Issues with HT2000W

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjenkins99
New Poster

Issues with HT2000W

I'm new to Hughesnet. I signed up for the Gen5 after watching the awesome commercials.  I've had it for 4 days now.  Every day I have to reboot (unplug and plug up) the HT2000W after a few hours of service.  I've spent hours on the phone with support, and I use the term support loosely because they are not much support at all, and I continue to have issues.  Tonight, no matter how many times I reboot and cannot access all sites.  I will be cancelling if I cannot get some resolution soon. 

My symptoms after stuff stops working are:

1) I cannot access the HT2000W homepage at http://192.168.0.1 but I am able to access it at http://systemcontrolcenter.com.  A netstat command shows that it is connecting using IPv6.  Does the router have an issue handling IPv4 and/or IPv6?  This would explain why I cannot access all sites.  Maybe only the IPv6 ones?

2) Once on the control center screen, if I click WiFi Settings which directs me to http://192.168.42.1 that page is also unavailable.

3) I cannot access any websites but I'm still connected from the results of the self tests.  I can also ping any website I want with my normal delay of around 600ms.  This goes against IPv4 and IPv6 issues.

After rebooting, I'm also seeing issues with my devices reconnecting (via WiFi) back up without manual intervention. This pales in comparison to not being able to access the internet.

I have changed both 2 and 5 ghz SSID names and their passwords.  I have also added a MAC address to always be assigned an IP address.

I personally think this is either a hardware or software issue with the HT2000W.  Is there a way to factory reset?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 9.30.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-13 at 8.24.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-13 at 8.24.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-04-13 at 8.23.48 PM.png

Update 4/15/2017:

More good news!  The HT2000W is now dropping/resetting the LAN connections every few (3-5) minutes.  If I'm connected via WiFi it takes a good minute after it drops to even see the networks show up while searching.  If I'm hardwired it takes around 30 seconds before I'm connected up again.  I'm on the phone now with technical support.  I'll update with what happens next.  Thanks for your input.

Update 4/17/2017:

Sorry for following up so late.  "Advanced" tech support got involved.  We performed a factory reset.  For those that are curious the steps for a HT2000W are, 1) press the reset button on the back for 2-3 seconds, 2) then press the WPS button on the front for 30 seconds.  (I kept the WPS button pressed until lights started coming back on on the front and did not press buttons at the same time.)  I do not know if tech support had to do something on their end or not but that is all I did.  Once that was done, all is working.  I am now able surf without any issues.  I can access http://systemcontrolcenter.com every time.  I am still having issues accessing the http://192.168.0.1 and http://192.168.42.1 addresses at random.  This seems to happen when I download a large amount of data (ie a movie).  I could be completly wrong but that is my guess at this point.  To fix that I reboot the HT2000W and I can once again.  Testing will continue.

29 REPLIES 29
tlcfl
Freshman

It took a long time with tech support, but to perform a factory reset on the HT2000W, press the WPS button and the reset button on the back for a full 30 seconds.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Please be cautious about pressing that button on the back, holding it for too long will cause the unit to fully reset everything (would require a technician to go out to repoint the unit), not just the router firmware.

how long is "too long"?

tlcfl
Freshman

I was having the same issues.  I changed my DNS servers to Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) for performance reasons.  But they will not resolve "systemcontrolcenter.com".

When I changed it back to the default Hughesnet DNS servers, I could get to the configuration pages.

But I still can't get my Xbox 360 to connect to Xbox Live...  

Were you ever able to connect your xbox 360? I'm having the same issues

Good morning folks,

Our engineers are aware of these networking concerns and have a fix on the way. No ETA yet, but as soon as I get more concrete updates, I'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@Liz fwiw, I'm having the exact same problem.  New installation. Download speeds are phenomenal.

Can't get the Xbox360 to connect to the Internet. We only want Netflix & Showtime, not gaming.

Everything else is as advertised and great.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for letting me know. Our engineers have acknowledged that this is happening with the XBox 360 and are currently working to address this. Once I have any updates to share, I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hello all,

Thank you for your patience while our engineers work to address your concerns. Please try the steps here and let me know if they help.

Looking forward to hearing back.

This did not work for me, I have the same problems as those above.
MattScottHowell
New Poster

I also ordered and had this installed on Friday, April 14, 2017, and didn't think the so-called "600 ms" of ping time would make that much of a difference.  But something isn't still right.  When I run tests, even with Ookla, I'm showing that ping time and 48 Mbps to 50.  But going from AT&T U-verse of only 6 Mbps, the AT&T was faster.  HA! I also was on the phone with tech support twice on Saturday trying to get it resolved and couldn't believe that once the system is installed you have to the termination fee of $400 if you don't like it or doesn't work for you.  I can test-drive a $40,000 truck over the weekend and return it, no questions asked, but I can't cancel internet in 1 day without paying out the contract.  Hmmm!  Your post helped me in so many ways!  I also want to access the modem web address and tweak it as others have talked about doing and it worked for them.  I don't know too much about all this, but I know I'm beyond angry at my service.  

