Freshman

Lagging bad online gaming

15 REPLIES 15
lighthope1
Senior

@Gib888wrote:
https://testmy.net/db/6u4ZlArTR.HG782mYBc

Your testmy looked okay to me.

You didn't say what online game you were having trouble with.  That can be a factor.

MMOs are generally pretty thrifty with data.  On the other hand, I understand that games like Call of Duty drink data like someone lost in the desert.

Is your problem recent or has it been going on for a while?  What is your ingame latency?

World of Warcraft works fairly well with satellite.  You'll never be a high-end raider, but if you're willing to give that up, the game is emminently playable if you learn to work with the latency.

Final Fantasy XIV, on the other hand, is completely unplayable.  The server doesn't play well with high latency and you'll never get out of the way of telegraphed attacks.

Guild Wars 2 the jury is still out on. I'm testing it and haven't had much success, but it could also be how I'm playing it.

Online shooters like CoD I've never played.  But any kind of Player vs Player relies on a very low ping and will never work well with satellite.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Gib888

Is this something new or have you been experiencing this?  Is it with specific games or all games?  

Keep in mind that, because of the high latency inherent to satellite internet, many games are either unplayable or will not play well.   

The gaming section of the FAQs might help.  https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions

This result is while sitting 10' away from modem
https://testmy.net/db/RqgC0KOG8.rfKUH0yRB

I'm seriously considering cancelling my service. I see from many other posts that this is not "my" problem, but that HN is blatantly lying about the service they provide.

I'm trying to play World of Tanks Blitz. It's an awesome game once I drive 20 mins to town and sit in a parking lot that gets Verizon wireless

@Gib888wrote:
I'm trying to play World of Tanks Blitz. It's an awesome game once I drive 20 mins to town and sit in a parking lot that gets Verizon wireless

As I said previously, satellite does not work well with Player vs Player type games which require fast reflexes.  The inherent delay in sending the signal up to space and back makes it impossible to play games that need instant reflexes.

Even HughesNet says that in their FAQ:

Question: Why don’t real-time games work?

Data must travel approximately 45,000 miles with satellite Internet – from dish to satellite and back again. This creates a fraction of a second delay in Internet responsiveness. While browsing for a website or downloading content, this delay goes unnoticed. But during real-time multi-player games, this delay creates game latency (high ping) and an unreliable connection with the gaming server. Many game servers will auto-kick players who have a high ping, as it creates “lag” and disrupts gameplay for others.

https://internet.hughesnet.com/faqs/gaming/

Yeah, but their commercial and the sales ppl are very misleading. The one thing I did notice is that my service worked excellent for the first month, played my game np. After first month, it took a massive **bleep** on me and hasn't worked right since

@Gib888wrote:
Yeah, but their commercial and the sales ppl are very misleading. The one thing I did notice is that my service worked excellent for the first month, played my game np. After first month, it took a massive **bleep** on me and hasn't worked right since

Yeah, I've heard horror stories about their sales people. It's like they don't even understand the product they are selling.

If you talked to a sales person at HughesNet, it seems those calls are recorded, so someone can review it and make sure you were not told a blatent lie.

Keep calling tech support. Don't let them off the hook.  Tell them you want to talk to a supervisor, and log your calls and what happened.

@Gib888wrote:
I'm seriously considering cancelling my service. I see from many other posts that this is not "my" problem, but that HN is blatantly lying about the service they provide.

What is it you think they lied about?

I'm not trying to White Knight for them. I'm literally counting the time until I can cancel my service as well. (No other provider in the area at the moment. HughesNet is literally a monopoly where I live.)

But I don't want to blame them for something they didn't do. There are plenty of reasons to dislike HughesNet.  Just want to make sure you're cancelling for the right reason.

What did they lie about? HIGH SPEED INTERNET!!!
25MB DWN LOAD:
https://testmy.net/db/pSNslhDH2
I will do 4 MB upload, if my wifi stops disconnecting!

@Gib888wrote:
What did they lie about? HIGH SPEED INTERNET!!!
25MB DWN LOAD:
https://testmy.net/db/pSNslhDH2
I will do 4 MB upload, if my wifi stops disconnecting!

High Speed internet is defined by the Federal Communications Commission as 25 megabits per second or faster.

(Strange, the acronym for Federal Communication Commission is censored on this board. Go fig.)

This article is from 2015, so it may have changed since then.

Your upload speed is pretty good.  If the wifi stops disconnecting as you say.  That is a tech support problem, not a lie by HughesNet.

As far as speeds go, HughesNet is pretty upfront about those.

Right on their Plans and Pricing page it says "**The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps"

It's at the bottom of the page.

So I understand your frustation.  Your having connection problems with your modem/wifi.  Talk to tech support...if any of them can stop reading the script they have and give you actual help.

But HughesNet hasn't lied to you about anything.

I wish I had another option, but I don't. I live on the edge of Verizon service and thought HN was a real choice. They may not like as you state, but their service is definitely not high speed and it's always very spotty. I can't wait for a company to step up and give me true high speed internet because that's the day HN will lose my business
Gib888
Freshman

This may be a a 2nd post as my HN wifi keeps disconnecting, but - I just ordered a Wilson 4G Verizon signal booster and I've got directions on locating a tower and building a Yagi antenna. If it works, later HN!

@Gib888wrote:
This may be a a 2nd post as my HN wifi keeps disconnecting, but - I just ordered a Wilson 4G Verizon signal booster and I've got directions on locating a tower and building a Yagi antenna. If it works, later HN!

Good luck.

I live 2 miles from a tower, but I live in a valley and can't get any signal.

Anyway, the mobile plans all are terrible, so it would not be much of a choice anyway.

Ok, HN was running Upload speeds between 1.3/1.7mbps. That works for me (actually 1.5+ is way better, but still laggy for the game). The thing is ::: CONSISTENCY! My upload speed goes from 1.7mbps to 400kbps. Two cans wired together with fishing string gets at least 1mbps