Hughesnet Community

Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

Is there any maintenance or anything like that going on with my Gateway (ES19, Roseburg OR(9)) or Beam (051) as of recent?   My late night speeds over the last couple of nights have plummeted, and during a time when they should be going up, not down.  Normally my speeds late at night are in the 30Mbps and 40Mbps range, and right now they're not even hitting 2Mbps, with one hitting only 572Kbps.  Earlier this evening a test around 9PM EST showed a speed of a test showed 27.54Mbps, which is about normal for me for that time of night.

I don't have a whole lot of tests in at this point for this issue, but you can already see how bad they are compared to what they normally are.  On early Saturday morning (3:00AM EST) I downloaded a 2.6GB Ubuntu file, and the speed was great.  Less than 48 hours later it's this.  🙁

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

I'll try to get a few more tests in tonight and then some during the day tomorrow.

I'll leave my modem plugged in so that you can look at my system if you need to.  I also ran a couple of tests at HughesNet, which matched what I'm seeing on testmy.net.   

Thanks.  

P.S.  Though I don't know that this has anything to do with it, I did have a modem software upgrade occur on Friday, though the Ubuntu ISO download happened AFTER that software update, about ten or eleven hours later, and the speed during that download was normal.  

Edit:  I forgot to mention that the tests have been run with a LAN cable connected desktop computer and with the WiFi in the modem disabled.

59 REPLIES 59
GabeU

The speed has come back up a bit, but nowhere near where it normally is, nor should be at 4:21AM EST.   

I've decided to download the Windows 10 20H2 ISO and just let it download while I sleep.  It's going, but slowly.  Normally it would finish in about 12 or 13 minutes.  It looks like this is going to take one or two hours, if it continues at this better speed.  If it goes back down to what it was, and with it being choppy like it was, it would probably take at least 12 hours or more.  I'm going to set my alarm to check it out in a couple of hours.  Hopefully it will be done so I can shut my system down, but again I'll leave the modem plugged in.

For reference, it's still okay for general browsing and such, though I did give up on a Youtube video earlier (just testing it).

GabeU

Well, after a significant amount of time the download got to about 90% and then pretty much just stopped.  The speed had dropped too low for it to continue.     

I then power cycled my modem and tried again, and it started very slow, then picked up speed a bit.  It seemed be going okay, though still slower than normal, and when it reached 72.9%, it hit a wall.  Again, the speed dropped so low and became so choppy that it just stopped.  More wasted Bonus data.  🙁

Microsoft's servers have always been really sensitive to both congestion and low speed, at least for me, but this is very unusual for this time of night.  

I have run a couple of tests this afternoon and the speeds are great, but this is during the day.  We'll see what tonight brings.

maratsade

I hope the mystery will be solved soon. 

GabeU

And BAM!

Capture1.png

That's not congestion.  It's like a switch, though I didn't catch it at the exact time it changed.

maratsade

Wow, weird.

Looks to me like the acceleration process stopped at the gateway.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

What could cause this to happen over multiple evenings within the same timeframe?

@MarkJFine wrote:

Looks to me like the acceleration process stopped at the gateway.

Processes die for all sorts of reasons. Bugs... low memory... inability to handle the load... timing issues... Could be anything. If this is the case, there really should be a daemon that automatically restarts the process, which if the case apparently didn't happen.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Get thee behind me, daemon! 😁

Thanks for the explanation, Mark. Hopefully they will figure out how to stop this from happening every evening. (Fire the old daemon, get a new one). 

Well, if it's not that, something put a severe enough choke hold over the path that was slow enough to prevent it from buffering up and spewing out at a higher speed.

Good morning Gabe,

Thanks for posting all this, this is curious. Did you power cycle the modem a few times this morning? That's what I'm seeing in the diagnostic logs, wanted to make sure it was you.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Good morning Gabe,

Thanks for posting all this, this is curious. Did you power cycle the modem a few times this morning? That's what I'm seeing in the diagnostic logs, wanted to make sure it was you.

-Liz

@Liz 

Yes.  I was trying to get the speed up, though it didn't seem to help.  The last time was due to forgetting to leave it on.  Once I remembered, which was few seconds after unplugging it for the night, I plugged it back in. The speed did eventually crawl back up a good bit, but still to nowhere near what it normally is, including during the evening.  

I also forgot to come back on and post that I was finally able to accomplish my Windows 10 ISO download.  I started it shortly after 4AM and it finished shortly after 5AM.  

Tonight I'm going to be sure to test a few times between 10:50PM and 11:10PM to see if whatever is going on is happening on the hour, being that it was sometime around there where it happened last night. 

Curious for sure.

maratsade

"I also forgot to come back on and post that I was finally able to accomplish my Windows 10 ISO download.  I started it shortly after 4AM and it finished shortly after 5AM. "

Excellent!

