Is it HughesNet or My Router?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monicakm
Senior

Is it HughesNet or My Router?

Having terrible problems lately with my IOT....Google Home devices, smart outlets, smart plugs.  Very slow to react and when they do, after the action is performed, I get a message **bleep** and right now it's working.  Is there a program/app I can download and run to see if my router/modem is dropping the signal or if it's the Internet connection?  I have Wifi Analyzer and saw it, once, dip down to -100dBm and then back to -40.  I haven't had the chance to catch it showing the wifi completely degraded and test my Google Home response/non-response.  I'm sorry if my terminology isn't spot on.  Maybe you can figure out what I'm trying to ask LOL

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@monicakm 

It's neither.  It's GREMLINS!  😛  J/K, and just a little levity for a situation which is no doubt maddening.  

You can try the HughesNet mobile app, which has a WiFi signal meter, but it's only going to test the signal of the WiFi of your HughesNet HT2000W modem, not that of your Netgear router.  And, though a WiFi issue wouldn't be causing what you're seeing in the SCC, keep in mind what I said about the WiFi of the HT2000W and the Netgear router fighting against each other, if you're using the same band with both.  Again, I don't know your particular setup, but it's always best to only use one source for WiFi, as in the HT2000W or the Netgear router, but not both, even if you're using different bands with each, as it can complicate matters when trying to troubleshoot issues.  If you prefer the Netgear router, and it can provide both 2.4Ghgz and 5Ghz WiFi (if you need both bands), I would use the WiFi from just that, with the WiFi of the HughesNet HT2000W modem disabled.

Again, though, what you're seeing in the SCC is something else.  It can certainly cause issues with your WiFi, as if your internet is down, your WiFi isnt' going to work, or at least there will be no internet through it, but it wouldn't work the other way, as in your WiFi causing a connection issue to the satellite/gateway.  That's being caused by something else.

P.S.  Just in case anything "bleeps" in this reply, I've taken a snapshot of its preview.  If it does "bleep", I'll edit the post and add the picture.

Whatever it is Gabe, this time it's kicking my hinder most parts!  I can't remember ever having this bad of a problem and not being able to figure out what's going on.  I've also never been 60 and my tech brain draining at an alarming rate (sigh).  

I have the HN app on my phone.  I don't think I've ever used the wifi signal meter.  I have an app called Wifi Analyzer

and have used it quite a lot.  I caught it a few days ago dropping all the way down and then bounce back up.  I've since

disabled  my HN radios and got a boost in signal strength (on the SCC).  I can't disable the Netgear radios.  It's what all

my smart devices are on.  I got a boost in signal strength when disconnecting HN 2.4 and 5.  

GabeU

@monicakm 

When your service is working, and the SCC status page is showing all green checks, does it take forever for that, or any other, SCC page to open?  If so, do you have a computer that's connected directly to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable, or one that you can connect directly to the modem with a LAN cable, to see if that SCC page still takes a long time to open while directly connected vs WiFi?  

If everything is working, as in all green check marks, the SCC should open nearly instantly with a LAN cable connected device.  If it's not, something is very wrong.

Oh yes.  If the SCC showed a problem, I wouldn't think too much about the page loading slowly.  I just tested it again.  It took 37 seconds to fully load.  All systems are green and signal strength is 92.  I don't know about the LAN cable.  I tried to look back there and remember what I used to know about all that 😮  What I can tell you tho is that nothing has changed as far as connections and cables (or routers) and the SCC page used to snap open.  Internet browsing was good enough (for satellite) and my IOTs worked flawlessly.  Now, none of that is working worth of flip 😞  For instance, GH used to reply to questions  in 3-4 seconds.  I just asked about the time.  It took 11 seconds to answer and THEN said "there was a glitch, try again in a few seconds".  More times than not it isn't replying at all and tells me to check my modem or router.  Yes, something is VERY VERY wrong.  What's the next step Distinguish Professor III? 🙂 

GabeU

@monicakm 

Well, the next step I would try is a device that is connected directly to the HughesNet modem via LAN cable.  What I'm trying to figure out is if the problem is with the Netgear WiFi, or even the Netgear router as a whole.  If there's no problem with a LAN cable connected device, it may suggest that the problem lies somewhere with that Netgear router, though where/what part of it would/will require more troubleshooting.  Routers can start having issues and cause problems like this.  

The ideal way to test this would be to disconnect everything from the HughesNet modem, including the Netgear router (at least temporarily, for the test), and then connect a single device to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable, whether that be a desktop computer (if you have one and it's possible) or a laptop computer that has the ability to connect via LAN cable.  To allay any confusion, a LAN cable and an Ethernet cable are the same thing.  

This is ONLY concerning the problem of the SCC taking forever to load, as that shouldn't be happening when the SCC is showing that the modem is connected and working properly (green check marks).  This isn't concerning the problem of the red X's that are sometimes showing in your SCC.  

This is pretty much going to be a process of elimination.  Checking the most basic connection, then adding the next thing, then adding the next thing, and so on and so on, until the problem creeps up and we can figure out where it is.  

Thanks Gabe.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.  OK, Netgear is turned OFF.  There are no connections to it and the modem.  The modem is directly connected to the desktop computer.  Still taking a looooong time to load the SCC.  12 seconds for it to come up and 27 seconds for it to fully load.  All systems on the SCC are green.  Nothing but the desktop computer is connected to the modem.  So this rules out the Netgear router.  There is even a delay in typing in these (and other) forums.  A whole word or two may go undetected (like it just did) before displaying on the screen.  

