Hughesnet Community

Is Gen 5 service available on Echostar 17?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coachguy
Freshman

Is Gen 5 service available on Echostar 17?

Hi, 

Current Gen4 user and would like to upgrade to Gen 5 service.  My current dish is pointed at Echostar 17 with a clear line of sight.

However I do not believe I have a clear line of sight to Echostar 19 due to trees/ north facing hillside. (I live in the woods , at the bottom of a northern facing slope.) 

Can I get Gen 5 service from the Echostar 17 I already have clear line of sight to?

Zip code is  21102 is that makes any difference.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning coachguy,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Good question-- I checked with our installation department, looks like you can go ahead and upgrade to Gen 5. If the tech definitely can't get line of sight to EchoStar 19, then you can stay on EchoStar 17, and still get that 30 GB Gen 5 plan. 

Hope that helps!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gokartergo24
Tutor

Not yet, Hopefully soon.

Don't quote me on this... But I thought installers could install on ES-17 if LOS to ES-19 isn't available?  I know the new modems and plans are usable on ES-17 right now because of those areas that dont get any ES-19 coverage are using ES-17.

Not yet.. We are supposed to be able to soon.. Only the three deads zones can get Gen5 on echostart17 now.

Ok, that stinks. Appreciate the reply.

I am currently on a Gen 4 plan that provides 15gb data per month. A Gen 5 plan for the same amount will provide 30gb data per month.
Do you know if I sign up for that new p gen 5 service plan and double my available data allowance?

I am currently running out of data with about 10-12 days left on my monthly cycles  due to having a bunch of teenagers in my house with heavy usage.

Thanks

Guy

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@coachguy wrote:

Ok, that stinks. Appreciate the reply.

I am currently on a Gen 4 plan that provides 15gb data per month. A Gen 5 plan for the same amount will provide 30gb data per month.
Do you know if I sign up for that new p gen 5 service plan and double my available data allowance?

I am currently running out of data with about 10-12 days left on my monthly cycles  due to having a bunch of teenagers in my house with heavy usage.

Thanks

Guy

Having a bit of difficulty deciphering what your question is.  Are you asking if upgrading your service to Gen5 and doubling your data amount would be enough to get you through the month?  

Gabe,

I apologize as my question is exceedingly unclear.  Let me try again.

I am currently on Gen4 pointed at Echostar 17.  I would like to upgrade to Gen5, but I do not think I have clear line of site to Echostar 19. Previous reply to this thread by gokartergo24 Senior states that Gen5 is not available in my area on Echostar 17 at this time.  I currently have a 15gb plan on Gen4. I would like to sign up for the 30gb plan on Gen 5 which is the exact same cost as my 15gb plan on Gen 4.

My question therefor is, can I go ahead and sign up for the 30GB gen 5 plan, even though I only have line of site to Echostar 17, which does not currently have gen 5 service.  I am seeking to essentially double my data allowance for the same price, even though I apparently cannot access the real Gen5 service on Echostar 17. ( i.e. I would stay on Gen 4 service, but double my data by signing up for Gen 5)

Sorry , that's long and a little confusing, but hopefully a clearer explanation.

Thanks

Guy

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Good morning coachguy,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Good question-- I checked with our installation department, looks like you can go ahead and upgrade to Gen 5. If the tech definitely can't get line of sight to EchoStar 19, then you can stay on EchoStar 17, and still get that 30 GB Gen 5 plan. 

Hope that helps!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!