cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JUST INSTALLED! Speeds are at....

Honorary Alumnus

Re: JUST INSTALLED! Speeds are at....

Just to toss one in here .. actually routers can cause "leaks" or at least be involved.
Much depends upon the knowledge and experience of the user.

Some routers ... Linksys if I remember correctly have/had an issue where they auro check for firmware updates and get caught in a loop .. and burn data like crazy.

Setting up a "cloud" remote access account opens up a potential back door that can be exploited.
Not disabling "Guest Account" can lead to a leak as well as not disabling WPS.

Those items are core to the "guts" of the router.
Yes those issues can be "handled" OK but the novice user is totally unaware of these types of things.

We then of course have the issue of "my router is password proteced" which is not the same thing as what level, if any, a user has set up on the wireless side of the router.

Password and encryption passkey or passphrase are not the same thing.
Distinguished Professor IV

I was referring more to a router actually causing a leak, not it being exploited and someone/something actually using the data, which happens, unfortunately, especially in populated areas, but I didn't know about the loop thing, so that's good to learn.  That's why you guys are Champions. 

I remember something like that being mentioned in a post a while back with regard to the modem itself, too.  Something where it's trying to establish a connection or search for files or firmware and gets stuck in a loop.  I don't know if that's exactly right, but I remember something about a loop causing it to continuously use data.  If I remember correctly it's rare, but it's happened. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Honorary Alumnus

Just tried to fix my typos in my post and .... to late but I think the basic premise can be derived.
Modem loops are rare and can be found in the modem logs .. that reminds me, I need to post a copy of my "SCC Lite" although I think Hughes would rather users not muck around in the SCC Advanced Pages.
There is however much to be seen there including toggling Web Acceleration, doing an MBX Reset and incrementing to a different Web Acceleration Server if needed.

I don't think those two things would cause any alarm.  The more involved things, though...? 

Is there a post that gives a good explanation and/or instructions for making sure the router settings are configured properly to be secure?  That would be a good thing for a sticky post.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All,

My wife and I looked at each other last night, and said...  "It will be a sad day when the data stops resetting".  BUT, on the other hand, as we plan ahead, and have gotten in the practice of shutting down the wi-fi devices, and updating devices and games during our Bonus bytes, we should be just fine.  We don't really have a choice now when it comes to data. 50gb/50gb = 100gb a month.  But more on the lines of speed.  We are pleased.  I ran 3 tests again, the first when I got home from work, 530pm = 15 Mbps, 2nd test 10pm 1.12 Mbps, and this morning at 6am 19Mbps.

We are very pleased with the speed!  The slowdown actually didn't happen until my wife was done with two episodes of Netflix tv, and we noticed it in the 3rd.  She used 330mb of data watching those three shows.  Which I thought was a little odd, as I thought I was seeing 300mb per show.  So again I will have to watch that a little closer.

As for windows vs. Linux.  I just don't like how windows always needs updates.  I like that Linux seems for me to run longer without any fuss or a need to reformat do to clutter.  Seems for me windows is like a street sweeper picking up trash as you go along until something doesn't work and it slows beyond belief.  Linux seems to run fast consistently FOR ME.  Everyone is different.

Take care!

Eric

Highlighted

All,

My wife and I looked at each other last night, and said...  "It will be a sad day when the data stops resetting".  BUT, on the other hand, as we plan ahead, and have gotten in the practice of shutting down the wi-fi devices, and updating devices and games during our Bonus bytes, we should be just fine.  We don't really have a choice now when it comes to data. 50gb/50gb = 100gb a month.  But more on the lines of speed.  We are pleased.  I ran 3 tests again, the first when I got home from work, 530pm = 15 Mbps, 2nd test 10pm 1.12 Mbps, and this morning at 6am 19Mbps.

We are very pleased with the speed!  The slowdown actually didn't happen until my wife was done with two episodes of Netflix tv, and we noticed it in the 3rd.  She used 330mb of data watching those three shows.  Which I thought was a little odd, as I thought I was seeing 300mb per show.  So again I will have to watch that a little closer.

As for windows vs. Linux.  I just don't like how windows always needs updates.  I like that Linux seems for me to run longer without any fuss or a need to reformat do to clutter.  Seems for me windows is like a street sweeper picking up trash as you go along until something doesn't work and it slows beyond belief.  Linux seems to run fast consistently FOR ME.  Everyone is different.

Take care!

Eric

Eric,

You'll actually find that slowdowns in the evening aren't at all unusual.  It's happening because that's when the highest number of people are online using the system.  For most things you probably won't notice much difference.  It's really only the things that require higher, steady bandwidth that may be affected.