Hughesnet Community

Is there a live meter for band width usage?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff Ronne

Is there a live meter for band width usage?

I am trying to determine which of my devises is using up my bandwidth. A "live" meter would allow me to do this. Is there such a tool?
15 REPLIES 15
Liz

Hi Jeff,

Welcome and thanks for posting. If you have multiple PCs, you may want to look into GlassWire. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

As for data monitoring apps for your mobile devices, there are plenty on their respective app stores. I'll defer to our community for their input on mobile data monitoring apps they've used.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

billmiller43

Very easily! In OSX click on Finder, select "GO", from menu select Utilities. Top of the list will be "Activity Monitor". Open it and select help to find out how to use it. You will see as much as you want. Showed me that Facebook is a data "HOG", as is the Hughesnet home page. After 27 days I have used 2.8 and 6.7 Gb of my 5/50 plan. Buy a Mac, and "Never go back"!
foxbrook
Sophomore

I ended up buying an ASUS router and flashed it with Merlin firmware in order to monitor all the devices on my network.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

You will be very happy you bought the Asus router and flashed it to Merlin, I have had mine for almost 2 years now with no problems and yes it will track data per device and is very accurate,
billmiller43

WRONG! I check any device I want, can graph, print, or what ever I want. I can check each application, which is why FB and the Hughesnet home page are not used. I've debugged  the network for all ATM's in Canada. Which IBM wrote and could not debug in ten years!  Also designed and set up aircraft maintenance for all airports in Canada. Not to mention designing, developing, and installing Owen's Corning's world wide corporate salaried payroll system. That is just for starters. The PC is a design that we said would not be secure back in 1980 when the first XT was released. Now in 2016 is has proven our theory correct. Just because Bill Gates worked at IBM developing IBM DOS, and left to write his own MS-DOS, did not make him anything but a "Pirate".
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Billmiller43,
The OP wishes to track all usage by device.
Do you understand .... ALL devices ?
That does rather take the Mac/PC issue off the table.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Is it only the more expensive Asus routers that can do this, or is it all of them?  I'm not going to do this, I'm just curious.  I already have a router that works fine, and I only use it when I use my laptop, which is about a third of the amount of time I use my desktop.  I actually have two routers, but one is getting a bit buggy. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I'll try and post a link to the supported asus routers when I can get to my computer. Maybe BirdDog or Charles will pop in first.
GabeU

Gwalk,

I appreciate it.  Like I said, though, I was just curious, so please don't go out of your way to do it.   

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Here Ya go Gabe,

Source:

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

ASUS routers are rather nice... Also, there is a version of Merlin that gets ported over to the NightHawk line of routers as the Nighthawk variants are pretty much the same as some of the ASUS routers, hardware wise.
GabeU

Thanks Gwalk!  I certainly appreciate it. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Do visit the site as it has documentation and screenshots of the router GUI.

GabeU

That RT-AC5300 is one heck of a router.  Sheesh!  It looks like something from Star Trek.  LOL.