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MattScottHowell wrote:

I also ordered and had this installed on Friday, April 14, 2017, and didn't think the so-called "600 ms" of ping time would make that much of a difference.  But something isn't still right.  When I run tests, even with Ookla, I'm showing that ping time and 48 Mbps to 50.  But going from AT&T U-verse of only 6 Mbps, the AT&T was faster.  HA! I also was on the phone with tech support twice on Saturday trying to get it resolved and couldn't believe that once the system is installed you have to the termination fee of $400 if you don't like it or doesn't work for you.  I can test-drive a $40,000 truck over the weekend and return it, no questions asked, but I can't cancel internet in 1 day without paying out the contract.  Hmmm!  Your post helped me in so many ways!  I also want to access the modem web address and tweak it as others have talked about doing and it worked for them.  I don't know too much about all this, but I know I'm beyond angry at my service.  

What, exactly, is the problem you are experiencing?  Your post isn't really alluding to one, only that you are angry at your service for something.  The latency?  

Your Gen5 gives you test results of 48 to 50Mbps, and your U-verse was 6Mbps, yet the U-verse was faster?  How so?  Is this what you are referring to as a problem?  

maratsade

"Your Gen5 gives you test results of 48 to 50Mbps, and your U-verse was 6Mbps, yet the U-verse was faster?  How so?"

I don't know if this is what Matt is saying, but I could relate to this in that I perceived Gen 4 to be faster than Gen 5 -- the numbers don't support that perception, of course. When I had Gen 4, I felt the pages loaded up fast while the actual speed was measured at under 3 Mbps.  Now I measure speeds that are many times that (one time it hit 79 Mbps!) and yet the pages seem to load slower for me.  Sometimes they don't even load, even with blazing measured speeds.   So I can see how 6 Mbps may seem faster than 48 Mbps.

GabeU

@maratsade

For me, it's the "resolving host" delay that's causing some slow page loading.  Once the site is reached and the page starts opening, though, it's fine.  

I have even, once in a while, noticed that a page can't be loaded and it gives me some type of error, but within a second or two it loads.  I've even had this happen when going to the System Control Center.  LOL.  And it's not the computer, as it did it with my laptop, too.  

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

That would be DNS being a royal pain if you are waiting on the host to resolve.

Could there be a reason why the problem would not have existed with Gen4, but does with Gen5, while still using the same DNS (Google's)?  

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE

A question.  I've asked this before, but I can't really remember the answer.  With my laptop and notebook, to use Google's DNS, do I change it to Google's just in those two devices, do I change it to Google's in the devices AND the HT2000W's Wi-Fi, or do I leave the two devices on automatic and change the HT2000W's Wi-Fi to Google's?

As for my desktop, it's just changing the desktop's DNS to Google's.  

I originally changed my desktop's DNS to Google's because, when set to automatic DNS, the the adapter was always changing its DNS anytime I would start, or restart, the computer.  Glasswire was full of "bubbles" due to the constant changing of the DNS.  After changing the adapter to Google's it stopped, of course, but the added advantage was that web pages were found and started much faster than when on automatic.  

BTW, the DNS was always 192.168.0.1, but it would constantly change back and forth to things like fec0:0:0:ffff::1, fec0:0:0:ffff::2 and fec0:0:0:fff::3.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@GabeU

I would personally disable IPv6 on the individual devices, and set the IPv4 to auto, then on the HT2000w under the Wifi - DNS Settings, input the two DNS servers you want to use.  From that point on, the HT2000w will tell your devices to use those DNS servers, but it will still intercept known good records.  Would be less headaches in the end doing it that way, and disabling IPv6 should keep you from asking for an IPv6 DNS and that DNS over-riding your IPv4 one.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

@GabeU

I would personally disable IPv6 on the individual devices, and set the IPv4 to auto, then on the HT2000w under the Wifi - DNS Settings, input the two DNS servers you want to use.  From that point on, the HT2000w will tell your devices to use those DNS servers, but it will still intercept known good records.  Would be less headaches in the end doing it that way, and disabling IPv6 should keep you from asking for an IPv6 DNS and that DNS over-riding your IPv4 one.

I presently have everything set to Google's DNS addresses.  The desktop, laptop, notebook and the HT2000W's WiFi.  If I do what you suggest above, the laptop and notebook would use Google's DNS servers because they connect to the HT2000W's WiFi, but the desktop would not, as setting the HT2000W's WiFi DNS to Google's only affects the wireless devices, not the LAN connected devices, correct?  If so, I would need to have the desktop's DNS set to Google's, not automatic, right?  

I remember we were discussing this the other evening, but if I disable IPv6 could it cause any problems with any websites?  Also, is using IPv6 in itself a problem?