Hughesnet Community

Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

Is there any maintenance or anything like that going on with my Gateway (ES19, Roseburg OR(9)) or Beam (051) as of recent?   My late night speeds over the last couple of nights have plummeted, and during a time when they should be going up, not down.  Normally my speeds late at night are in the 30Mbps and 40Mbps range, and right now they're not even hitting 2Mbps, with one hitting only 572Kbps.  Earlier this evening a test around 9PM EST showed a speed of a test showed 27.54Mbps, which is about normal for me for that time of night.

I don't have a whole lot of tests in at this point for this issue, but you can already see how bad they are compared to what they normally are.  On early Saturday morning (3:00AM EST) I downloaded a 2.6GB Ubuntu file, and the speed was great.  Less than 48 hours later it's this.  🙁

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

I'll try to get a few more tests in tonight and then some during the day tomorrow.

I'll leave my modem plugged in so that you can look at my system if you need to.  I also ran a couple of tests at HughesNet, which matched what I'm seeing on testmy.net.   

Thanks.  

P.S.  Though I don't know that this has anything to do with it, I did have a modem software upgrade occur on Friday, though the Ubuntu ISO download happened AFTER that software update, about ten or eleven hours later, and the speed during that download was normal.  

Edit:  I forgot to mention that the tests have been run with a LAN cable connected desktop computer and with the WiFi in the modem disabled.

59 REPLIES 59

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for these updates, that's very interesting how that happened at 11PM like that. Glad to hear at least that it seems to have gone away, but do keep me in the loop if something wonky like that happens again.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@Liz 

I definitely will.

I hate to ask, but do you think I might be able to get a little token data for all this testing?

Also, could you please check on your computer's LAN settings for a "wake" or "sleep" setting of some sort? Let me know what its current setting is.

Some devices have such settings for the LAN to conserve power

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

GabeU

@Liz 

The adapter is set to the default, which is "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."  

I can pretty much guarantee that it's not this though, as the first couple of nights it was happening I also checked the speed with my phone and one night with my laptop.  All of them were doing the same thing, with my laptop trying via LAN and WiFi.  I also don't allow my computer to enter sleep mode.   

If this happens again I'll disable that feature as a troubleshooting step to see if it changes anything.

GabeU

@Liz 

It hit again, right at 11:00PM EST.  This time I not only disabled the sleep option for my adapter, I also changed computers for a few tests.  In my results, the tests labelled "5" are run with my normally used Ryzen 5 based desktop.  The tests with the little building symbol (Office), of which there are four at the time of this writing, were run using my Beelink GK55 mini pc.  Both were connected via LAN cable, and the WiFi is still disabled in the modem.  

I'm at a loss.

Good morning Gabe,

Thanks for this update, we (Amanda) is looking into it. I thought maybe the power supply or scheduled utility work in the area could be a cause, but then again we would see state codes related to radio issues, and those aren't popping up.

-Liz

GabeU

@Liz 

I appreciate the continued investigation. 

Just for the heck of it, I also checked with my folks and the other nearby neighbors in the off chance that they have something that automatically turns on or engages at 11PM, and they don't.  I didn't think anything they had could do this, but I've seen weirder things, so I figured it'd be best to ask.  If it stopped as "instantly" as it comes on right at 11PM it might help to point in some kind of direction, but that it dissipates gradually makes it even more confusing.  

Last night I forgot and unplugged my modem when I went to bed, then actually woke up and remembered, so I plugged it back in.  Should I continue to leave it plugged in, just in case it needs to be looked at?  Also, should I keep running the speed tests around 11PM if I'm still up and online at that time?  

If I didn't have that one night of good download speeds after the modem software update I would almost be convinced that it has something to do with it.

Let's hold off on the testing until we get more info. 

Also, just as I ask all the others who run speed tests, what's your general online experience now? I see you were able to complete that Linux update and Win 10 ISO download in spite of this unusual 11 pm slow down. Is general browsing on all sites slower? 

-Liz  

GabeU

@Liz 

Prior to the 11PM slowdown my general browsing seems to be normal.  After 11PM my general browsing is somewhat slower than normal, which is what first alerted me to the issue, but it's still okay for the most part.  Facebook and other data heavy pages take longer to load than they normally would, but not so long that it makes them unusable.  Youtube videos don't work very well at all, however.  Once the speed starts coming back up things get better.

On the night of the Linux download, which was around 3AM on Saturday morning, the slowdown problem hadn't yet appeared.  It didn't appear until Sunday night/Monday morning.  The night the Windows ISO download was finally completed it was after the speed had come back up a bit.  This was on early Tuesday morning, and the day after I first tried to download it (twice), which was early Monday morning.  Trying it when the speed was still bottomed out was a no go, as the "percentage complete" indicator wasn't moving from 0%, even after many minutes.    

I don't know if this is connected, but I have noticed that now, even before 11PM, trying to download a file of any real size is sometimes problematic.  Like right now I'm trying to download a Windows update.  It's been running for about a half hour and it's at 11%.  It believe the update is about 100MB to 120MB.  I'll know for sure when it's completed.  My present overall speed shows as 40.7Mbps on testmy.

