Hughesnet Community

It's been 2 weeks of this new service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noosemessia

It's been 2 weeks of this new service

And a ton of lag on my xboxone you think I lived in a third world country but I'm sure people in Iraq and Iran get better internet service than I do I'm going to end up canceling and finding a new provider that has a steady internet we tried to have a romantic evening and watch a movie on Netflix from our smart TV but it was pausing every 10 minutes🙄 this is not a third world country people this is America. I don't know why I didn't read the reviews before I purchase this service provider, someone should contact the better business bureau and the att-general and have this company dismissed you can't promise a service people aren't getting
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MarkJFine
Professor

Had you done your own research, you'd know that your HughesNet signal is going around 95,000 mi round trip, which takes a half second ping time to acomplish. Compare that to terrestrial service that goes around 3-6 mi, and yeah, your lag time is going to be horrendous. Unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do about it unless someone breaks the laws of physics.

BTW: this lag time has an effect on any real-time service such as streaming, skype, voip, or gaming. Hopefully, that's not what you were intending to use HughesNet, because that's not really what it's meant for.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Noosemessia wrote:
 I don't know why I didn't read the reviews before I purchase this service provider

Nor HughesNet's FAQs, which clearly states that the service doesn't work for real time online gaming.

Capture0.JPG

Nor even a simple Google search with something like, "Can I play online games with HughesNet?"  

Capture.JPG

I don't know what you expect the two entities you mentioned to do for you, save for maybe telling you to next time research what you're buying or signing up for before you actually do so, as nowhere does HughesNet "promise" anyone that they can use their service for online gaming.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MarkJFine
Professor

Had you done your own research, you'd know that your HughesNet signal is going around 95,000 mi round trip, which takes a half second ping time to acomplish. Compare that to terrestrial service that goes around 3-6 mi, and yeah, your lag time is going to be horrendous. Unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do about it unless someone breaks the laws of physics.

BTW: this lag time has an effect on any real-time service such as streaming, skype, voip, or gaming. Hopefully, that's not what you were intending to use HughesNet, because that's not really what it's meant for.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Noosemessia wrote:
 I don't know why I didn't read the reviews before I purchase this service provider

Nor HughesNet's FAQs, which clearly states that the service doesn't work for real time online gaming.

Capture0.JPG

Nor even a simple Google search with something like, "Can I play online games with HughesNet?"  

Capture.JPG

I don't know what you expect the two entities you mentioned to do for you, save for maybe telling you to next time research what you're buying or signing up for before you actually do so, as nowhere does HughesNet "promise" anyone that they can use their service for online gaming.