cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
infinitytec
Junior

Issues--seems to not be weather related

First of all, on weather:

It has been cloudy with occaisional rain in our area, and it seems to be similar at our gateway. I have only noticed weather-related downtime when there is a thunderstorm over the gateway or directly over our home. This is different. It is quite noticably different as the modem shows a link and the System Control Center shows we have good connectivity to the gateway.

The problem is that it seems our Internet connection is dropping randomly, while we are still connected to the HN gateway. Last evening it dropped and, after 30 or so minutes of troubleshooting, I gave up. It seems to have done it again this morning for a shorter time. Last night the problem was consistent over all tested devices.

I also tried pinging some websites, and they all timed out.

Screenshot_2018-10-07 HughesNet System Control Center.pngScreenshot_2018-10-07 HT2000W HughesNet System Control Center.png

Noticing that the DNS Accellerator was having issues, I changed the DNS settings on my PC to see if that would fix the problem. However, it did not work. The DNS accelerator has had a history of acting up.

Here's some stuff from this morning:

Screenshot_2018-10-08 HughesNet System Control Center(2).pngScreenshot_2018-10-08 HughesNet System Control Center(3).png

It appears that there are some issues going on. I think a couple of months ago we had something similar going on, but it seems like recently our service has been getting worse.

It does not help that we have two new devices on the network. Smiley Tongue

@Amanda@Hal@Lizany insights?

Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro
6 REPLIES 6
Liz

Good morning infinitytec,

Thanks for posting. I pulled up your account and ran diagnostics and, outside of being subject to the Fair Access Policy, the HughesNet equipment is running normally. I do see that it's still raining at your gateway, so keep that in mind.

Other than that, you may want to double-check your wifi connected devices, my diagnostics show none of them have a good signal quality to the HughesNet modem.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz, thanks for getting back to me!

Things do seem to be running normally at the moment. If you can check diagnostics from yesterday 9-10PM CST that may show something. The system did appear to be functioning normally, with fairly solid link lights on the modem as well as the modem reporting good connection, but absolutely nothing would load.

Our devices, for the most part, have solid connection. Some in the basement are not at the best location. My PC is approximately 30 feet from the modem with no walls. So it is not the WiFi causing a problem here.

Could you please explain what the DNS Accelleration error means?

Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro

Hi infinitytec,

We don't have full historical diagnostics data, so I wouldn't be able to see what my diagnostics on your system would look like from last night. However, I did a little more digging on our end and I see reports of a temporary service degradation affecting your gateway last night. This is likely the cause of your browsing troubles last night, and possibly those DNS Acceleration errors as well. DNS accelleration is just another way we help speed up your browsing experience.

Glad to hear everything's running normally right now. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Although the system seems to be more normal, it seems like it is still having more issues...

Hi infinitytec,

Could you please elaborate on these issues?

Regarding your wireless devices, these are the results I keep seeing in our diagnostics. The first screenshot was from Monday, and the second was taken a few minutes ago:

Poor and Fair indicate that the device is either out of range of the network or at the edge of the network, respectively. At least the Samsung device had good signal quality Monday.

Here are some simple steps you can try to improve the device signal quality (outside of optimizing your device settings). I suggest doing these when your data resets in a few days; troubleshooting service performance while subject to the Fair Access Policy is not ideal.

Pick a wifi device other than the Samsung to test its signal quality.

Move it to the same room as the modem, with a clear line of sight to the modem about 10 ft away (again this is just for troubleshooting purposes).

Check whether your performance issues persist.

If they do, if possible, have that device in the same room as the modem so I can run new diagnostics Tuesday (after your data reset) to check on its signal quality to the modem.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Good morning infinitytec,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.