cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is HughesNet going to switch to a data cap-less system like Excede?

Is HughesNet going to switch to a data cap-less system like Excede?

So Excede switched their plans to a no data cap system, where you are given data for use at full speed (12mbps down 3mbps up), after which it drops to 1-5mbps, which is much faster than HughesNet's Smart Browsing, and far more useful than an unrestricted period. Their prices are also still compatible to HughesNet's, $60 for 10GB priority, and a bit better value as the priority size increases.

http://www.exede.com/plan-results/liberty10/

Is HughesNet going to compete?
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Is HughesNet going to switch to a data cap-less system like Excede?

Not the same thing as no data cap.  Whether Hughesnet will implement something like this in the future?  Who knows?

Don't forget that Hughesnet gives you 50GB of Bonus Bytes at full speed.  Exede doesn't.  I'd rather have 50GB at full speed than HOPE that Exede's speeds after going over the initial allowance would be anything worthwhile.  There's a lot of assumptions there.  "UP TO speeds of 1-5 Mbps"  UP TO are the key words.      

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Exede:  10GB of high speed, then hopefully decent speed. 

Hughesnet:  10GB + 50GB of high speed, then Smart Browsing (for those who have it), which is still high speed for regular browsing. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

They don't even offer Exede where I live, or they are filled up and can't sign on any more customers here. 

Assistant Professor

One other thing that comes into play is customer base. Hughes, I believe, has at least three times the customers which means more data being used at any given time so more load on the satellites and gateways.

True.  But, when it comes to exceeding advertised speeds, Hughesnet is numero uno.  I wonder what sort of infrastructure Exede has.

I think I'll stick with Hughesnet.  The individual results between Hughesnet and Exede are telling. 

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/reports/measuring-broadband-america/measuring-broadband-america...

Honorary Alumnus

A peek at the Exede user forum is loaded with the same complaint types. Missing data, slow speeds, ETF, the list goes on.
Much better to monitor your usage and stay at full speed.
A "throttle" at the end of your plan limit is still a capped data plan.

I have "smart browsing" and it still takes 15 minutes for my gmail to open...

sallynug,

Perhaps when you do what was asked of you on the thread that you started you could start getting somewhere on your speed problems.