Very strange!  Some things I would try:

Make absolutely sure the modem WIFI is turned off.

Check with a system monitor to see if you have a process that's a CPU hog.

Switch to other LAN ports.

Try  a different computer. 

Things that you have suggested that I can try...
I will try switching to another Lan port.
GabeU

@monicakm 

Just in case, if you don't have another computer with which you can connect to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable that you can use to double check the SCC loading time, a WiFi connectible device would be alright, but make sure you're connecting it via the HughesNet modem's WiFi, NOT the Netgear router's WiFi.  You indicated that the Netgear router is turned off, but make sure that its LAN cable is also disconnected from the HughesNet modem, if it's not already.  

If you do use a WiFi connected device to double check the SCC loading issue, you'll need to re-enable the HughesNet modem's WiFi that you had previously disabled, and you'll need to re-enable it via the LAN cable connected computer.  

If, while double checking with the second device, you're still seeing the SCC loading problem, there's almost assuredly a problem with your modem, as that shouldn't be happening, and especially not with two different devices.    

@GabeU 

@Liz

Gaaabe!  You told me the test I did last night would be the sign I needed to know if it was Netgear or Hughesnet.  No, I don't have another computer and I'm really over all the slooooooow time, terrible backache, sleepless nights and anxiety and ignoring everything else in my life to work on this.  

Yes, I said the Netgear router was off.  I also said it was in no way connected to the modem.  HN modem was connected directly to my computer (as you suggested).

The HN radios are already reconnected.  I did that last night before I started yet another long night of troubleshooting.  I appreciate all your help but I am going to pass on all the extra steps you suggested today.  

According to HN/Liz, there are no trees or **bleep** the SCC as you said this test was ONLY for the SCC and if it was still slow, something is very wrong.  All this doesn't sound like it would take too long of a time, right?  Well when your browser is taking 12 or MORE seconds to even connect to a page and as much as a minute or more to fully load, it makes for long long troubleshooting.  I'm over it.  I've done everything I've been asked to do.  

I'm ready for a technician to arrive with a new modem and to check other aspects of my HN equipment.  Maybe I don't need a new modem but SOMETHING needs attention.

If I don't hear from HN today telling me someone has been ok'd to come out and have a date and time ready for me to accept, I'll be calling HN president's office.  I  have worked with not only Liz and you but also Damian and have been over backwards to be accepting of everyone's ideas and suggestions. I'm finished (sigh).  No hard feelings, I just can't do this anymore.

BTW, my contract with HN is over.  It was over in April.  There is a Community Internet Provider in Wills Point TX that I'm hearing good things about.  I've been dealing with this probably a month and it's just getting worse with time.  Think I'll give them a call and get someone out here to give me a price.

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

@GabeU 

@Liz

Gaaabe!  You told me the test I did last night would be the sign I needed to know if it was Netgear or Hughesnet.   

That's true, but I just wanted to rule out the very remote possibility that the slow SCC page opening wasn't as a result of a bad network card in your desktop.  And I only wanted to do so due to having never seen this issue before.  Not once.  And I don't mean myself, but on here or even social media.  It's the very first time I've ever heard of this happening.  But, with that said, if you've already seen the same thing with other devices, as in slow SCC loading, you don't need to test anything else regarding this, and something goofy is going on with that modem, as that SCC should load nearly instantly.  It can take a few seconds sometimes for it to start, but once it starts it shoud finish in practically no time.  When I click to open my SCC from a shortcut in my browser, it opens in 0.60 seconds.  If Liz hasn't seen this (the SCC loading issue), she should definitely be made aware of it, so I'll tag her, just in case.  @Liz 

I apologize for frustrating you.  That was not my intention. 

Oh, I know.  It's not your fault that I punched a hole  in the wall and broke the window and then had to go to the ER for a shot in my back from sitting at the comupter too long.  That's all on me 😉  On another note, did you just get a PM from me?  I don't see it under Private Messages.

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

On another note, did you just get a PM from me?  I don't see it under Private Messages.

Yep.  I got it.  I replied.  🙂  

Hi Monica,

Thanks for the pings, all.

About the SCC, let's try this:

1. Type only 192.168.0.1 into the browser and let us know how that loads for you.

2. If the above loads slowly, please try 192.168.42.1 and let me know how that loads.

3. If either of the above loads slowly, flush the DNS on whatever device you're using to access those sites.

4. If either of the sites load slowly after flushing the DNS, let me know.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks Liz.  I've been gone all day and most the night so I'm just getting back to this.  Happy to say that things are mucho improved tonight.  I don't know what knobs got turned or switches got flipped on the HughesNet side but thank you 🙂

SCC page is loading back to normal, browsing is back to normal but the most important improvement is that 

my Google Home devices are speaking to me again! 🙂

Good morning monicakm,

That's good to hear. Did you even try any of the suggested steps in my last post before noticing everything was back to normal? As far as I know, we haven't done anything to your site specifically for your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning Monica, 

Our engineers would like you to power cycle your HughesNet modem today, before your site visit this afternoon, if possible. Please unplug the modem's power cable from its brick and wait at least 30 seconds before plugging it it. Please let me know once you've done this so I can let engineering know.

@monicakm wrote:

Having terrible problems lately with my IOT....Google Home devices, smart outlets, smart plugs.  Very slow to react and when they do, after the action is performed,

I am an old ( 72 ) retired industrial electrican and process controls programmer.    IMO there are better solutions out there that don't use WiFi for control   I use a SCADA system that actually uses my house wiring to communicate with  remote devices.  There are a lot of people that make these systems  The stuff I use can be found at:

https://www.x10.com/