cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with allowance drain

New Poster

Issue with allowance drain

I'm having a big issue with allowance drain this evening and have used 2 restore tokens only to see the '48%' allowance restored go away in a few minutes. I don't have anything else connected, and I'm not downloading/viewing anything.

The first restore token was gone before we finished dinner. I used another restore token and couldn't get an internet connection, so I rebooted. My allowance went from 48% to 12%. I stepped away to make a cup of coffee, and my allowance went to 4%.

While battling ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT errors trying to connect to this site, my allowance was exceeded, so I'm down to dialup speed.

Frustrated since I have work to do online this evening!
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Issue with allowance drain

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet.

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member:https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

For troubleshooting the matter;

Do You have an anti-virus/anti Malware solution(s) on your computer? Malware can use an enormous amount of data. 

If you don't have anti malware, i recommend Malwarebytes.

Junior

Hi rdillardtx,

I can understand your frustration, especially when you have work to do. It sounds like something was running or updating in the background on your computer. There are quite a few posts here on the subject with some excellent ideas. I recommend that you look at some of them and see if you can figure it out.

Don  Smiley Happy
Assistant Professor

Windows OS, 10 downloading?
New Poster

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I use Windows 7 Professional and don't upgrade anything Microsoft until at least Service Pack 2 Smiley Wink All updates (Windows, anti-virus, etc.) are set to notify before downloading, so that's not the issue either. Yes, all multimedia autoplay is turned off. I don't have extra devices using WiFi. We don't do Netflix, Hulu, or any streaming services...and no one sent me an email with the Internet as an attachment. Task Manager didn't and doesn't show anything unusual running.

The closest neighbor is 6 miles away, and we live on a private road, but the connection is secured anyway. I'm a boring application/web developer and use the internet 80% of the time for work. Everything was working fine most of the day until the drain started a few hours ago. When it started, even ping and tracert wouldn't find anything.

Strange thing is, even though my status meter shows red now, the connection is better than if was when I posted the first message, so I'm pretty sure it's not something I was doing.

Robin
Assistant Professor

If you downloaded the GWX KB update it is possible for 10 to download in the background without your knowledge. Not saying it is your problem, just that it is possible. 
New Poster

No, that's the Windows 10 update, and I definitely didn't download that. I double-check every Windows update before I allow downloading because I can't afford to mess up my machine. I also don't have the GWX folder in System32...but thanks for the thought!

HI rdillardtx,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. We highly suggest using GlassWire, a third-party program, to help you pinpoint what PC programs are connecting to the internet. Just directly connect your PC to the modem and run GlassWire. Please note that it only monitors usage on the machine on which it's installed.

Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using this program: https://www.glasswire.com

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hey Rdillardtx

Try rebooting the Modem I has a similar problem and all it took was a modem reboot.  The Modem was stuck in a loop looking for a website that wasn't responding.  I even closed the browser and nothing seemed to help until I did a Modem reboot.  I lost 8GB in about an hour.

Hi rdillardtx,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->