I'm new to Hughesnet. I signed up for the Gen5 after watching the awesome commercials. I've had it for 4 days now. Every day I have to reboot (unplug and plug up) the HT2000W after a few hours of service. I've spent hours on the phone with support, and I use the term support loosely because they are not much support at all, and I continue to have issues. Tonight, no matter how many times I reboot and cannot access all sites. I will be cancelling if I cannot get some resolution soon.
My symptoms after stuff stops working are:
1) I cannot access the HT2000W homepage at http://192.168.0.1 but I am able to access it at http://systemcontrolcenter.com. A netstat command shows that it is connecting using IPv6. Does the router have an issue handling IPv4 and/or IPv6? This would explain why I cannot access all sites. Maybe only the IPv6 ones?
2) Once on the control center screen, if I click WiFi Settings which directs me to http://192.168.42.1 that page is also unavailable.
3) I cannot access any websites but I'm still connected from the results of the self tests. I can also ping any website I want with my normal delay of around 600ms. This goes against IPv4 and IPv6 issues.
After rebooting, I'm also seeing issues with my devices reconnecting (via WiFi) back up without manual intervention. This pales in comparison to not being able to access the internet.
I have changed both 2 and 5 ghz SSID names and their passwords. I have also added a MAC address to always be assigned an IP address.
I personally think this is either a hardware or software issue with the HT2000W. Is there a way to factory reset?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
More good news! The HT2000W is now dropping/resetting the LAN connections every few (3-5) minutes. If I'm connected via WiFi it takes a good minute after it drops to even see the networks show up while searching. If I'm hardwired it takes around 30 seconds before I'm connected up again. I'm on the phone now with technical support. I'll update with what happens next. Thanks for your input.
Sorry for following up so late. "Advanced" tech support got involved. We performed a factory reset. For those that are curious the steps for a HT2000W are, 1) press the reset button on the back for 2-3 seconds, 2) then press the WPS button on the front for 30 seconds. (I kept the WPS button pressed until lights started coming back on on the front and did not press buttons at the same time.) I do not know if tech support had to do something on their end or not but that is all I did. Once that was done, all is working. I am now able surf without any issues. I can access http://systemcontrolcenter.com every time. I am still having issues accessing the http://192.168.0.1 and http://192.168.42.1 addresses at random. This seems to happen when I download a large amount of data (ie a movie). I could be completly wrong but that is my guess at this point. To fix that I reboot the HT2000W and I can once again. Testing will continue.
IPv6 just causes me strange headaches that I rather avoid... Personal preference.
The HT2000w "wifi settings" are just router settings, the DNS you put in there will be served to every device that asks for the information during a DHCP request, wired, or wireless.
Okay. I think I get it. Not sure about the DHCP stuff, but I'm getting that setting the HT2000W's DNS to Google's in the Wi-Fi settings will not only work with the laptop and notebook, but the desktop as well. I leave the DNS setting in the desktop on automatic, as well.
I don't know if disabling the IPv6 in the desktop will make any difference with the adapter's revolving DNS changes, but I won't know until I try. If it does it will be an added bonus.
Should I flush the DNS in my desktop after making the changes? The laptop and notebook, too? Restart them after flushing the DNS?
Doing a flush is upto you, I see no point in it unless you want to clear out any expired, or bad DNS records.
Okay. I appreciate the help. I'll give this all a try later and see how it goes.
FYI I just got Gen5 installed last Friday (7/14/2017) and I am having the same issues - 192.168.0.1 (or wifi settings from the other URL) not being available, and frequent disconnects.
If you are connecting to the Guest network, then the System Control Center wouldn't be available...
For me, it's the "resolving host" delay that's causing some slow page loading. Once the site is reached and the page starts opening, though, it's fine.
I have even, once in a while, noticed that a page can't be loaded and it gives me some type of error, but within a second or two it loads. I've even had this happen when going to the System Control Center. LOL. And it's not the computer, as it did it with my laptop, too.
I've had both of those issues, but mostly with me the page just won't load. Then 2 minutes later everything is working, and then a few minutes later nothing is, or only specific pages fail to load. Crazy stuff.