Is my modem near death?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoffrey Leach
Sophomore

Is my modem near death?

My modem appears to be causing selective Internet addresses to be trashed. Example below of a one instance; another is Amazon pages only partially rendered.

Why do I blame the modem? Because power-cycling the modem resolves the issue. I can't  understand why that should be the case, but the evidence appears clear.

Some history: For several years I have powered down the modem overnight. Recently, thinking that I might be stressing its electronics, I stopped doing the power down.

So, questions.

1. Is my conclusion that the modem is at fault correct?
  2. Does cycling the modem power damage the electronics?
  3. Is there any way to reset the modem other than cycling the power?

Hmmm ... sorry no example. Even tho its in a code block, the message error checker would not let me post.

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Could you post a screenshot instead?

That's an idea. Here's what I have.

Screenshot_2021-07-05_10-17-21.png

MarkJFine
Professor

Your solution is correct although the diagnosis is not. Your modem's not near death but your wifi may be getting stressed with repeated weak hits to where the local DNS cache is getting trashed. Rebooting the modem clears the DNS cache and solves the problem.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Wi-Fi is not involved. The modem in question if the Hughes satelite interface modem.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Geoffrey Leach wrote:

Wi-Fi is not involved. The modem in question if the Hughes satelite interface modem.

It can happen regardless of the method of connection (WiFi or LAN).  

True. Have mostly seen that happen when there's a storm and the signal quality is very low.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.