cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Hughesnet blocking other VOIP choices?

New Poster

Is Hughesnet blocking other VOIP choices?

My (internet) phone recently stopped working (no dial tone) and after getting a new phone and running through all the troubleshooting suggestions .  My VOIP provider told me,  "I see that you mentioned Hughesnet as a Internet Provider. We have other customer that are having the same issue. It seem like Hughesnet is blocking third party VoIP since the launch of Hughesnet Voice. We have tried to speak with Hughesnet Technical support but they aren't confirming any blocking. We troubleshoot with other customers and saw that the ITP Adapter wasn't receiving any SIP packets. Which mean they are blocking SIP protocol."  
I have had Hughesnet for 4 or 5 years now, not by choice, it's the only provider out here in rural Mendocino. They've always greedily taken advantage of their monopoly but stopped short of being totally shady.  However,  I don't believe that this could possibly be legal, especially as their voice service is much more expensive than any of the alternatives. Is anyone else experiencing this?
25 REPLIES 25
New Poster

Re: Is Hughesnet blocking other VOIP choices?

I'm not, I just upgraded my service and have 50GB to play around with. I had hoped that would make a difference.
Advanced Tutor

It seem like Hughesnet is blocking third party VoIP since the launch of Hughesnet Voice. We have tried to speak with Hughesnet Technical support but they aren't confirming any blocking. We troubleshoot with other customers and saw that the ITP Adapter wasn't receiving any SIP packets. Which mean they are blocking SIP protocol.
Wow! I would sure hope not. I've used SKYPE on my system without problems but I believe SKYPE uses TCP/UDP and not SIP. I'll also try to run a few tests with our Ring Central system, which does use SIP.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
New Poster

I would appreciate that, I have no way of verifying whether or not SIP is being blocked since Hughesnet also prevents one from accessing any kind of information like that. Usually, ones router page will give you that information.
The VOIP service I was using, ITP, uses very little bandwidth in comparison to Skype (which I couldn't use at all on Hughesnet). I'm very aware of data usage, as I had the 15/15 service for a long time. I didn't use the phone enough for it to affect my usage in any major way. But I need a phone out here in the woods, and Hughesnet wants 29.99 a month!!! Oh, I know, first 3 months only cost as much as the most expensive VOIP service in the market.
New Poster

It worked well intermittently, in that sometimes it was clear as a bell and sometime the delay was awful. But we need a phone and a landline is not possible.
Assistant Professor

I kind of doubt they are blocking anything. But, by providing their own service, and sating it is the only one they support, it lets them avoid troubleshooting a bunch of issues with third party providers just like this.
New Poster

Ok, I understand that. Then why did my phone service suddenly stop working last week? I can't find any reason for it other than what the tech suggested. I'm fairly good with troubleshooting tech issues and if Hughesnet is not blocking then I'm open to suggestions as to how to fix it.
Assistant Professor

Things change on satellite service quite a bit like latency, beam and gateway loading, lots of other things. Even the load on the pipes leaving the gateway into the internet. I can't really give you a specific fix, sorry.

Have you noticed any changes in your overall service like speed, signal strength, latency, etc.?
New Poster

Nope, everything else works as usual. A bit better since I upgraded to 50GB but no phone.

Hi mitzi60,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. We want to help address your concerns so I've already pulled up your account to investigate further. I ran diagnostics on your site to ensure there wasn't something off with the HughesNet system, but everything is in proper working order. 

SIP uses ports 5060 or 5061, and the only port that HughesNet blocks is port 25 to fight e-mail spam.

Do you recall any changes to your system or other event that happened last week before your phone service stopped working? I'm not sure what troubleshooting you've done with your phone provider, but basic ones would be to double-check your setup, making sure all connections are secure, powercycling all devices, checking for which LEDs are on your device (if applicable), trying other phones (wireless/corded).

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.