone service has been less than stellar. I would sooner have a root canal than call Frontier customer service.
Those close by that use Frontier DSL range from "great" to "poor".
I have no need for low ping or unlimited data so I'll stick with Hughesnet as I have for the past 12+ years.
Brandon

as others have mentioned, your results will vary. would definitely look into it because if it works well, it's miles better than satellite

Frontier recently implemented DSL in our area and performance has been great. Haven't had a single outage in the 2 months i've had it and congestion has not been an issue whatsoever. we are on the basic plan (6mbps) at a promotional price of $20 bucks a month for the next 3 years. 
deepdiver1
Sophomore

Correct. The hubs are typically called SLIC's and are remote termials connected to the CO by fiber. So, if it is a newly available option from the telco, it is probably because of a new SLIC implementation.
smokeyjohn64

You work for Hughesnet.....
smokeyjohn64

I couldn't comment to you Larry so this will have to do.
Yes Frontier's "Broadband Ultra + Phone"  is better, don't believe the lies, yes dsl is way better than Hughesnet.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

You work for Hughesnet.....
The only people on here that work for Hughesnet have the title of "Official Rep" after their name.  BirdDog doesn't work for Hughesnet.  He's just giving factual information to consider.