Hughesnet Community

Is anyone else having a problem with downloading the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Is anyone else having a problem with downloading the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)?

This download is taking FOREVER.  After about eight hours yesterday I finally quit.  Today, after about five and half hours, it's at 10%.  I tried to manually download it from the Microsoft Update Catalog, and was downloading at a top speed of 3.4KBps, and that's in between the times it would stop downloading altogether.   

This isn't a Hughesnet speed problem, as my speed is just fine.  This appears to be a problem only with downloading from Microsoft. 

My Windows 10 updates often take a while, but not anything like this.  It's ridiculous.

I'm going to update my laptop and see if it's any different.   

39 REPLIES 39
maratsade

Did the slow or basically standstill download problem (related to initial post) extend past the 16th for anyone?
No, it was fine after that date.  All of a sudden it got unstuck.
GabeU

My notebook finally finished updating.  292MB and it took a little over  eight hours, though it was finished yesterday morning and I forgot to update the status.  It's ridiculous.  The three computer took me nearly two day's time, though I wasn't trying to update them all at the same time, which I normally do if needs bee.  Being that there was some type of problem I thought it better to update them one at a time.   

Now that it's unstuck for you, maratsade, maybe it will be for me, too.  I guess I'll find out when they release another update.  

A strange thing, though...when I was running all of the scans and such on my stepfather's computer after their credit card got nailed, I decided to download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner, and this was right in the thick of the update problems.  Though his Windows 8.1 updates were running as slow as they were on my notebook, the Safety Scanner downloaded in less than a minute.  138MB in less than a minute from Microsoft for the Safety Scanner, but the 280MB of updates took a little over eight hours.  Go figure.  His was 280MB and mine was 292MB because I had a Windows Defender update of 12MB.  His laptop doesn't use Windows Defender.   The other four updates were identical.   

maratsade

Though his Windows 8.1 updates were running as slow as they were on my notebook, the Safety Scanner downloaded in less than a minute.  138MB in less than a minute from Microsoft for the Safety Scanner, but the 280MB of updates took a little over eight hours. 
That makes no sense at all. I guess it has to be something with the particular update that's slowing down the download. What the frak?  Do you think it could be related to the intermittent issue we had a while back with apps downloading at crazy slow speeds? Is this a Microsoft issue or a satellite issue?

I hope you have no problems with upcoming updates, Gabe, but it's Windows,so uncertainty's the name of the game.
GW
Advanced Tutor

Unrelated but windows 7 updates are not a problem. I had three of thEse to do this morning with a total represented size of around 230 MB. The whole thing was finished and ready for a reboot in minutes. Actual download was around 23 MB
GabeU

Actually, I think it's very related, as I think it was a problem with the update server(s), so I think, if it was going to happen, it would happen no matter what OS one was using. 

I'm actually going to try to update my notebook again in a few minutes, as there are surely Defender updates available again.  Hopefully it will go well this time.  If not, I'm stumped. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Gabe,

One post of many from dslr:

Not speaking for anyone else, however, when update for Win7 ran for many hours, I downloaded the patch "Windows6.1-KB3102810-x86.msu" separately and installed it, after that, update ran quickly and it worked as expected. I was able to get 72 security patches very quickly and they installed with no trouble and no "egging" for Win10. Others may have a different experience, however this worked here.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31120214-WIN7-Windows-Update-runs-and-runs-and-runs

GabeU

I actually had to download something similar when I first reinstalled Windows 8.1.  I was having a heck of a time getting ANY downloads. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Any time you start an update, your computer generates a catalog and checks it against M$... However, there is a limit to how big that catalog can be, and if you are like me and use a Win7 RTM to do fresh installs, you can end up in one heck of an update pickle seeing as there are a whole lot more updates than the catalog can handle at first.  This is why you always seem to be doing update after update with a new fresh install.
GabeU

Well, I tried the newest updates to my Windows 8.1 notebook.  One was a Windows Defender update, and another was an update for my external HDD (I guess for reading it correctly).   The updates were 9.9MB, combined.  I used the snipping tool to take snapshots, but forgot to include the time in the lower right corner, so they aren't worth anything  (I feel like a noob with that one!  LOL). 

Anyway, it started downloading at 7:08PM EST and finished downloading at 8:31PM EST.  Once the install started, it finished in less than thirty seconds. 

It took 1:23 to download 9.9MB.  Wonderful.  Evidently the problem is NOT fixed. 

