It seems like Gen5 is slower than Gen4 for streaming

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SkunkBuddy
Freshman

It seems like Gen5 is slower than Gen4 for streaming

I takes forever to watch a 45 second video since I can only stream about 7 seconds at a time before it stops to buffer. This sucks. My phone hotspot is faster. 

10 REPLIES 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@SkunkBuddy

Have you tried pausing, or turning off, the Video Data Saver to see if that makes any difference when streaming?  What definition are you streaming in?  

What is Video Data Saver?

SkunkBuddy
Freshman

It's still slow most of the time. I can't stream a YouTube live Dead show at 144 without it stuttering. This suck. 

Yes, I do have the video data saver off. 

GabeU

@SkunkBuddy

Do you know what types of speeds you are getting with the service?  If you've already run some speed tests, can you provide a link(s) (or even a pic) to the results?  If you don't have results or haven't previously run any tests, the reps will need some speed tests to be run to help determine the cause of the problem.  And I know this may seem like a pain, but it's the first step in troubleshooting the problem.  The speed tests instructions are as follows....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY  

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

It isn't always slow. I don't have time to keep detailed records or keep calling them about it. It is very inconsistent and I shouldn't have to waste my time messing with it. The service sucks, period. I don't have time to talk to some fool overseas who is reading off a list. 

Running tests and sharing them with people on a discussion forum is not how I spend my time. People who work there need to fix it or I will sue, plain and simple. What kind of company expects civilians to deal with their tech support? I didn't sign up for that. I would rather spend that time warning others of how bad this service is on social media. 

GabeU

No one's going to twist your arm to troubleshoot your service.    

Good luck to you.  

SkunkBuddy
Freshman

After about 20 interactions, I threatened to cancel my service if they didn't send a tech out. It ends up the dish wasn't tightened to the pole, so it would move and the signal strength would change, when they upgraded from gen4 to 5 they used the same cable and it got water in it and needed replacing, and the electronics on the dish were bad and also had to be replaced. 

The tech they sent to the house left the new cable sitting on the ground - even though I pay the insurance, they don't bury the cables. I just had back surgery and was expected to bury the cable myself. 

The phone/chat tech support is poorly trained. They have no idea what they're doing. Months and months I had to deal with shoddy service and they acted like I was crazy and nothing was wrong. I was told I shouldn't expect to be able to stream, even at 144p (which makes your eyes feel like they're bleeding) during prime time. All they had to do was send someone out. I pay the service insurance for a reason - I shouldn't have had to go through months of bad service and incompetent support agents. 

I filled out the email survey they sent after service and requested they contacted me about my displeasure. An American tech supervisor (pleasant surprise) called me a couple weeks later and reviewed my account and said what I went through wasn't acceptable, he gave me a discount for 6 months, and he said someone would be out to bury the cable. It has been a couple of weeks since we talked, and the cable is still sitting above ground. 

Hi SkunkBuddy,

I am a field services manager here at HughesNet. I just created a repair order for a tech to come to your home and bury the cable. Sincere apologies for the wait. You should be receiving a call soon to schedule the visit.

Someone came out and buried it today.

Thank you. 

Glad to hear it, SkunkBuddy. Thanks again for reaching out in the community!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!