I don't know how it's been at around 2:00AM the last couple of nights as I haven't been online at that time, but that's what I'm most concerned with, as it's around then, or a little after, that I tend to do my large downloads, like with ISOs or PlayOn Cloud files, so I don't affect my Service Plan data with those kinds of downloads. 

If it slows down at 11PM, but speeds back up within an hour or two, that's actually not a huge deal for me, as I'll still be able to complete my larger downloads after 2AM if I have any, though the mystery is still nagging.  It did seem to be improving the last couple of nights of being up that late, however.  It's also funny how on Sunday night (29th) the 11PM slowdown didn't hit very hard at all.  It was like it was being nice and giving me a break.  😂

Edit:  The Windows Update mentioned above ended up being 97.5MB.  It started downloading at 5:22PM and finished downloading at 7:26PM.  That's an average download speed of about 110Kbps, while my overall average speed was in the mid 40Mbps range at testmy.  Very weird.  Granted, my Windows Update download speeds have always been a bit "touchy".

Gotcha, thanks for painting me that picture Gabe!

-Liz

GabeU

@Liz 

To add a little to what I was referring to with really slow download speeds, even while both testmy and HughesNet's own tests say I have great speed (just tested at 50.2Mbps), this was while trying to load street view on Google Maps...

Capture.PNG

That spike centered around 10:54:40 PM was when I ran the testmy speed test.  This is a speed of 800Kbps (100KBps) and under, all while I'm supposed to have a speed of upward of 50Mbps.  It makes no sense.  This is, of course, with just my computer connected via LAN cable and the WiFi still disabled. 

A few minutes before this I had connected my Tracfone, and with a speed of 1.43Mbps, which you can see in my testmy.net results, the page load took around 10 seconds rather than nearly five minutes.  

And something even MORE weird.  I just tried the same and the street view page completed loading in about two minutes, which is better.  But, what I didn't realize is that it was after 11:00PM.  So, after 11:00PM, when my overall speed plummets, my file download speed goes up a bit, and to 4Mbps (500KBps)?  The Spike at 11:13PM is me starting to run a testmy test. The result of that test was 680Kbps.  It's almost as if, when my overall speed is in the 40Mbps, my file download speed sits at around 800Kbps (100KBps) or so, but when my overall speed plummets to sub 1Mbps levels, my file download speed exceeds it, at least with this.   Weird doesn't even begin to describe it!  LOL.  

Capture.PNG

Edit (12/15/2020): I subsequently noticed that the graphs show speed in bytes per second, not bits per second.  1Bps = 8bps.  I altered the text above to reflect this, and it puts the second pic in an even stranger light, as the file download speed was around four times higher than my testmy speed at that time, evidently.  It's Bizarro World!  😁

Good morning Gabe,

Wow that is something, thanks for sharing these screenshots. I'll discuss this update internally and see if we can get engineering input on this because I would expect you to get better speeds than that when directly connected.

Also, please keep your modem plugged in if you can so we can check the logs.

-Liz

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Also, please keep your modem plugged in if you can so we can check the logs. 

I will.  I wasn't quite sure if you needed this anymore, but I'll be sure to do so going forward.

Thanks Gabe! Have a good weekend!

-Liz

Hi Gabe,

Before we get into the weekend, please try out that tool I sent you in addition to running TMN speed tests if you experience that slowdown again around 11pm.

Thanks!

-Liz

GabeU

@Liz 

I'll do so.  I ran it a few times, including a couple after the slowdown started not long after downloading it, and it did show a slowdown in the total throughput.  I'll try doing so again after the 11PM slowdown this weekend.  

GabeU

@Liz 

At this point I don't know how much of the 11PM thing has to do with the Google Maps loading problem, including street view.  At around 8:42PM, while trying to load a satellite view, it's showing a loading speed of around 320Kbps (40KBps), while my overall speed shows as 38.2Mbps.  I did notice that it's in Bps, not bps, so the above post concerning this is put in a little different light.  Still, 320Kbps vs 38.2Mbps.  

Capture.PNG

Hmm that is odd... and it's just happening for Google Maps? Otherwise other sites are loading normally? Does this occur in the daytime as well?

-Liz

GabeU

@Liz wrote:

Hmm that is odd... and it's just happening for Google Maps? Otherwise other sites are loading normally? Does this occur in the daytime as well?

-Liz

No, not just Google Maps.  It's just that Google Maps is one of the most frustrating, as it's something I'm waiting for in the moment rather than, "I can install this later".  

This is just now...

capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

That's 619.2Kbps and 428.8Kbps, respectively, as what's above is in bytes per second.  

This is while getting a service speed of ~35Mbps.  I ran a speed test in between the two file download tests and then one after.  34Mbps and 38Mbps, respectively. 

Edit:  I didn't complete the downloads, as I don't need them.  I stopped each one shortly after taking the snapshot.  They were just for testing purposes.

Cool, thanks Gabe. I'm glad you also included a non-Microsoft download as well. 

-Liz

GabeU

@Liz 

I figured it would be best to.  I know that Microsoft downloads can sometimes be a bit temperamental.  That other one is for the Malwarebytes offline installer.