Hughesnet Community

Just a good example of the "Smart Technologies"...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Just a good example of the "Smart Technologies"...

And keep in mind, the Glasswire snapshot is only from this desktop, whereas the Status Meter snapshot is total usage.  I have two other computers that have been kept up to date, though aren't used nearly as much as the desktop.  With that said, the total Glasswire usage for all three computers may be as high as 5.5GB.  Not bad, eh?  Whatever Hughesnet's doing to save me data, they are doing it well.  

From Jan 4th to present... 

17 REPLIES 17
maratsade

Gabe, you are the king of judicious data usage. 🙂  
Amanda

Not too shabby Gabe! Now if only there was a way to 'compress' the gas in my car..

Amanda
GabeU

You'd think so, but in actuality it's not that I purposefully try to use so little data, it's just that nothing I do uses much.  There's only been one month where I got close to my Anytime Data limit, and that was due to the W10 Anniversary updates on three computers, plus downloading a couple of other sizable things.  That time I did try to be careful toward the end of the month, even though I had/have plenty of Token Bytes available.  

Can you imagine if the data rolled over?  I might then sign up for Netflix and start watching some movies that I never see on the pay channels.  LOL.  
GabeU

Boy, oh boy, do I hear you there!  🙂
maratsade

You'd never leave the house, Gabe, so maybe it's best if it doesn't roll over. 😉 
maratsade

There's gotta be something in quantum physics that could do this.  Yes, I do watch too much Star Trek and it spoils me for reality.
GabeU

I'd emerge from the house three months later and thirty pounds lighter with a beard four inches long.  LMAO!  
gokartergo24
Tutor

GabeU can you send me a email at gokartergo24@hughes.net  I want to send you a picture.
GabeU

Done. 

williamtobler

With permission, I'd like to start a new thread about GlassWire if I may.  Now this isn't really about Hughes, because I have two ISPs, and the event that I am going to describe briefly here was when I was connected with my uncapped and no limit DSL (but Hughes upload/download speed is higher).

I purchased GlassWire Pro around 4 months ago (I think Amanda suggested Glasswire Free), and I was recently looking back at the history.  I was astonished to find an upload of 750GB (yes gigabyte, and about 10 months of Hughes quota) that as far as I was concerned was unauthorized, unknown, and went to an unknown destination.  Basically, it was my network drive that my personal data drive is backed up on regularly, using Acronis 2016.  Since then, there have been additional uploads after an incremental backup is performed.

I have tried real hard to sort this out including posting at Microsoft, but I have run out of gas and ideas.  One I want to stop it, and two I would like to know where it came from.

Glasswire indicates that the App is "System", the Host is my Seagate 41257D network attached drive, and the Traffic Type is Microsoft-DS Active Directory.

Microsoft told me to disable the Microsoft-DS Active Directory service, but I didn't find any such service to disable.  This is Windows 10.

And this is relevant to Hughes because of the frequent complaints about data leaks.

GabeU

You can start a new thread about Glasswire.  Just choose Off Topic in the related categories below. 

It sounds like something may be trying to backup to a cloud. 

GabeU

An update...

Also, again, in the same time period my other two computers have probably used around 600-700MBs combined, so add that onto what Glasswire says for this desktop.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Holy Cow!

3..2 vs. 8.1 and I thought I was a miser.

GabeU

Well, don't forget the 1.5 bonus bytes, too.  But yeah, even 4.7 is miserly.  The funny thing is I don't even try to conserve, it just works out that way.  
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Come to the dark side......stream little one......stream. 🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

And he is sitting on 21 GB in token data.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Netflix has some great original shows, low def recommended of course.