cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my dish out of alignment?

Sophomore

Is my dish out of alignment?

Starting a new thread to check into a possible dish alignment issue. As mentioned in another thread I used to be able to stream Youtube videos at low resolution in the evening, now that has become difficult. Daytime speeds and low resolution streaming are fine.

Not a big deal, I don't watch many videos, but would be nice to know if there is an issue.

Modem s/n is B30010795324AC
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is my dish out of alignment?

Hi foxbrook

Thank you for making the new thread. The reason I wanted a new one was to ask a couple of questions. It doesn't necessarily look like you've fallen out of alignment, but your signal strength isn't as strong as I'd like. I have a photo here of a partial line of sight. I am wondering what it really looks like from behind the dish? Can you see over the trees? 

Thanks
Amanda
Sophomore

Hi Amanda,

The elevation to the Echostar 17 from my location is 29.5°. I had checked for clearance from the trees before the install and had the installers check it before doing the install. We both concluded that there was significant clearance from the top of the trees.

The installers did say that they almost never see a signal strength over 100. So I thought I was doing pretty good with anything over 100. Right after the install it was about 95, it's crept up a little since then. 

I do appreciate you taking a look at this. Like I said right now it is not a big deal. If it gets worse or if my wife starts to complain then I'll need to dig into it a little more, first looking into potential network/computer issues on my end.

Hi Foxbrook

Signal strength depends on many factors, I think I've written about somewhere before but it would be a long journey to find it...

1. Weather, atmospheric pressure
2. Geographical location (for instance, we see mountainous New Yorkers with 75-90 signal strength) 
3. Assessed peer groups 

The last one involves gathering operational signal strengths of people in your "cell" or "beam" depending what satellite you're on... They are gathered, averaged and set to be a base line for everyone in that "group". Having a higher or lower does not necessarily mean there is an issue and from your end you'll never see if you're in the baseline or not - which is why a lot of the information provided via the control center is pretty useless to someone without comparative data. WE do use this information in a "data pool" to alert us if something major is happening. Small changes or variations aren't critical.

In your case, the signal strength of your dish has never met the baseline and steadily has gotten lower and lower, which is why I was concerned about the line of sight. I have an inkling either those trees are getting bigger, or the dish is slipping on the mount over time. I'd be happy to pay for someone to come out and peak it for you.

Thanks
Amanda
Sophomore

Hi Amanda,

Here is a screenshot from the SatFinder app on my phone:

Even taking into account the inaccuracies of the phone's GPS, it seems like we clear the trees.

If, as you say, the pointing of the dish is not up to par, then I'll take you up on your offer to have it peaked.

Thanks,
Gary

Hi Foxbrook

I decided to give it a couple of days and checked your diagnostics again. Today our tool is actually starting to indicate an alignment problem, so I'd like to just get someone out there for the sake of saying we got this part out of the way. 

I'll set up a visit and someone will give you a call to schedule. As is the norm for the community, your visit is free.

Thanks
Amanda
Sophomore

Hi Amanda,

Already got the call. I'll report back after the tune up.

Thank you!