Again, this problem is affecting my W10 Desktop, my Windows 10 Laptop, my Windows 8.1 notebook and my folks' Windows 8.1 Laptop (on their Hughesnet system, not mine).  I simply don't get it.  This makes ZERO sense! 

Eh, I'm not even going to attempt to figure it out tonight.  I'm going to take the wait and see approach, but this is a real head scratcher.  If it was affecting one computer, fine.  If it was affecting all three of mine, but on my Hughesnet modem, fine.  But it's affecting a completely different computer on a completely different Hughesnet modem, as well,  so go figure.  

BTW, it makes no difference whether it's wireless or hard wired. 

alclarkefletche

any download takes looonngg time
my test said my service 87% of the users rate higher than mine
Amanda

Hello alclarkefletcherfarm381n

I replied to your post trying to get started on helping you here: https://community.hughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/test-my-system

Thank you
Amanda
rsegg1

Amanda, why has my speeds on my windows laptop, IPHONES and android devices slowed even more since "trying " the 50/50 package that you suggested would have better service? I Still can't update IOS and verify. Music buffers more and what little video clips that I look at does also. This is happening all day and late into night. I have asked for you to reply to me but have not heard from you since I started the 50/50 plan. Also my phone service has gotten worse, with dropped calls and people not being able to hear me!!!! It is pretty much useless!! I constantly reboot my modem but doesn't help.
GabeU

any download takes looonngg time
my test said my service 87% of the users rate higher than mine
The speed of the service and the problem of my slow Microsoft Update downloads were/are wholly unrelated. 

Hope this isn't repetitious but I didn't read all the posts.  Hughesnet is a "metered" connection.  Microsoft in their wisdome decided not to use up all our minutes so downloads are glacial during except during "bonus" time.  I tried to update at 3:30 AM and it went very quickly.  

GabeU

@mikea98092 wrote:

Hope this isn't repetitious but I didn't read all the posts.  Hughesnet is a "metered" connection.  Microsoft in their wisdome decided not to use up all our minutes so downloads are glacial during except during "bonus" time.  I tried to update at 3:30 AM and it went very quickly.  

The problem I was experiencing had nothing to do with the time it was downloaded.  I also don't quite understand what you are referring to when saying "downloads are glacial".

And Microsoft downloads have nothing to do with Hughesnet having a cap.  They allow people to set their systems to metered in WiFi (and LAN in the Creators Update), but they don't automatically know when a user has a capped service or not.  They don't cater to individual ISPs.  They don't step back their servers' throughput during the day and open it full during the night.   

maratsade

" I also don't quite understand what you are referring to when saying "downloads are glacial"."

I think he means the pace is glacial -- super slow. The Windows updates sure do appear slow to me, but this may just be my perception.

maratsade

"And Microsoft downloads have nothing to do with Hughesnet having a cap.  They allow people to set their systems to metered in WiFi (and LAN in the Creators Update), but they don't automatically know when a user has a capped service or not.  They don't cater to individual ISPs.  They don't step back their servers' throuput during the day and open it full during the night."

True dat. 🙂

The metered/LAN setting is for people with slower connections, metered connections, dial-up and such, right?  I tried the metered setting and didn't care for it at all.  I kept getting messages from apps (including the anti-virus)that couldn't update because of the setting. It was annoying.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

" I also don't quite understand what you are referring to when saying "downloads are glacial"."

I think he means the pace is glacial -- super slow. The Windows updates sure do appear slow to me, but this may just be my perception.

Ah, that could be it.  

@maratsade wrote:

The metered/LAN setting is for people with slower connections, metered connections, dial-up and such, right?

The metered connection is for people that have an ISP that has a capped data amount.  It's a way to stop some things from automatically updating and using your data willy nilly, which can wreak all kinds of havoc if one is nearly out of data.  It's also advantageous to those who pay according to the amount of data they use, though that's not as common these days, at least not in the USA.  And it also could be advantageous for those with slower connections, so that way all of their bandwidth isn't being sucked up by something trying to update, though I think with dialup it wouldn't make much of a difference, as simply being online with that just about uses all of your bandwidth, anyway.  LOL.  🙂  But, it's mostly to deal with capped ISPs.   

The Creator update supports setting LAN as metered out of the box? I think that is reason enough for me to download it!

I have been diving deep into the registry to set ethernet as a metered connection.. every update I manually installed would change it back.

Maybe Microsoft is finally listening...