Issues with MAC OS Sierra 10.12.6 and Safari 10.1.2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twags50
New Poster

Issues with MAC OS Sierra 10.12.6 and Safari 10.1.2

I just started my Gen 5 service 2 days ago - for whatever reason, the service works just fine with Chrome, but most websites "hang" while loading with Safai? Does anyone have any settings that I can change to make Safari work better? I prefer to use it as it has my Apple keychain installed.

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
MarkJFine
Professor

Happy to see another Mac user.

I generally use Firefox but use Safari as a backup. I just tried a few sites using it and I guess I don't understand what you mean by "hang". Perhaps you could also give me an example site to try and see if I get the same results.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
runvids
New Poster

I also have this problem when using the wireless connection, but it disappears when I'm plugged into the modem directly. I believe the issue is an Apple related issue as I had it before upgrading to Gen 5 and Sierra OS. So far, I've had no luck solving the issue. I hope someone here might have some suggestions that work.

@runvids

I offer the same request to you, since I use the 5GHz wifi and don't see any "hanging". Also, please provide an example of a site that does this so I can try to replicate what you're both trying to describe. Then I might be able to provide some suggestions.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Sorry - I should have explained that better. Instead of loading the blue loading progress bar underneath the URL window loads about 1/5 of the way from left to right. It stays there, with the websites neither loading nor giving me an error message. This doesn't happen when using Chrome (or for that matter, when using Safari on my iPad).

Given that, it does sound like some sort of inherent issue with either OS Sierra or Safari.

Each browser treats "above the fold" content differently. This content consists of all the javascript, fonts, and css that allows a page to function and look the way it does, and is usually needed before it is actually displayed.

A lot of those items are externally provided from sources such as Google, which specifically does have a noticable delay from time to time on HughesNet.

The difference between Safari and Chrome (and Firefox for me) might be if those specific items are already cached within the browser (and how long it allowed to hold it) and whether they can defer using those items ("asynchronously") before rendering the page.

Both the MacOS and iOS versions of Safari seem very unforgiving in how they deal with those things. Not sure that's really an "issue" - more like an indesirable feature in this particular case.

I should clarify something... by "time to time on HughesNet" the delay is not caused by HughesNet, but HughesNet's provider at the gateway (Level3, et. al.). Has to do with the way with how they actually route the request to Google from HughesNet.

I'm having this issue as well. (Ack- mine is Safari 11.0.) The last couple days it's just been a delay in loading my page. Today- nothing. It won't search at all, but the bar is there like it's trying. 

I'm connected directly to the modem. 

Honestly, I changed the DNS settings (I'm not advanced and should have avoided that Advanced button) when it was lagging and now it won't do anything.

Advice on what I should do? 
Chrome is working better than Safari but still lags. I don't use Firefox (I guess I will try).

ETA: Firefox won't load either. Just continues to say "Looking up ...."

@thewarehouse

They are ironing out DNS Acceleration problems that hit the system yesterday, which is most likely what is causing the delays.

Thank you. Is there a way I can find the IPv4 or IPv6 numbers that should be in the DNS fields? I changed them to OpenDNS and Google (yes, bad move on my part; I don't know what I'm doing) and that's when the pages stopped loading. They lagged before and I'd rather have lag than nothing. 

If you're talking about the setting the wifi on the HT2000W, it should look like this:
Untitled.jpeg

Check "Obtain from ISP" and leave the other two blank, hit "Save Settings".

You should also set your computer's DNS setting to Automatic. On Macs, you do that by just deleting whatever you've entered with the "-" button and it will automatically pull the DNS settings from the router.

Silly question- how do you recover the admin password? *face palm*

the default one is on the label in the back of the device.

if you've changed it I think there was a procedure to hard reset it, but can't seem to recall...

Edit: Default is just 'admin'

Thanks for being patient with me. Found the default about the time you did.

Yeah, I was confused at first... the default password for each wifi channel is on the back label, not the admin password to access the settings. Hopefully, that didn't send you down the wrong path.