Ah, ok thanks for clarifying Gabe! Also curious to see if this is consistently happening around that time. While I didn't see any recent engineering reports about your beam in particular, Amanda investigated another possible lead which may/may not be a factor.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Ah, ok thanks for clarifying Gabe! Also curious to see if this is consistently happening around that time. While I didn't see any recent engineering reports about your beam in particular, Amanda investigated another possible lead which may/may not be a factor.

-Liz

I'm going to try to remember to keep checking the IPGW string as well.  Though I can't say for sure, I think when the slow speeds hit the last four are in the 1400s (from 1409 through 1412, I think), whereas at other times they're not.  Right now it's showing 1203 and my speeds are very good.  I could just be remembering it incorrectly, but I'll check nonetheless.  I'll get snapshots too, just in case.

Sounds like a plan, thanks Gabe!

-Liz

GabeU

@Liz 

There it is...

Capture.PNG

Sure enough, it's happening right around 11:00PM EST.  I set it up around 10:45PM to test automatically on a five minute interval.  The last three are spread further apart due to those tests taking considerably longer than normal (the time shown is when a test completes and logs its result).  Tomorrow night I'll try to remember to get a few tests that more closely straddle 11:00PM.   

The last four of the IPGW string appears to have nothing to do with it, as that hasn't changed.  

I don't normally ask for this, but is there any way I might be able to get a little token data to offset the data being used for the testing?

It'll be interesting to find out what's causing this.

GabeU

@Liz 

Yep, the change happens at 11:00PM EST on the nose.  I tried to run a test that would straddle the 10:59PM to 11:00PM change, so the drop could be seen in the individual test graph, but I mis-timed the attempt.  Still, it's plain as day.  Something changes at 11:00PM EST.

Capture.PNG

I also noticed something else very interesting.  Though I didn't think to get a snapshot of it earlier and only got one now, when I download a file the speed of the download, regardless of whether it's prior to 11:00PM or after, is like below.  

This following is AFTER 11:00PM (I always try to get the clock in the shot when necessary), but on two tries earlier this evening, and at a time when my testing speeds showed as great, it was identical.  It never broke 100KBps.  And this isn't just with a download from MSI (my motherboard manufacturer), but anywhere, like Glasswire and CCleaner.  With a download speed in the mid 40Mbps I should be zipping right through these file downloads, and I used to prior to this happening.  Something like what's below would normally take less than 30 seconds rather than 15 - 20 minutes.  

Capture1.PNG

Only VERY late at night (maybe 4:00AM or so) does the speed start picking back up a bit, and enough to download the nearly 5GB Windows ISO in around an hour or so, but it's still nowhere near what it was.  My speed would always drop a bit 2:00AM, when all those scheduled Bonus Zone downloads happen, and on the hour for each of the next three due to people in other time zones doing the same, though those latter ones didn't affect me as much, but by 2:30AM or 2:45AM or so my speed would be back up in to the mid - upper 40s, and that's not happening.   

I don't know around what time it is that it finally climbs back up into the 40Mbps range, as I'm not up at that time, but I'm guessing it's after 6:00AM, as the first night I had this problem I was still up at that point and the speed wasn't yet back to "normal" (as in the mid 40Mbps range).

I'll say it again:  I still don't know that this has anything to do with my modem software upgrade, but all of this started happening after Friday the 20th, when that software upgrade happened.  Still, I don't know how it would be possible for my modem to drop out like that at 11PM each night, like a schedule.

When I'm on again tomorrow during the day I'll try a couple of other file downloads for comparison, and I'll try to start remembering to get snapshots of anything that may be important, including those file downloads.

Edit:  Somehow, at around 3:15AM, and around the same time my testmy speed showed around 1Mbps, I was able to download a 518MB file from MSI in about two minutes.  I then tried the Windows 10 ISO download again, just as a test, and it absolutely crawled.  I stopped it due to already having it.  I then tried the MSI download again, and it was super fast.  I stopped that for the same reason.  Go figure.  I'm beginning to wonder about what Mark mentioned, as in the acceleration.  The 11:00PM thing is still the kicker.   And the problem with the daytime downloads, while the testmy speed shows as great, is a head scratcher too, as that problem didn't exist before either.

I'll leave my modem on again, just in case you need to look at anything.

Edit 2:  Just before shutting my computer down I tried downloading Linux Mint, just as a test.  It crawled.  I then tried Ubuntu and it was super fast.  I then tried CCleaner, which was 29MB, and it finished before I even had a chance to stop it.  So, different downloads give different results.  My testmy.net speeds, however, have now picked up, or at least with the test I just ran.  And I just tried Linux Mint again due to that testmy test being better.  Still slow.  Again, go figure.  I hope this extra bit of info helps. 

Acceleration isn't going to be selective about the path though. Path differences like that usually means something is occurring beyond the gateway, past the interface with the provider.

GabeU

@Liz 

As of tonight the issue appears to have dissipated.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

I ran about 20 tests, one right after the other, straddling the 11:00PM EST hour, and though there were a few dips it was nothing like it had been.

Hopefully the problem is gone, but I'll test again tomorrow night to see.  I'll leave my modem on again, just in case. 

I don't think I've ever tested so much.  LOL.