Issues with Google Apps

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Breninithaca
Sophomore

Issues with Google Apps

My son has to do online public schooling. His school is using Google Classroom and Google docs to accomplish this. The high school kids all have Chromebooks to work from or they can work from their home devices. Last week this was slow but still worked. This week we can't access Google Classroom or any of the Google apps, just Chrome itself and Gmail. On my PC (Win 10) and his personal laptop (also Win 10), if you try to load docs.google.com it just comes up with a white screen and spins until an error comes up. He can't get his school Chromebook to connect to Hughesnet at all. Our iPad and both iPhones bring up Google Classroom and Google Docs in offline mode and refuse to go online. I've even tried our old Linux machine that we never use anymore and it can't get them to load either. Everything else works fine! I've rebooted systems, cleared browser caches, even gone so far as to try to download Google Apps from the Windows Store. It won't work either. And it's just us, because I've reached out to other parents from our district and they aren't having this issue. If it weren't for the fact that google.com and gmail.google.com were working I would think Hughesnet was blocking Google.
I don't think this is a data issue because we got an email just a few days ago from Hughesnet that they were lifting data limits indefinitely to help all the people who are now working and going to school from home.

30 REPLIES 30

Hi maratsade, 

We just need to know which sites/applications you're having issues with and a description of those issues. You can PM me that info and I'll add it to the list.

Thanks!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Velks

I'm having the same problems with trying to use anything Google. I am a teacher and it's really hurting that I can't get stuff out to my students😬

ArnoH
New Poster

What is HN doing on this issue with Google apps? We can only rarely access Google Drive, Docs, etc. This is massive issue for kids' schooling and work. Surely there is something HN can do to address this? I have Xfinity at my other location and I have zero problems. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They're troubleshooting and trying to fix the issues as fast as they can. They ARE addressing this.

Xfinity is terrestrial cable -- satellite is a completely different kind of internet. 

ArnoH wrote:

What is HN doing on this issue with Google apps? We can only rarely access Google Drive, Docs, etc. This is massive issue for kids' schooling and work. Surely there is something HN can do to address this? I have Xfinity at my other location and I have zero problems. 

Hi Marastrade, thanks for your response. I've seen you respond similarly to other queries on this same topic, going back 6 weeks or more. Is there any detail on what they are doing and when they will resolve the issue? It does not seem like a general satellite internet issue, as many other services work fine. This seems like a routing or gateway issue to Google and Apple services. Surely that should be sorted in short order? 

maratsade

" Is there any detail on what they are doing and when they will resolve the issue?"

Not that I know of. They typically do not share with subscribers how they manage their network. 

"It does not seem like a general satellite internet issue, as many other services work fine"

What other services are you referring to? Viasat is the other satellite internet service and it suffers from serious issues.

ArnoH wrote:

Hi Marastrade, thanks for your response. I've seen you respond similarly to other queries on this same topic, going back 6 weeks or more. Is there any detail on what they are doing and when they will resolve the issue? It does not seem like a general satellite internet issue, as many other services work fine. This seems like a routing or gateway issue to Google and Apple services. Surely that should be sorted in short order? 

@ArnoH wrote:

Marastrade squashes every complaint with "they're working on it", but demonstrates no specific inside knowledge nor any evidence. 

Occassionally Liz responds with "send us technical details" or "I've passed your information to the engineers".

A transparent organization would post a blog identifying the kinds of problems that significant numbers of customers are experiencing, what measures they have taken so that users can know whether problems have been addressed, and what they are doing to deal with current problems.

@dk3 wrote:

A transparent organization would post a blog identifying the kinds of problems that significant numbers of customers are experiencing, what measures they have taken so that users can know whether problems have been addressed, and what they are doing to deal with current problems.

Someone looking for a job?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

"Marastrade squashes every complaint with "they're working on it", but demonstrates no specific inside knowledge nor any evidence. "

Why would I have inside knowledge? 

"Occassionally Liz responds with "send us technical details" or "I've passed your information to the engineers".

And your issue with this is....?

"A transparent organization would post a blog identifying the kinds of problems that significant numbers of customers are experiencing, what measures they have taken so that users can know whether problems have been addressed, and what they are doing to deal with current problems."

Can you name other ISPs that do this? 

GabeU

@dk3 wrote: 

Marastrade squashes every complaint with "they're working on it", but demonstrates no specific inside knowledge nor any evidence.  

His specific knowledge is that they're working on it.  As for evidence of his claim...

Thanks for this detailed update, I've sent this over to engineering; they're currently investigating. - Liz 

@dk3 wrote: 

Neither HughesNet, nor any other ISPs I've seen, have been that transparent.  Nor should they be.