cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's super slow, when it even works.

It's super slow, when it even works.

I abhor HughesNet too. It's completely disqusting to try to call them. It's super slow, when it even works. I was promised an automatic rebate but found out I have to wait 2 months. I am maxed out and can't buy restore tokens online. I tried calling and was on hold for 3 hours. It really should be illegal to make us sign a contact when the sevice is this horrible. I had a residential account and changed to a commercial account (they charged me a new deposit and TRIED to double bill me) I am now looking into renting an office somewhere so I can have wifi with another company. It's impossible to run a business with HughesNet.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Hughesnet is the worst company I have ever dealt with!.
10 REPLIES 10
Honorary Alumnus

Re: It's super slow, when it even works.

I jest !    Smiley Happy

And don't call me Shirley...
Honorary Alumnus

Ken, surly you know that "advertising" is nothing more than "Bait" designed to perk your interest ?

Maybe not broadband, but there TV commercials hawk "Lightening fast internet"...
Assistant Professor

The size of the US has always been both a blessing and a curse. Much easier to get broadband to every house in a country the size of Germany. Same with anything infrastructure related like roads, bridges, etc.
Highlighted

I know... I have done all of that.. you are right, it is amazing how much faster things load when you do that.. 

I am tired of being limited in what I can do just because of where I live.. there are places on this planet in "third world countries" that have better internet access than in the rural United States!!!   We are supposed to be a global leader in this type of thing!!  There seems to be NO effort to help improve this problem either..  We keep getting left behind while more populated areas see their speeds increase and we get left further behind.. I understand it is a logistics problem getting all of us with decent speeds..  It will cost more than one can think of to connect everyone, but I dont even see a effort to even attempt to come up with a solution!!!!
Honorary Alumnus

John,

Hughes has not referred to their service as "broadband" in years ... ever since the term was "defined". Notice that it is described as "high speed".

As to data caps ... yes, web content has changed. Many sites now "auto start" video content and are just "bloated"

One nearly mandatory step for those with limited data and speed it to install browser extensions such as Adblock Plus and Noscript.

It is surprising how much this will appear to speed page loads and reduce data consumption.

A user also has to carefully go through all browser settings to turn off all "cloud activity" such as browser back channel "sharing", error reporting and so forth.

I should have known better.. I was installing them back in '08 when I decided to sign up (Sat is the only thing I can get).. I got to admit, back then, (when webpages were not so data heavy like now) it was allright.. not perfect by any means, but usable..  now the standard internet in town is close to 100 meg and I am still stuck on 1.5meg..  Web developers do not think about people like us when designing sites..  (really there is no use because we are a extreme Minority)

What should be illegal is them selling this as broadband internet..  the FCC changed the definition of broadband  and what I have no longer qualifies as such.. add to that a 500 MB cap a day.. Yes.. 500 MB!!!  and I am paying right at $80 a month for this.. (of note: I am on the grandfathered Pro Plus plan on the HN9000)  I feel as they are taking advantage of people who have no other sources to go to..  The feds came in and pumped some cash to AT&T and Verizon to help build out networks.. know where that money went.. They put in a few more cell towers and got away with being able to sell more EXPENSIVE mobile broadband.. you know that $100 for $150+ a month!!

I wish you the best of luck if you can not get service anyway else.. Depending on signal strength and the amount of data you would be transferring, mobile broadband may work.. better than this ripoff anyway

Good morning Amy,

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will let our call center management know about your experience so that others can have a better one. I do want to help address any concerns you may still have, like your speeds. 

To help us address your concern, please connect your computer directly to the modem and run some speed tests for us to evaluate. Please run a set of 5 speed tests 3 times over the course of a 24 hour period for us to properly evaluate your speeds. Your patience and cooperation is appreciated, and we look forward to hearing back from you.

Speed test: http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com

Then please post a case number or the serial number located on the bottom of your modem so we can pull up your account and run diagnostics to check on the HughesNet equipment.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->