Hughesnet Community

Is HughesNet going to switch to a data cap-less system like Excede?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matthew Maples

Is HughesNet going to switch to a data cap-less system like Excede?

So Excede switched their plans to a no data cap system, where you are given data for use at full speed (12mbps down 3mbps up), after which it drops to 1-5mbps, which is much faster than HughesNet's Smart Browsing, and far more useful than an unrestricted period. Their prices are also still compatible to HughesNet's, $60 for 10GB priority, and a bit better value as the priority size increases.

http://www.exede.com/plan-results/liberty10/

Is HughesNet going to compete?
17 REPLIES 17
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Not the same thing as no data cap.  Whether Hughesnet will implement something like this in the future?  Who knows?

Don't forget that Hughesnet gives you 50GB of Bonus Bytes at full speed.  Exede doesn't.  I'd rather have 50GB at full speed than HOPE that Exede's speeds after going over the initial allowance would be anything worthwhile.  There's a lot of assumptions there.  "UP TO speeds of 1-5 Mbps"  UP TO are the key words.      

GabeU

Exede:  10GB of high speed, then hopefully decent speed. 

Hughesnet:  10GB + 50GB of high speed, then Smart Browsing (for those who have it), which is still high speed for regular browsing. 

GabeU

They don't even offer Exede where I live, or they are filled up and can't sign on any more customers here. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

One other thing that comes into play is customer base. Hughes, I believe, has at least three times the customers which means more data being used at any given time so more load on the satellites and gateways.
GabeU

True.  But, when it comes to exceeding advertised speeds, Hughesnet is numero uno.  I wonder what sort of infrastructure Exede has.
GabeU

I think I'll stick with Hughesnet.  The individual results between Hughesnet and Exede are telling. 

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/reports/measuring-broadband-america/measuring-broadband-america...

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

A peek at the Exede user forum is loaded with the same complaint types. Missing data, slow speeds, ETF, the list goes on.
Much better to monitor your usage and stay at full speed.
A "throttle" at the end of your plan limit is still a capped data plan.
sallynug

I have "smart browsing" and it still takes 15 minutes for my gmail to open...
GabeU

sallynug,

Perhaps when you do what was asked of you on the thread that you started you could start getting somewhere on your speed problems. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amanda

Let's just say its good to read the fine print. 🙂

Amanda
Pawnee County

Well I went into Smart Browsing Tuesday and really didn't notice any difference.  I even watched a few News Clips and videos without a problem.  In fact I did not even know my data ran out (I did a bunch of upgrading and downloaded Mint 18 .iso) until I went to the SCC and it said throttled.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I even watched a few News Clips and videos without a problem. 
They'll have to fix that.  🙂
Pawnee County

Maybe but I very seldom go over so no biggie.
Matthew Maples

I'll say for a little longer until the new satellite is operational and see if our data caps increase in line with the satellite capacity increase. If they don't then I'm jumping. Already paying near $75 to HughesNet every month for 10GB, and for that I can't even look at Youtube or stream music or videos from Amazon Prime or use any on demand services. That's getting old.
ericdanielle

I've been very happy with our service thus far!  We do get evening slow down, but haven't really noticed it unless I am watching a Youtube clip at 7pm.  Sure do love how fast game updates, and downloads are.  Our average speed seems to be above the advertised "Up to 15 mbps".  Did experience this morning the sadness of Satellite Service.  Big storm with heavy rain, and my wife yelling up stairs "INTERNET IS NOT WORKING!"  I shouted back "LOOK OUTSIDE!"  We both laughed, and I checked our modem (192.168.0.1).  Had signal strength of 5.  My guess is, we will be back online tonight when I check after work.
Pawnee County

I have noticed in storms the Satellite Internet bails before the DirecTV normally only last a few minutes though.  I am dropping DirecTv on the 11th anyway can't justify what I get for what I pay and mostly watch channels I can get over the air for free.  I haven't had any problems with Video using HughesNet as long as I keep them at 360p and never HD it eats data.  Overall I am extremely happy with HughesNet performance.  I normally I just watch News Clips on FOX News site or NewsMax, listen to SOMA Internet radio, and watch a Youtube show or movie from time to time.